coolant pressure tester adapter for a 997TT

Alex

I'm trying to test the coolant system to try and locate a small coolant leak on my 997TT. Malcolm has been kind enough to lend me his pressure tester but it won't fit onto the 997TT reservoir cap without the special threaded adapter. Does anybody have one of those by any chance?

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

Thanks to a tip from Brodie I was able to order a Stant threaded adapter through Bowness Auto. Fingers crossed it'll be here tomorrow or Monday and toes crossed it'll be the correct one?!?:confused:

Alex

The adapter did arrive on Friday:

IMG_0337.JPG

Malcolm's coolant pressure tester:

IMG_0336.JPG

So I went ahead and performed the test by attaching the tester and adapter to the coolant reservoir:

IMG_0335.JPG

20+ minutes @ 16 psi = no leaks!

IMG_0334.JPG

Since it passed the test I decided to go ahead and put her on the road. I drove about 50 Km on Saturday with no issues. The leak has since not returned!

And so the mystery continues....as I had mentioned in an earlier thread, in late November I discovered a small puddle of coolant under the right side of the engine......???

I believe I read a post somewhere (probably Rennlist?) that mentioned a similar thing happening on their TT after it was exposed to cold weather for the first time. My 997TT is a Vancouver car and so it's probably never seen cold weather. It happened to be around -15C that week in November, so maybe that's the case???

Can anybody offer any insight on this?

Alex

Hi Alex ..

Given what you have tested & reported above, it is entirely possible that your TT had air entrained within the cooling circuit.

The engine may have cleared that air (burped if you wish) after the drive when you noted the puddle. The release of that air could have caused some of the liquid in the reservoir to be forced out of the overflow tube.

As long as your engine temperature remains constant when you are driving the car now, you likely have nothing further to worry about.

I will suggest you check your coolant level several times over your next few drives just to ensure no further coolant is lost.

Cheers!

Barnsey :cool:

Edited by Rick
great it worked out Alex and the test proved your car is good to go :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Thanks Rick and Malcolm!

OK, I did some more research and it seems like a faulty coolant expansion tank cap might possibly be the culprit here. Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to test the cap with my pressure tester set-up so I'll just buy a new one from SS and see if that fixes it! Malcolm do you mind if I hang on to your Stant pressure tester for awhile longer?

Alex

no worries Alex....make absolutely sure.

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

UPDATE!

I drove it a little more aggressively last week...still no leak...BUT...2 days later? Argggh there was the puddle on the right side again! The leak had stopped when the coolant level was just above the MIN mark in the tank. I performed the pressure test @ 16 psi again and 15 minutes later the leak resumed! SO I AM NO LONGER IN THE DENIAL STAGE GUYS! My TT has a leaking coolant hose. I was hoping to tackle this myself next fall but obviously this can't wait.

I've been in touch with Marc @ Alpineautowerks and have arranged for service in mid April, as we'll be away (Hawaii!!!) the first two weeks of April. I'll have him TIG weld the connections.

Now I'll ask the obvious.....with the engine out, what else should I address "while I'm in there?"::confused:

Just an FYI for all other 997.1TT owners, mine has 97K Kms.

Alex

KMR 968 Turbo
How old is the clutch? Are you planning any power upgrades? If so you might want to change the clutch. I guess it depends it you have a true engine out or if they can just lower the engine and fix your problem. Probably should inspect and replace any oil lines that might need to be changed.

I was going to pop in to see Marc tomorrow to discuss the repair so I'll bring up the clutch issue with him as well. As far as power upgrades Erik, I wasn't planning on any ....cause she has plenty enough for this old guy!...but the old saying does come to mind.."you can never have too much!"....correct?

Just perusing through all the posts on this topic on rennlist.com, it's truly alarming how widespread this coolant hose issue appears to be on TTs and GT3s (Gt2s too I guess?). So guys be forewarned! Rick comes to mind here.....Rick has your GT3 been upgraded to deal with this?....just passing this on!

Alex

• 4 weeks later...
Well she went in on Friday...back in a week or so!

Alex

Friday drive?

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Friday drive?

I doubt the car will be ready by then Malcolm because they looked really busy @ Alpine with P cars and a few BMWs all lined up for service. And besides I've got to go "open up and de-winterize" our place on Shuswap lake this w/e in preparation for summer activities!

Alex

Engine out!

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0373.JPG

Here's the culprit! (not my engine case but one that is currently in the shop)

IMG_0374.JPG

Close up view

IMG_0375.JPG

I'm having them install and TIG weld the Sharkwerks inserts for a more permanent fix.

I'll maybe get her back by Friday pm!

Alex

The pic is actually from another client's Turbo that is undergoing a complete rebuild that happened to be in the shop. Yes, you're looking at the replacement metal elbow already welded into place. However, I was told that the actual plastic elbow part didn't fail. It was the glue that was starting to give way. I imagine eventually that would have simply popped out and....well, you can probably figure out the outcome!

Alex

I should have her back tomorrow or Wednesday?!?

Alex

More pics from Marc@Alpine Autowerks:

This is where the main leak came from:

IMG_20150429_153024.jpg

He also found this connection which would have burst open very soon as the connection was already more than halfway out:

IMG_20150428_163342.jpg

Some of the welded Sharkwerks connections are shown here before re-install:

IMG_20150430_125705.jpg

Marc recommended changing all coolant hoses to the engine and turbos, as well as oil supply hoses as these may also cause problems down the road. Given that the engine was out already, I agreed. We also changed all spark plugs, fuel filter and all seals too. This service call cost me $$$...but I guess that price=peace of mind?

I did mention that I was hoping to delay doing this until late next fall but having seen how close I may have come to a so-called catastrophic event, I'm glad that I heeded the advice that I was given by the guys on Rennlist...thanks to all who posted on my thread!

So, with that, she should be good for many years (and P drives!) to come!

Cheers and I hope to join you guys on some drives very soon!

Alex

Thanks Brodie!

Ironically, just behind me at Alpine were three other Turbos in for exactly the same thing!.....misery loves company I guess!

On another note, my first official ride this year will take place tomorrow....Cheryl and I are celebrating our 24th Anniversary! Yes, she's put up with my shyte, P cars and all, for that long! Incidentally I did buy the '80SC just after our wedding back in '91.....like Erik and his Ferrari purchase, the SC was a wedding present TO MYSELF!.....Nothing wrong with that!

Anyway we're off to Banff and the Rimrock Hotel tomorrow! Hey! Short notice but anybody wanna join us for the drive up?

Cheers to all!

Alex

Thanks Brodie!

Ironically, just behind me at Alpine were three other Turbos in for exactly the same thing!.....misery loves company I guess!

On another note, my first official ride this year will take place tomorrow....Cheryl and I are celebrating our 24th Anniversary! Yes, she's put up with my shyte, P cars and all, for that long! Incidentally I did buy the '80SC just after our wedding back in '91.....like Erik and his Ferrari purchase, the SC was a wedding present TO MYSELF!.....Nothing wrong with that!

Anyway we're off to Banff and the Rimrock Hotel tomorrow! Hey! Short notice but anybody wanna join us for the drive up?

Cheers to all!

Happy Anniversary!

Weather should be good, wish we could join you but I have a full day on Saturday.

It's amazing how many times you hear about one of the glued coolant pipes being loose or half out on the Turbos.

Thinking I should do the preventative fix on mine for this years winter project.

Its ineresting for me to read your adventure and what issues the 911 turbos seem to have.

The early Cayennes also have a similar issue of glued water lines parting then leaking. In the Cayenne example the leak occurs in the middle of the V8 under the intake and on top of the starter then the coolant leaks into the the bell housing. For those looking to buy an earlier model be aware this issue is very serious to the life expentency to many major components. The newer models have the issue resolved by a revised factory part.

happy anniversary Alex :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T