Spring prep for the GT3

Rick

Good evening everyone ...

Took advantage of our early spring weather to service my 04 GT3 for the first time since purchasing the car in Dec. 2013.

This service was a simple Oil & Filter change, but allowed me to familiarize myself with the 996 generation car c/w the Mezger 3.6 motor.

image.jpg

Though water cooled, the Mezger engine still requires 9 litres of Mobil 1 (0W40) synthetic, a filter cartridge, several compression washers (both aluminum and copper) and two O rings. Supplies alone topped $200.00 exclusive of my time to complete the work.

After draining the used oil and closing up the bottom of the engine, I tackled the filter replacement in the cramped though accessible engine bay. After adding the first 6 litres of fresh oil, I ran the engine to allow the various pumps to draw the oil out of the reservoir, ensuring there was sufficient room to add the 3 remaining litres.

image.jpg

This job took a little more time than I estimated, however given this was my first time performing the work, I am now confident all subsequent oil changes will be completed in much less time.

I'm now ready for the 2015 season and look forward to seeing some of you at an upcoming WRR event. Maybe even Cars & Coffee in Mardiloop this coming Tuesday.

cheers!

Barnsey" :cool:

Edited by Rick
good job Rick...........0W20 didnt know that!

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Isn't 0w40 or 5w40 the only viscosity that's on the Porsche recommended oil list?

I've been using 5w40 Rottella T6 in the Turbo. Canadian Tire often has a sale on the 20L pails :)

Oops ... you are correct, I referenced the wrong oil? 0W40 is one of two viscosities recommended by Porsche ... and what I actually used.

I have corrected the original post above.

(Fyi: 0W20 is what my 2015 GMC Denali uses.)

Barnesy! :cool:

Edited by Rick
................I've been using 5w40 Rottella T6 in the Turbo. Canadian Tire often has a sale on the 20L pails :)

Interesting.......thats what I use in the Cayenne :)

The 928s get Amsoil 20W50 ZRod..........engines like the high zinc content and I like the preferred customer pricing.

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Hi Brodie, I use rotella t6 in my truck. I thought it was for diesel engines only. I looked on shells site and they say that it is for diesel engines. I dont want you to damage your motor.
Oops ... you are correct, I referenced the wrong oil? 0W40 is one of two viscosities recommended by Porsche ... and what I actually used.

I have corrected the original post above.

(Fyi: 0W20 is what my 2015 GMC Denali uses.)

Barnesy!

Kind of figured that was the case, lol. 0w20 is thin, any idea why they recommend that for the Denali?

Hi Brodie, I use rotella t6 in my truck. I thought it was for diesel engines only. I looked on shells site and they say that it is for diesel engines. I dont want you to damage your motor.

Lots of Turbo guys use Rotella and are happy. There are numerous forum threads about it.

A friend spoke with the guy who formulated it, who used to work for shell in F1, he said it was good for the 996tt.

Here's a little more info that was emailed to me:

I just read your post, another thing to note is the latest api rating, I believe is SN for gasoline engines. The issue with this to me is the zddp levels have been reduced to keep them out exhaust emission systems on the very latest cars, so the latest SN rated oil has the least of this stuff which is desirable in high performance engines.

Because T6 is a diesel oil its rated CJ-4 which the latest low sulfur rating. But it is also rated SN, SL, SH. Which according to API is:

SN - for 2010 and older automotive gasoline engines

SL - for 2004 and older automotive gasoline engines

SH - for 1996 and older automotive gasoline engines

I ran it in my 996TT very hard for all the time I owned it with T6. Never an issue and it cleaned up the typical puff of blue on some start-ups.

One could spend considerable time schooling themselves on the science behind combustion engine lubrication and Oil Formulations.

After reading the above, I can see how oil designed for service in a modem Diesel engine may be well suited to Turbo'd Pcars. Both diesels and Porsche flat sixs are high compression engines ... (Diesels being ultra high compression) and most modern diesels rely on turbo charging for maximum intake efficiency.

I'm certain there is more to consider than just these points, but testimonials above appear to bear this out.

cheers!

Barnsey :cool: