seasonal oil change

malcolm

Always a great topic of conversation I thought Id share what I do.

The cars (928s) are not driven in the winter, in fact they are not started. I run premium synthetic oil either Mobil 1 or Amsoil in the summer but change the oil and filter for winter storage. After draining the oil and removing the filter the drain plug is cleaned and re-installed with a fresh crush washer and new filter installed with a light film of fresh oil on the rubber gasket.

I then fill the engine with fresh oil of a lighter viscosity than summer and use a cheaper mineral oil (what ever is on good sale) then add fuel conditioner to a full tank and disengage the battery through a switch. The battery is trickle charged through a maintainer.

The cars sit all winter in this state waiting to be awakend in the spring. Once they've been started and taken around the block a few times the oil and filter is changed again to the summer weight full synthetics.

I know others do storage differently, the above is what I do and it works for my cars with no issues.:cool:

Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

All I do differently is I don't change the oil in the spring...just on that first drive make sure the oil gets up to operating temperature to evaporate the moisture the oil picked up.

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT