Winter project finished early!

Rick

Good evening everyone ...

Haven't had much to post on the tech front this season ... until now.

After travelling to the Historics' Racing in Monterey with several WRR members back in early August and seeing several 996 GT3 RS's up close ... I decided that adding a ram air scoop to my standard GT3 would be a reasonable (factory proven) modification and a logical compliment to the IPD plenum and larger (82mm) throttle body I added last winter.

The 996 GT3 RS differs in several areas with subtle modifications over the standard model. One of those is the addition of a ram air scoop on the rear deck lid.

This enhancement is touted (by Porsche) to add horsepower at the upper end of the cars speed range. It accomplishes this by forcing air into the filter box, pressurizing the intake track upstream of the throttle body by up to 2.2 psi. That pressure increase allows the engine to produce between 10 - 15 additional horsepower at speeds above 80 mph.

image.jpeg

After discovering that Porsche dealers aren't authorized to sell RS components for non RS cars, I had to take a more creative approach to sourcing the part/s I was after. I located the elusive ram air scoop as an after market part from FVD Brombacher in Germany.

The part arrived at my house within two weeks of ordering it. Thanks FVD.

http://FVD.de

The next step was to enlist the expert help of Cosmo's collision to prep the scoop, color match it to my car (Arctic Silver) and install it on the rear deck lid. That work took less than a week and the final result looks like it was there since the car left the factory in 2004.

image.jpg

I would like to express a big Thank You to Loc and his team @ Cosmo's Collision for the professional and prompt work they performed.

http://www.cosmoscollision.com

Looking forward to getting out for a late season drive to test the enhancement!

Will also have to review my wish list to determine what else might be worthwhile undertaking over the winter ... now that this work is complete.

Barnsey :cool:

Edited by Rick

very tasteful look and upgrade in HP Rick.

The driving report will be an interesting read :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Rick,

Looks and fits like it should...I like your style.

It's simple/functional mods like these that make us appreciate our cars that much more. This would have been a great news letter article for the PWR RR.

Thanks for sharing this with us, may all your mods come true....

Mike

84 944 SOLD

85 944/1

85.5 944 Parts car Sold

86 944 SOLD

86 944 Turbo SOLD

88 944S parts car sold

88 924S Sold

88 944 Turbo S SOLD

89 944 Turbo

90 944S2 coupe Sold

90 944S2 coupe Parts car Sold

90 944S2 Cabrio SOLD

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening

Took advantage of today's mild temperatures (when have we last had +12C on Nov.7th) to join Stirling MacArthur with his recently acquired 2007 Carrera C2S to get the GT3 out for one last run on the highway. I've been itching to determine if there would be a perceptible performance improvement since adding the ram air scoop to the GT3.

We made Canmore our destination ... and enjoyed a great lunch and conversation at the Hogshead Pub & Restauant.

Pleased to report that the car seemed to pull harder through the higher gears than before. Some of that improvement is likely due to the cooler air at this time of year. I will attribute the remainder to the ram air effect at the speeds 4th & 5th gear allow the car.

image.jpg

(photo by Kevin Johnson)

Tangible improvement or not ... the car remains absolutely amazing to drive. The sounds produced as the engine races to its' 8200 rpm red line ... ensure that the stereo is rarely if ever turned on while I'm behind the wheel.

Will now look for one more nice afternoon to wash the car and put it away till spring.

sincerely

Rick :cool:

Edited by Rick