Question about installing a new battery

dragon

Hi Dragon

I would recommend that you do not have any style of battery charger connected while you are handling the new battery. There is considerable energy contained in a battery, even an old tired one. If you accidentally create a circuit between the battery and a metal point on the car the resulting arc can be very large and potentially ruin electronic components throughout the car.

Having the trickle charger connected (whether or not you are manipulating the battery into position) increases the inherent energy that could be released if you accidently create a short circuit.

Regarding your second question, I wouldn't recommend omitting the vent tube from your battery installation, unless the battery is a 100% sealed unit.

The vent is designed to remove hydrogen gas produced by the chemical reaction the battery undergoes to store electricity. (Hydrogen gas is produced when the battery is charging) That gas can easily explode if exposed to a spark or flame, often with enough energy to blow the battery case apart while spraying sulphuric acid into the surrounding compartment.

So, don't leave the charger connected while handling the battery and be certain to install the vent tube.

sincerely;

Barnsey :cool:

Edited by Rick

Thanks for the info Rick, after reviewing what I wrote, I think I could have answered my own questions lol.

I was getting the trickle charger & those memory saver devices mixed up.

The only battery I would run without a vent tube would be a completely sealed unit. I thought most AGM batteries were sealed units without vent tubes but found some do have vent tube ports as well.

Yoon.........the memory saver is a relatively low power device (from an amperage perspective) compared to a trickle charger and is used when disconnecting the battery completely from the car. Not sure where the connections are on your model but the Cayennes are under the hood and clearly explained in the owners manual. Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Hi again Yoon

I should have clarified if you meant a trickle charger vs a memory saver ... my bad. Forgive my "geeking out" and imparting the physics/chemistry lesson in my original reply!

Barnsey :cool:

Hey Rick, no worries, isn't "geek the new chic"?

I'm sure someone reading the thread will learn something new or be reminded of something they forgot.

See you on the road soon!