Starting

Frank Kelly

Frank Kelly

I am experiencing trouble starting my 2012 Boxster Blk Ed. Porsche. When the clutch is pushed to the floor and the key is turned it does not always start. The warning lights all come on. It may take 30 seconds before it will start after many turns of the key. Bought the car new in 2011. last few years this problem has been a concern. In Feb. this year had the switch replaced. This weekend it was acting up again. What can I do about this problem?

Frank Kelly

hi Frank,

couple of points to clarify:

when was the last tune up? spark plugs, coils etc.

health of battery? does the engine turn over at normal speed when attempting to start?

which switch was replaced? ignition?

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Lots of possibilities that have been suggested already.

With the greater electrical loads seen in the newer cars, the oem batteries don't seem to last as long as they used to either.

Wouldn't hurt to check the battery health.

Could be the gapping on the spark plugs.

Could be the alternator.

Could be a poor or loose ground.

If you can get your hands on a Durametric cable to see what codes are being thrown it might give you some good clues.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Hello Frank ...

Regret you are experiencing trouble with your Boxster.

Will assume you were referring to the ignition switch as the item you just replaced.

Background: Modern cars (especially those with manual transmissions) have a safety interlock between the clutch and

ignition. This interlock prevents the driver from starting the car with the transmission engaged. The interlock ensures the clutch is depressed (disengaging the transmission) before the starter is permitted to engage.

The sensing mechanism is typically a micro switch or some form of proximity sensor. If the switch/sensor is worn or obstructed the engine management system (ECU) will not be able to confirm the clutch is depressed and therefore won't permit the starter to engage.

I will suggest you locate this sensor on your car, and confirm it is operating properly. There may be an adjustment mechanism that allows you to ensure the clutch travel is sufficient to activate the sensor.

A simple test to verify this diagnosis is to push the clutch pedal fully to the floor and attempt to start the car.

I do not own a Boxster nor a Boxster repair manual but found this write up on Pelican parts which would seem to validate the diagnosis above.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/93-ELEC-Pedal_Switches/93-ELEC-Pedal_Switches.htm

Let us know how you make out!

rgds;

Barnsey :cool:

Edited by Rick
Frank Kelly

Tune up done in March 2016, spark plugs replaced.

When it starts the engine turns over like it should.

Battery checked out good.

Apparently clutch switch was not replaced.

They suggested if problem re-occurs clutch pedal switch should be replaced.

Apparently clutch switch was not replaced.

They suggested if problem re-occurs clutch pedal switch should be replaced.

Good to know..........when the issue occurs does the engine turn over with the clutch pedal depressed and not start or does the starter not engage? If the latter then I would also test the clutch switch and replace if found faulty.

good luck.

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

• 10 months later...

Is it possible that the floor mat is stopping the clutch from fully depressing? Don't ask how I know.☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

mrdunlop944
What a terrific group of enthusiast. +1 clutch switch....what Perci said..floor mat can cause this issue.

84 944 SOLD

85 944/1

85.5 944 Parts car Sold

86 944 SOLD

86 944 Turbo SOLD

88 944S parts car sold

88 924S Sold

88 944 Turbo S SOLD

89 944 Turbo

90 944S2 coupe Sold

90 944S2 coupe Parts car Sold

90 944S2 Cabrio SOLD