Chocolate Almond Biscotti

KevinJ

Those who were on the Wednesday departure to Escape got to enjoy some home made biscotti Jane made a couple of nights prior to our depart. A few even asked for recipe, so here it is. Enjoy them with your coffee!

Kevin and Jane

Chocolate Almond Biscotti

(credit to Judy Wood of the great Muse food stores here in Calgary)

4 dozen

1.5 cups of toasted almonds, skins still on or toasted hazelnuts (I have only made this with almonds)

3 cups all purposed flour

2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 tsp Baking soda

1 tsp Baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup, (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, room temperature

2 cups sugar

3 large eggs

1.5 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 tsp almond extract

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Line heavy large baking sheets with parchment paper. Grind in processor or chop very finely 1/2 cup of the toasted almonds or hazelnuts. Set aside. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Beat butter and sugar in another large bowl to blend. Add eggs and vanilla and almond extract and beat until well blended. Beat in flour mixture. Mix in 1 cup whole toasted almonds, chocolate chips and 1/2 cup ground almonds.

Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces. Shape each piece on the baking sheet into a 2.5 inches wide by 14 inches long log. (messy task since dough is quite gooey). Place logs on the baking sheet (on the parchment paper) at least 2 inches apart since they will spread in baking. (I use a separate sheet for each log since my baking sheets aren’t that big). Bake until logs feel firm when tops are gently pressed, about 35 minutes. Cool logs on baking sheet 10 minutes, but keep maintaining oven temperature at 350F.

Using a long wide spatula, transfer baked logs to cutting board. Using serrated knife, cut warm logs crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices. Arrange slices, cut side down, on 2 baking sheets. Bake biscotti until firm, about 10-11 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool completely. Store in airtight container 4 days or wrap in foil and freeze in resealable plastic bags up to 3 weeks. (I have tended to just freeze them in a tupperware container and they taste great frozen too!).

Jane

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

• 5 years later...

Kevin,

Just stumbled upon this.....brings back memories from a few weeks ago.

I will be putting this to use.

Thanks

Mike

84 944 SOLD

85 944/1

85.5 944 Parts car Sold

86 944 SOLD

86 944 Turbo SOLD

88 944S parts car sold

88 924S Sold

88 944 Turbo S SOLD

89 944 Turbo

90 944S2 coupe Sold

90 944S2 coupe Parts car Sold

90 944S2 Cabrio SOLD

Your spending way too much time on the forums if you found this post from 5 years ago!

They are addictive, as the roundness of my tummy can testify to.

Kevin

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

Hah... 2 of our guests today were looking at this thread. I knew right away that it something you posted....I Couldn't resist but to read up on this CAB they left a taste in my mouth, been chasing the dragon since.

Mike

84 944 SOLD

85 944/1

85.5 944 Parts car Sold

86 944 SOLD

86 944 Turbo SOLD

88 944S parts car sold

88 924S Sold

88 944 Turbo S SOLD

89 944 Turbo

90 944S2 coupe Sold

90 944S2 coupe Parts car Sold