1970 911E Build

coldstorageunit

coldstorageunit

Hi All,

I started another thread a few months back on the subject of body shop recommendations, but I wanted to consolidate the build into one thread so it's easier to keep track of, and also selfishly so people can see it and offer their advice and recommendations on it throughout.

I picked up a 1970 911E last fall. The body was in fairly bad shape and the engine in pieces in the back seat. Thanks to Loc for the recommendation of Kelly Ulmer for the body work, that process is in hand currently and should be done later this year. Kelly is working on my car out at his place in Aldersyde.

Here's the car as purchased. Previous owner had converted it to a 1974+ look with the short hood and accordion bumpers and the 930 rear quarters. I'm bringing it back to more of the original 1970 look but with the fender flares, and of course don't want it to look too much like Loc's Carrera either :)

IMAG0338.jpg

I've ordered some replacement panels from a few places, including Restoration Design out in Guelph. So Kelly is working on getting the body all sorted out.

In the meantime I'm starting on dealing with the engine and hoping to do this part of the build myself. Anyone with some experience or advice on options for a 2.2L build are more than welcome. At this point it looks like swapping the crank to the 70.4mm one from the 2.4/2.7L cars is one of the best and most cost-effective options recommend in the Wayne Dempsey engine rebuild book. Otherwise I'd be having to change cams and P's and C's and other bits to hot rod the engine any more.

Anybody else done any similar work to one of the earlier magnesium case engines (2.0/2.2L) to soup them up a bit?

Here's some pics of the teardown:

Down to the Crankcase:

IMG_0029.jpg

Pistons and Cylinders stripped out and almost ready to split the case:

IMG_0036.jpg

And then managed to strip one of these babies despite all the warnings I heard and read to be careful with this step. And unfortunately it was the very last bolt that stripped.

IMG_0035.jpg

Once I solve that flywheel bolt issue I'll be cleaning everything up and then I'm thinking the rebuild kit from Pelican is probably my best and easiest route forward...

Hi, you can try the Performance handbook by Bruce Anderson , has some very interest built suggestion for 2.0 l engine.

2018 991.2 GTS

2018 Cayenne

1989 Carrera 3.2

coldstorageunit

Thanks Loc. I have that book as well. Bruce recommends swapping in P's and C's from a 2.7RS or the 2.8RSR to bring the displacement up to 2.5L or 2.6L respectively on my engine with the shorter throw crank.

I'll definitely be looking at that option as well, just depends on whether it's easier to get the 70.4mm crank or the upsized P's and C's...

Uh, I don't know much about engine...hope to see your engine in the metal one days...aim thinking of rebuild my Carrera engine to get about 260 HP then I am happy:

- Base 3.2 at 217 HP rebuild to Euro Spec with higher compression = 230 HP

- After Market throttle body

- SSI header and Dansk muffler with Steve Wong chip, hopefully this give me another 30HP and higher mid range torque.

Wishing you all the best with your engine rebuild.

2018 991.2 GTS

2018 Cayenne

1989 Carrera 3.2

coldstorageunit

Anybody have any recommendations for a good engine builder shop here in Calgary that has experience with our old air-cooled 911 engines?

In the process of tearing down my engine I discovered that its not original to the car and is in fact a "T" type engine and not an "E" like the rest of the car. This means it has the cheaper all cast cylinders and the non-counterweighted crankshaft.

So now I have some decisions to make on what to do with the engine. I could rebuild it to 2.2E or S spec at some expense, or since I'm changing P's and C's and heads already then maybe its worth upping the displacement as well to get a little more HP out of it.

mrdunlop944
Marc at Alpine...

84 944 SOLD

85 944/1

85.5 944 Parts car Sold

86 944 SOLD

86 944 Turbo SOLD

88 944S parts car sold

88 924S Sold

88 944 Turbo S SOLD

89 944 Turbo

90 944S2 coupe Sold

90 944S2 coupe Parts car Sold

90 944S2 Cabrio SOLD

coldstorageunit
Thanks! I'll give him a shout. I'm looking to do as much of the rebuild myself as possible, but I'm sure I could some advice and there will definitely be some machine shop work and other services required that I can't do myself.
coldstorageunit

In other news, I ended up grinding the head off the stripped flywheel bolt and now have the engine fully disassembled into its constituent parts.

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Wow, I am very Itching to take my engine a part and rebuild to 260 HP ( not sure if it is attainable? )

Would love to have a chance to look at your build as I want to do mine myself over the winter.

Edited by cosmos

2018 991.2 GTS

2018 Cayenne

1989 Carrera 3.2

mrdunlop944

Marc will have an answer to all your questions..and I wouldn't hesitate to have him do as much of the rebuild as possible.

His old school knowledge of Porsche date back to the air cooled and front engine water cooled era. Nothing he hasn't seen before.

84 944 SOLD

85 944/1

85.5 944 Parts car Sold

86 944 SOLD

86 944 Turbo SOLD

88 944S parts car sold

88 924S Sold

88 944 Turbo S SOLD

89 944 Turbo

90 944S2 coupe Sold

90 944S2 coupe Parts car Sold

90 944S2 Cabrio SOLD

coldstorageunit

Sounds good Loc, I'll let you know when I get started on the rebuild so you can come have a look. It might be a month or two before I decide on the direction I'm taking and get all the parts order in.

I did send Marc at Alpine a note earlier this week but haven't heard anything back yet. I'll try him again next week.