does the spare tyre work? :)

malcolm

My Cayenne being a 2009 comes with a factory equipped spare tyre, jack and tools and this Thursday put them all to good use on the side of a very busy, start to a long weekend, QEII.

On my 2nd trip to Edmonton this week (very busy work week) I was 'cruising' homeward when the dash lit up RED!!!! stating I had lost air pressure in a tyre and it was flat. No drama at all from the vehicle other than it did have an abnormal list I slowed and eventually found a pull off point North of Innisfail. Cycling through the onboard readouts 3 of 4 pressures read normal but the right rear was zero psi :(.

Out the vehicle, rear hatch open I started the process of:

ensure the Cayenne was on a relatively flat surface, pull the tools, jack and spare tyre from the storage location in the rear hatch, break the 5 wheel bolts loose, remove the cover from the lower body moulding, raise the vehicle with the jack, remove wheel bolts, insert wheel support, pull the wheel, install spare, install 4 of 5 wheel bolts, remove wheel support, install last wheel bolt.

The spare tyre is a space saver type so it has to be inflated with the factory supplied air hose using the air compressor (Cayenne GTS's have air suspension) port under the front passenger seat. With the air hose connected to the port and other end to the spare tyre valve, start the engine, build air pressure and inflate the tyre until it pops out and looks like a 'normal' doughnut type spare........quite an experience but it works.

After tyre was filled to recommended pressure, lower the vehicle, remove jack, final tighten wheel bolts, load vehicle with blown tyre, jack and tools then back on the hwy.......less then 30 mins :)

The blown tyre is a Pirrelli N rated of correct size for the factory 21" wheels with approx. 30k kms bought and installed new this spring from our local dealership. The failure was not a problem of the tyre but something I ran over that put a big hole in the middle of the tread which could NOT be repaired. My local Kaltire couldn't source an exact replacement and wanting to have the vehicle for the long weekend I made some phone calls.

A couple of calls to Keaton and off I went to pick up a new tyre from the dealership who not only had stock but also honoured the great price I got in the spring. New tyre was installed, wheel balanced then installed and the spare deflated and put in the rear hatch.

Now as interesting as the story has been the hardest part of it all was getting all the air out of the spare so it was sufficiently collapsed to fit in the original position then fit the jack and tools in their respective spots. After sober contemplation I decided that with the valve core out I should take a refreshment break to allow enough time and with everything out of the hatch the spare was returned to its OEM position with the jack and tools, cover installed.....job done :)

moral of the story; if your vehicle has a spare tyre perhaps read the owners manual and take sometime when home with some 'spare' time to get familiar with the process. I was fortunate it was warm dry and during afternoon daylight.....be very different on a cold snowy winters dark night.

btw..........when at the Porsche dealership I bumped into 2 club members; another car to add to the stable gents? :)

Edited by malcolm
adding more txt

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

My Cayenne being a 2009 comes with a factory equipped spare tyre, jack and tools and this Thursday put them all to good use on the side of a very busy, start to a long weekend, QEII.

On my 2nd trip to Edmonton this week (very busy work week) I was 'cruising' homeward when the dash lit up RED!!!! stating I had lost air pressure in a tyre and it was flat. No drama at all from the vehicle other than it did have an abnormal list I slowed and eventually found a pull off point North of Innisfail. Cycling through the onboard readouts 3 of 4 pressures read normal but the right rear was zero psi :(.

Out the vehicle, rear hatch open I started the process of:

ensure the Cayenne was on a relatively flat surface, pull the tools, jack and spare tyre from the storage location in the rear hatch, break the 5 wheel bolts loose, remove the cover from the lower body moulding, raise the vehicle with the jack, remove wheel bolts, insert wheel support, pull the wheel, install spare, install 4 of 5 wheel bolts, remove wheel support, install last wheel bolt.

The spare tyre is a space saver type so it has to be inflated with the factory supplied air hose using the air compressor (Cayenne GTS's have air suspension) port under the front passenger seat. With the air hose connected to the port and other end to the spare tyre valve, start the engine, build air pressure and inflate the tyre until it pops out and looks like a 'normal' doughnut type spare........quite an experience but it works.

After tyre was filled to recommended pressure, lower the vehicle, remove jack, final tighten wheel bolts, load vehicle with blown tyre, jack and tools then back on the hwy.......less then 30 mins :)

The blown tyre is a Pirrelli N rated of correct size for the factory 21" wheels with approx. 30k kms bought and installed new this spring from our local dealership. The failure was not a problem of the tyre but something I ran over that put a big hole in the middle of the tread which could NOT be repaired. My local Kaltire couldn't source an exact replacement and wanting to have the vehicle for the long weekend I made some phone calls.

A couple of calls to Keaton and off I went to pick up a new tyre from the dealership who not only had stock but also honoured the great price I got in the spring. New tyre was installed, wheel balanced then installed and the spare deflated and put in the rear hatch.

Now as interesting as the story has been the hardest part of it all was getting all the air out of the spare so it was sufficiently collapsed to fit in the original position then fit the jack and tools in their respective spots. After sober contemplation I decided that with the valve core out I should take a refreshment break to allow enough time and with everything out of the hatch the spare was returned to its OEM position with the jack and tools, cover installed.....job done :)

moral of the story; if your vehicle has a spare tyre perhaps read the owners manual and take sometime when home with some 'spare' time to get familiar with the process. I was fortunate it was warm dry and during afternoon daylight.....be very different on a cold snowy winters dark night.

btw..........when at the Porsche dealership I bumped into 2 club members; another car to add to the stable gents? :)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160903/7f3b89c5537dd941cec674f8e2b04fed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Thx Yoon....never had too many flats on any of my cars....this worked out as well as it could.

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

I should add the hole in the tyre was in the middle of the tread, considerable in size and the cause object was gone....no way any insertion of goop was going to repair at side of the hwy.

Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T