2017 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 Mile Events

vr6tee

After contemplating driving 40 hours to attend a few 1/2 mile events this year, I looked into hosting some closer events.

I found an airstrip 1/2 hour from South Calgary where I can host full 1/2 mile events. I posted my first event for June 3rd on Facebook and it filled up in the first hour it was posted. I thought of the Porsche club after the list was full. I'm going to host 1 or 2 more events this year and will open it up to this club first for anyone who wants to see what their car can run in a timed, legal environment. I'm just finishing the design of a full NHRA 1/8 - 1/4 mile timing system with additional 1/2 mile timing. I'm pretty excited to get my car out and do some high speed testing.

If you're interested in attending a future event, let me know and I'll keep your name for the list before I open it to others.

James

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vr6tee

• dragon

• 9Elfer

• anon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would enter a car. It won't be setting any records but would still be good to let it run!

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke SOLD!

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon

• 4 weeks later...
mrdunlop944
I would like to come and hang out, watch some real power run the mile.

84 944 SOLD

85 944/1

85.5 944 Parts car Sold

86 944 SOLD

86 944 Turbo SOLD

88 944S parts car sold

88 924S Sold

88 944 Turbo S SOLD

89 944 Turbo

90 944S2 coupe Sold

90 944S2 coupe Parts car Sold

90 944S2 Cabrio SOLD

hey all....

I haven't checked this board in a while. I've pounded away on the timing system over the past month and will be testing it all out in the next week. I'm really excited about this as it brings together many of my passions. Electronics, 3D printing, database development, web development AND of course drag racing. Here are some pictures of the hardware I've built for the events.

\guard_inside1.JPG

guard1.JPG

laser1.JPG

nodes1.JPG

tree1.JPG

wiring1.JPG

The first event is June 3rd, and filled up in an hour or 2. I want to reserve the first slots for this club on the next event. I think a Porsche dominated event would be amazing. I have an 4K drone, go-pro cameras and a semi-pro photographer coming to the events so we can get some incredible video/photos of the event that you can keep for your lifetime. I don't have a date yet as this first event hasn't happened yet, but would like to schedule something for the beginning of August.

I had better get a tune so I'm not bumping up against the 155 mph speed limiter. And while I'm in there . . .

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke SOLD!

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon

I might take you up on that offer. I have 1001 things to test on its maiden voyage. We'll be testing it at the strip in the next week or 2. I have a few last pieces of hardware to finish before we test. The hard stuff is all done :)
James I am planning to attend but just as a spectator, or give you a hand if you need some help.

Marc

Sounds good. The list is long full, but I may have the power to add a car if needed ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

James has allowed me to post the details of this event as some WRR members have expressed an interest in attending. The club executive agrees that we should give this event publicity in spite of the fact that this is a **non-PCA sanctioned**event. James was overwhelmed with requests to participate during his original Facebook post and had to cap the number of cars at 50, so the event is essentially sold-out. There is a possibility that he may run another event this summer and give interested WRR members first opportunity to register - stay tuned for info. For June 3rd (also day 1 of the 35th Anniversary Weekend!!), he will welcome spectators. Look for details shortly on our events calendar.

Marc

The timing system is officially done! We have scheduled testing for Monday. The system performed beautifully on the bench in a test scenario. Can't wait to test it Monday fulll Scale!