Help finding a shop willing to paint my 911 in Calgary Area

Dennis Kalma

Dennis Kalma

OK, I am officially confused.

I decided that, considering my health and personal situation, I needed to speed up my 911 project by getting a good body shop to prime, block sand and paint the car.

The car is completely stripped of everything (no suspension, interior, wiring, engine....everything off) and is sitting on a rollable stand:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads26/DSCN2063_001_011490738011.JPG

I want them to strip/sand/blast as needed, prime, paint and return to me.

I am not asking them to do any reassembly or body work, there is no rust on the car anywhere, I have told them that I will paint the bumpers myself (as that is all my own custom sheet metal work....so they do not take any risk on my potentially "bad" workmanship), I am willing to supply the paint if needed.

Three shops, Maranello, Contemporary Coachworks and Calgary Coachworks, all reputable, high quality shops have turned me down flat....not even willing to look at the car or quote me a price. They say they do not do "restoration work"....which makes me think I am barking up the wrong tree, metaphorically speaking.

I am not even asking for them to do it on the cheap....the budget is $10,000+ just for the paintwork....and no one will even consider it.

So, am I asking the wrong way? Am I speaking to the wrong shops (these all came highly recommended)?

Anyone in Calgary area know of a paint/body shop willing to take this on or am I going to have to paint this one myself, just as I painted the last one (pic below)?

Help??

Dennis

My current driver in its current condition and yes, I painted it myself in my garage:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads26/911_in_park1490738492.jpg

Have you tried Cosmos?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

mrdunlop944
Cosmos=porsche certified.

84 944 SOLD

85 944/1

85.5 944 Parts car Sold

86 944 SOLD

86 944 Turbo SOLD

88 944S parts car sold

88 924S Sold

88 944 Turbo S SOLD

89 944 Turbo

90 944S2 coupe Sold

90 944S2 coupe Parts car Sold

90 944S2 Cabrio SOLD

Hi Dennis. I know Cosmos does 'restorations' so +1 to the above, but because of that he is very busy, if time is a factor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

Dennis, I've been following your build on Pelican Parts. It's great to see it's nearing completion. I always toy with the idea of doing a backdate as well!

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke SOLD!

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon

Damn...after seeing your previous build I can't wait to see how this one progresses!

Dennis doesn't do average, and the results tend to stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

Dennis Kalma
Hi Dennis, If you are a Porsche club member then Yes is the answer ! come down to the shop and see me.Loc

I am a long time Porsche club member....back to 1990 if memory serves and thank you for your offer, it is so great to hear.

I will try to make it to your shop tomorrow or Friday and we can chat...

Thanks so much!

Dennis

Dennis Kalma
Dennis doesn't do average, and the results tend to stunning.

You are most kind my friend, thank you for your kind words.

Hope you are well,

Dennis

Keith Adams

Dennis,

Loc's work is stellar. Ken at Concept-1 has been using him for his personal and customer paint and they never disappoint. Unlike some of those others, Loc loves working on old Porsches too!

• 4 weeks later...
I am a long time Porsche club member....back to 1990 if memory serves and thank you for your offer, it is so great to hear.

I will try to make it to your shop tomorrow or Friday and we can chat...

Thanks so much!

Dennis

Hi Dennis, I keep thinking about your situation, bugged me for the last week so I decided to hold off on my VW and give you the spot, I have to see y our car first. Loc

2018 991.2 GTS

2018 Cayenne

1989 Carrera 3.2

• 4 weeks later...
Dennis Kalma
Hi Dennis, I keep thinking about your situation, bugged me for the last week so I decided to hold off on my VW and give you the spot, I have to see y our car first. Loc

Hi there Loc, sorry about the very late reply, I was back home in Europe for the last month, off the grid and just got back.

Thanks an awful lot for the offer, but I know how much that VW means to you and how long you have been waiting to get it on the road in all of its glory.....so I really can't in good conscience ask you to delay it even further to work on my car.

Your offer is exceptionally kind, and I really, really appreciate it, you run an amazing shop doing absolutely fabulous work, but I just couldn't ask you to do that for me.

Thanks again so very much and take care...

Dennis