Service Basics experience

Perci

I was reading a post on another forum where somebody wanted to start doing their own maintenance, but didn't know where to get started. There are vocational schools that may teach beginner stuff, but can "we the people" of PCA help our own? Sometimes all they need is to get over the fear of the unknown.

I suggest that we use this thread so members who want to learn can connect with members who change their own oil, brake fluid, brake pads, rotors, etc. Heck, the All Girls Garage event is getting the girls more experience then some of the guys!.

So post what you'd like to know, and other members please contact them when you are planning basic maintenance. I will.

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

I have considerable experience with many aspects of maintenance with Porsche cars as do several other club members.

From oil changes (engine, trans., diff), brakes, suspension, clutch, intake/fuel injection, ignition, wheels, tyres, exhausts and torque tubes.

As a telecom engineer I know as few things about electrical stuff also.

Glad to help if possible :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I drive a '99 boxster (second owner with only 115k kms) and most likely I need new brakes/pads with my next service appointment.

What rotors and pads should I use to replace the originals to improve braking?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Harry

hi Harry............welcome to the club.

There are many options for brakes and the decision is really how and where the car is driven.

Porsche brakes are well designed and engineered so unless you feel the stock system perfectly operating is inadequate I'd stick with those albeit with a slightly more aggressive pad.

Before making the decision Id flush and bleed the fluid and check rotors & pads for any glazing. The brake system can be fully tested on empty highway and repeated very hard braking from max hwy speed.......good luck.

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Perci, this is a fantastic idea!

I have access to Google and no fear, so I've been learning a ton myself. I'd be happy to connect with any club members looking for advice on the mechanical front, particularly with aircooled cars. I'd also be interested in attending, or assisting with, more formalized club "wrenching" events. My only issue is very limited time - stupid work getting in the way of car fun!

I do my own Porsche maintenance work (plus I wrench on my more modern VW and BMW!) I've done oil/trans fluid changes, valve adjustment, cap and rotor, and have replaced pads and rotors, and refreshed the suspension. Upcoming projects will include rebuilding CV joints, and eventually, building a new 2.2 or 2.4 litre motor for one of my cars. Also I have a 915 transmission that's in rough shape and may need some work, and a 901 transmission I haven't road tested yet.

On the other hand, I'm looking to learn more about metalwork/body and paint.

Re brakes: I redid my 911 SC with all stock components, which were expensive but effective. Porsche braking components are typically regarded as being quite good - Porsche 996 calipers and rotors are a popular and effective upgrade for the e36 BMW, for instance. I'm guessing if the Boxster does need an upgrade, then there's probably a Porsche OEM parts bin option that would bolt up (maybe 996 Turbo??), but that might necessitate a bigger wheel/tire ... while also being quite expensive, if purchased new!

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke SOLD!

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon

Thanks Malcolm,

The brakes are OEM and working fine, I thought to throw it out to see the response.

no worries..........as suggested; refresh the fluid with DOT4 and bleed, dont change anything else then go for a spiritied drive :)

have fun

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T