new rubber - Spec R

malcolm

my summer tyres were worn out when I swapped over to winters last fall so have been shopping for new rubber for this upcoming season. Theres not much choice for hi perf all seasons in the uber large 21" Cayenne GTS/Turbo size until now.

Conti have a new Extreme Contact DWS 06 tyre thats available in the correct 295/35 R 21 and Spec R provide great pricing, warranty etc.

It shall be interesting to compare to the soft Pirrelli Zero I had on that lasted ~50k kms.

Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

And they come with an 80 000 km warranty that will almost certainly be useful. I just had some put on my CTT last Friday as it turns out.

Jim

17 black/black Audi R8 V10 Plus - still within the VW family! a few minor upgrades

12 black/black Cayenne Turbo - a few minor cosmetic enhancements

91 black/black/black 911 C4 Cab - keeping it pretty OEM and basic

how do you like them so far Jim?

Ive only just 100km on mine; first impressions are grippy on dry pavement considering theyre brand new.

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

So far so good. Responsive for sure. Actually handled the bit of snow we had last Monday quite well all things considered.

Jim

17 black/black Audi R8 V10 Plus - still within the VW family! a few minor upgrades

12 black/black Cayenne Turbo - a few minor cosmetic enhancements

91 black/black/black 911 C4 Cab - keeping it pretty OEM and basic

So far so good. Responsive for sure. Actually handled the bit of snow we had last Monday quite well all things considered.

Ive a few 100 Kms on them now; smooth and quiet on hwy and handle dirt roads with some muddy section well.

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

How was Spec R to deal with? Looking to change over winters to summers and worried about scratched rims. Any feedback on that? And is Hunter Road Force balancing a good option? I've read about it, not sure it is necessary. Any guidance is appreciated.
How was Spec R to deal with? Looking to change over winters to summers and worried about scratched rims. Any feedback on that? And is Hunter Road Force balancing a good option? I've read about it, not sure it is necessary. Any guidance is appreciated.

I dealt with Kyle who is great, I did my homework and knew pricing for them to meet/beat.

No worries re. rims; they removed the old and mounted new with no issues.

HRF balancing gets the wheels and tyres in harmoney; a must for exploring the cars as theyre meant to be driven! :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Just an update - I emailed Kyle mid-afternoon today (Saturday) for a quote and my cell rang 30 min later. Not used to that type of response in Calgary. So far I’m impressed.
  • 3 weeks later...
jddarkside
Further update. Had the tires swapped on Friday and was blown away with Kyle’s service at Spec R. Had an 8:30 appointment but arrived early, just after 7:30. He jumped on it, I was out the door just after 8:30. They loaded my winters in the truck for me, and even provided nice Spec R tire bags. Price was exactly what was quoted. Highly recommend.
thats great to read :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T