Information for Boxster Owners

Brodie

• 1 year later...
CalgaryStig

I've been playing with the idea of getting the LN new IMS bearing at my next service. I would like to hear if any members here have had it installed and what the original bearing looked like when it was pulled.

It should be noted that this issue is not just for the Boxster. All M96 engine models are under scrutiny. This would include Cayman and 911 (996 and 997). I think all turbo models are not included.

The official PCA tech section of their website strongly encourage the replacement of the original M96 IMS bearing. No one knows the exact percentage of failure of these bearings. On the PCA Boxster Register it is estimated that it is around 2 or 3%.

What is really interesting is the fact that it appears that the LN engineering bearing is failing as well. LN is now recommending that the IMS bearing (original and their own product) be replaced at regular intervals.

I'm of the opinion that failures have occurred in boxsters, caymans, and 911s but thanks to the internet the incidence of failure may be overblown.

Shayne.

Edited by CalgaryStig
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest WayneD
Shayne, I plan on replacing my IMS bearing on my 05 Boxster. I will be doing the work myself and would like to chat with you. Any members out there who have bought the LN Eng kit? I see Pelican Parts now offers there own IMS retro-fit kit. Give me a call at 403-852-0351