Happy sounds in our garage today!!!

Rick

Hi everyone

Just couldn't resist posting a note to announce that after rolling the 3.2 into the garage last fall (after Escape) with a serious oil leak, I fired her back up this afternoon.

As suspected the source of the oil leak was the three seals in the engine mounted oil cooler. When I took the oil cooler off, the original seals were hard, brittle and had actually shrunk measurably.

Once the new seals were installed and the the car reassembled, it started in the second rotation of the engine.

I ran the car for 20 minutes with no evidence of the leak. The real test will come when I get the car out on the road for a good hard run.

911 new Fuchs front.jpg

Here's hoping your weekend was as rewarding.

Look forward to seeing you on the road this coming season.

sincerely;

Rick

great Rick,the season is approaching.

I have to report, my fuel pump is working and I actually warmed up my tires on the road to Chain Lakes.It sure felt good to behind

the steering wheel and the sound from my engine coming from behind.

Last years trip on top of the tow truck was not the way, I wanted to end the season.

Fritz

Well well

If I have to be "one up'd" it could only be by you getting out for a drive. Good for you.

Perhaps my shake down run can be a drive to Turner Valley and we can perform a little welding on my car??

Take care for now!

RB

Rick:

Good to read you sorted out the oil leak! Looking forward to a getting out soon for a drive myself. It won't be tomorrow - saw the weather forecast for this evening /morning and we're expecting 10 to 20 cm of snow! Damn it's a long winter!

See you on the road soon.

Kevin

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

Isn't that sound great !!

I was hoping for that yesterday as well although I kinda fell flat as all I heard was a rrrr rrrrrr, click. Yup the battery was dead. The intent was to sneak it down Deerfoot, I even drove the route to make sure there wasn't a lot of water or rocks. All looked good until I tried to start it.

Well the battery is now charged and back in the car, with the turn of the key the car started right up but the white stuff held me from hitting the streets.

Spring is around the corner and my feet are certainly twitching!!

Hey John

You can look at it this way, ... you have one less thing to deal with once the real sports car driving season begins.

Planning to get Dan's 3.2 on the lift to replace a leaky oil line. It will be much easier to access than the gremlin I was chasing. I've got a few bits enroute from Peican Parts to freshen the car for this season. Will have those on in short order once they arrive.

Talk with you later.

Rick

Hey Rick

What do you charge for the use of your lift.........case of beer hehe.

Have a pair of front splitters that I would love to put on the car, then I can put on the 3.8 RS wing back on.

Hi Frank

No charge to put your car on the lift. There is a fee to get it off however! ;)

If you want to come by during an evening or on a weedend, just call me ahead of time so we can align our schedules.

Always happy to see (and work) on other 911's.

cheers!

Rick

Hi all Yvette and I couldnt wait. test drove a boxster in vegas last thursday 24degees and top down. It was a blast. Hopefully most of the snow will be gone when we get back. sunny greetings Mark.
  • 2 weeks later...

Good for you Brodie! I'll have the RS60 out sometime this weekend! It's been a long winter and am certainly looking forward getting out.

All the best.

Kevin

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

I had 6" snow deposited on the 4 feet of the old stuff.

Weird Fritz, no snow in the NW. Hopefully this weekend the warm weather with come your way.

Good for you Brodie! I'll have the RS60 out sometime this weekend! It's been a long winter and am certainly looking forward getting out.

Kevin, if the weather is good we should do the drive.

When we started the car for the first time this year the engine started making a clicking / knocking noise, I turned it off and phoned Porsche service. They said that it's normal for a car that has sat that long, was caused by the lifters not getting enough oil and that it would go away after bit of a drive.

The knock did go away after it warmed up and we took it for a slow drive around the block. Has anyone else had a this happen to their newer car?

Caymanwalter

When we started the car for the first time this year the engine started making a clicking / knocking noise, I turned it off and phoned Porsche service. They said that it's normal for a car that has sat that long, was caused by the lifters not getting enough oil and that it would go away after bit of a drive.

The knock did go away after it warmed up and we took it for a slow drive around the block. Has anyone else had a this happen to their newer car?

Yes both my 2010 cayman and the dads 2010 gt3 do it. I am surprised Brodie that is the first time you have heard that, both of our cars do it from time to time the gt3 more so than the cayman. I was told by John the senior tech at norden that this is normal, but definently a bit disconcerting the first time we all heard it. I always like the blue smoke too on start up after sitting a few day :D

Walter did your car do that during last years driving season?

Last year every start up had no knocking sound at all, it only happened after the long term storage.

I read on another forum that the oil drained back from the lifters and sometimes an air pocket can develop increasing the time it takes to get oil back up there. Not a mechanic, but it sounded good to me.

When I heard it, the first thought was this could be an excuse to buy a 911 turbo?

Caymanwalter
Walter did your car do that during last years driving season?

Last year every start up had no knocking sound at all, it only happened after the long term storage.

I read on another forum that the oil drained back from the lifters and sometimes an air pocket can develop increasing the time it takes to get oil back up there. Not a mechanic, but it sounded good to me.

When I heard it, the first thought was this could be an excuse to buy a 911 turbo?

Brodie, my car did it from time to time last year especially if the car sat for a couple of weeks. You should pop by one day and we will start it and the GT3 and you can hear them, it is crazy.

I like your idea of using that as an excuse to get a new turbo, well played, how about delete these posts and that way you can convince D you need a new 911 turbo :D

Edited by Caymanwalter
Brodie, my car did it from time to time last year especially if the car sat for a couple of weeks. You should pop by one day and we will start it and the GT3 and you can hear them, it is crazy.

I like your idea of using that as an excuse to get a new turbo, well played, how about delete these posts and that way you can convince D you need a new 911 turbo :D

Unfortunately Danielle heard the car knock and then heard it after some slow drives around the block. Last year we drove the Cayman almost everyday so I guess the oil never had a chance to drain down.

We'll have to hear your cars knock sometime.

No Brodie, you get a 911 Turbo and gifted to madam "D" or you give here the old used beat up Cayman.

Fritz, I think we know how that would turn out.