WRR-DIY CLUB: My 1980 911SC Targa - spring project

Alex

Fritz, I'll be the first to volunteer for the newly formed club!

My spring project on my SC is about to get underway. I am planning on performing the following:

(1) Carrera cam chain tensioner upgrade

(2) Idler pulley arm upgrade

(3) Valve clearance adjustment

(4) Turbo valve cover gasket upgrade

(5) Paint valve covers

(6) General engine compartment cleaning......it needs it!

The SC is currently jacked up (sorry, I don't have a lift.....maybe for my birthday!) and all the parts are in. The engine compartment has been stripped and both the valve and cam covers have been removed so everything is viewable. The Rajay turbo assembly has also been removed and is viewable. I plan on starting the process tomorrow at around 10am and will probably work through the weekend.

SORRY ABOUT THE SHORT NOTICE!........ but if there are any of our members that would like to see the car before I start, you are welcome to come over either tonight at 9pm sharp or tomorrow at 9:30am. As it turns out my wife is in Vegas all week (it's a work conference thing) so she wont know!!!

A word of caution however!!!......though I am generally well organized, the garage is pretty messy! If you want to see the cam chain tensioner assembly, you'll have to crawl under and you may get dirty so wear old clothes! There's my disclaimer!

I live in Artist View Pointe in Springbank. Email me at: agwilson_iphone@yahoo.com (there is an "underscore" between the agwilson and the iphone which may not be visible) if you would like to come over. Again I apologize about the short notice!

Sincerely,

Alex Wilson

H: 403-246-0923

C: 403-830-4492

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

Hi Alex

Looks like you have a busy (& fun) weekend ahead of you.

I will respectfully suggest that you do not paint your valve covers .... here's why.

Air cooled engines (of the famous flat six design) rely on just two primary methods of cooling.

#1.) Ambient air that is blown over the cylinders by the fan and whatever heat transfer via convection that creates.

#2.) The oil circulating through the engine carries heat away which is then disipated via two heat exchangers. (one located on the right side of the engine and the second up in the front end of the car.)

If you paint your valve covers, they will not transfer (convect) as much heat as if left in their natural (more porous = greater surface area) state. Given the cylinder heads are the hottest area of the engine when it is running, they are also most susceptable to damage from increases in temperature.

So, for maximum performance and most efficient cooling, it is best to leave all engine components in their natural unfinished state.

I know you didn't ask, however I felt compelled to share this with you anyway.

sincerely;

Rick

Edited by Rick

Rick, thanks for your research! Once again, I appreciate your most valuable input. On hindsight (being an Optometrist, I don't generally like that word) it does make sense. Most engine-type paints are genuine coatings, which would greatly reduce the cooling efficiency of the aluminum valve covers......I will, therefore, delete project #5.

Thanks again!

Alex

Alex

Alex,

Now that project #5 has been eliminated what will you do with all that spare time :)

I would like to apologize for making your last thread go off topic. hopefully in a good way.

Will possibly pop by on Sat. Have to check out some seats at 8am, change washer pump, possibly install seats, change fuel pump, replace front targa seals, so should be there by 10am!

Paul

‘12 Targa 4S - Amythist metallic

'81 SC Targa - sold but not forgotten

Also, with the wife being away you can now use the dishwasher for those hard to clean parts (fan, fan shroud, etc) without getting an ear full!!

Paul, funny you should mention that.....I did use the dishwasher 2 days ago to clean the valve covers......did an excellent job!!!

Sure, come on by on Saturday, I'm sure that there'll be lots to do today and for the rest of the weekend(?!?), week(?!?), month(!?!). I had to postpone starting this am as, sure enough, I had to go back to Princess Auto for other supplies. BTW Brodie and Danielle came by this am for a peak....

Fire me an email and I'll give you the address......Oh, and my wife is actually back tonight........the dishwasher thing is between you and me!

Alex

Alex

Alex,

Hope all is going well with your weekend projects. Picked up some new to me seats today making my project list longer. With the lovely snow we have I don't think I'll make it out. Hopefully I'll meet you on Wednesday.

Paul

As &%$#@! as it is outside I guess I'll just keep myself busy in the garage.....it's a totally beautiful day for that!

Paul, I wouldn't mind hearing more about your seat upgrade project as my interior does need some work as well......yet another project down the road! We'll see you later on Wednesday evening.

Alex

Alex

Alex,

Seats are from an '89 turbo (comfort seats), same as the seats in the C2. Gasper also has a pair of black seats from a 993 in good condition if you are interested. Will be conditioning them here soon, pull out the existing seats, see what surprises come up "while I'm there", and add a few more projects to my ever expanding list! May be pull out the rear seats, change the carpet...............

Paul

Well, some good news!....fired her up today and everything seemed to work quite well!....major difference was noticed right away on how quieter the engine sounds.....no more clang/clang/clang of the old tensioners...so, with that improvement in engine noise, I guess the job had to be done. The next step is to run the engine here and there while I've got the car raised and check for leaks over the next week or so (let's all pray that they have been banished!). I will post some photos soon for those interested in this project.....and will see you on Wednesday possibly!

Alex

Fritz, I was wondering if could come down to see you in TV sometime in early May (will be in Hawaii April 17-29 so I will miss your BBQ unfortunately) as I couldn't remove the transmission drain plug to drain the fluid.....man, it's on there tight! Perhaps having a warm engine and having the car on your lift will make it easier.

Alex

Great news Alex,

Sorry I missed the progress in action. Now that it's running quieter may I suggest a Fabspeed exhaust bypass. Just to give those Harley riders an ear full!!

Paul

Paul, I thought about that but with the turbo assembly that I have, I don't think that one can be installed on this SC.

Alex

Alex

Brodie, it was a "fingers and toes crossed" moment when I did finally crank her over. Much to my gratification, it turned out to be quite sweet! As I mentioned before, .....much quieter! However, the project, as you and Danielle witnessed, is ongoing!

Alex

Alex

Fritz, I was wondering if could come down to see you in TV sometime in early May (will be in Hawaii April 17-29 so I will miss your BBQ unfortunately) as I couldn't remove the transmission drain plug to drain the fluid.....man, it's on there tight! Perhaps having a warm engine and having the car on your lift will make it easier.

Alex, just call me or send me an e-mail and we will work some thing out. I got all the tools and we can change the oil.

Fritz

Well, except for the engine compartment cleaning, the project is near complete......so far no leaks to report!

Here are some photos of what I did, in the event that anybody else is contemplating on doing the same project to their 1969-83 911, which apparently is a must, as the old tensioners eventually do give way. I believe mine were on the verge of "going" at 125,000 KM, as I found quite a bit of wear to the Turbo collars....the part that contacts the idler pulley support arms, and the fact that I couldn't physically compress the tensioner like I could with the new ones. Anyway here goes: (most of the photos of the cam chain housings are upside down - btw)

Old left side tensioner before removal

IMG_0886.jpg

Old right side tensioner

IMG_0887.jpg

Left side chain secured before tensioner removal - I used a block of wood and the tensioner securing tool (P204) to keep the chain tight....this is a must! Now, just in case the chain slipped, I marked the chain and sprocket with my wife's nail polish in 2 spots. This was suggested by a gentleman on the Pelican parts blog......good tip!

IMG_0908.jpg

These are the new tensioners before installation. I "primed" these as recommended in the "how to modify Porsche 911 engines" book by Wayne Dempsey - Pelican Parts

IMG_0910.jpg

This is the old left side tensioner....you can see quite a bit of wear to the aluminum Turbo collars on top!.....yikes!

IMG_0913.jpg

The new left side tensioner installed....piece of cake!

IMG_0914.jpg

Right side cam chain had to be secured with a combination of the wood block, as well as plastic tie downs as I couldn't use the chain securing tool on this side. I also used the nail polish to mark the chain and sprocket, like I did on the left side.

IMG_0923.jpg

Left side tensioner installed

IMG_0925.jpg

Once both tensioners were installed, I removed all objects from the housings and then manually rotated the crankshaft with a wrench, just to observe that all was in place, secure, and functioning properly. I then proceeded to adjust the valves, which was pretty simple. And then on to re-assembly!

Done!

Right side - upside down...sorry

IMG_0928.jpg

Left side showing Turbo

IMG_0929.jpg

Back together

IMG_0927.jpg

What's left? Oh yeah:

(1) Bleed brakes

(2) Paint chip repair - lots!

(3) Repair clear coat on hood

(4) New tires

(5+) There'll be other things!

Alex

Alex

Yeah, you basically submerge the tensioner in a bucket of oil, pull the retaining pin that holds the tensioner in it's compressed state, pump it with your fingers until all air escapes out of the small relief valve....at this point no more air bubbles will be visible. After that you compress the tensioner with a vise and then re-insert the retaining pin to prepare it for installation.

I found out through some research that in certain installs, even though "everything was done right", a large air pocket may have developed in the chamber during construction/assembly of the tensioner at the factory. This would result in a delay in the priming of the tensioner on start up. As a result the cam chain would momentarily go slack and slip off the cam sprocket and then....Bam!!!.....well, you can just imagine the rest......yes, top end engine rebuild time.........$5000.00+?...... I am guessing?!!

Being as this was the first time ever for me, you can bet that I was going to play it safe and heed all advice from the experts! I gotta say that manually turning over the crankshaft for a number of revolutions after the tensioner installation was done and before installing the covers was my idea.....I just thought that actually seeing that everything "lines up" in slow-mo would be added security before firing up the engine. Additionally, Jason from Pelican suggested pulling out the fuel pump relay and disconnecting the spark plugs and then simply turning the engine over with the starter for about 30 seconds....again, to get those tensioners fully primed with oil.

Alex

Alex

Alex, I like the use of your special tools. Carpenter pencil and Zap Straps 1"x2" fire wood.

Wonder what Porsche would say of the use of non authorized

special tools.

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Fritz/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.pngfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Fritz/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.pngFritz

Good one Fritz!...............just call me the Redneck Porsche mechanic!

"You might be a Redneck if.............

You own a home that is mobile and 5 cars that aren't!"

Alex

Alex

Hello Alex

"Congrats" on what sounds like a job well done.

No doubt your engine will be quieter with the new chain tensioners. You should also feel a little more power across the rev range if your valves were in need of an adjustment.

It certainly is gratifying when you complete a job and the results are obvious. :cool:

Look forward to seeing your Targa up close at an upcoming drive.

cheers!

Rick