Top 15 Driving Routes in USA

KevinJ

This list is generated by motorcyclists, whom I believe are pretty good at finding good roads to travel on. Given we have a drive upcoming to Yellowstone and the Beartooth Highway I thought I would share this.

Kevin

American Motorcyclist Members Choose the Beartooth Highway!

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The results are in, and communities nationwide are the winners. Members of the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) voted on their favorite roads in America, and the top 15 selections represent scenic highways and byways throughout the country.

"When it comes to the best places in the country to ride motorcycles, no group of riders is more knowledgeable than AMA members," said AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman. "No group puts in more miles, samples more asphalt or rides more roads.

"By publicizing our favorite roads in American Motorcyclist magazine, AMA members will seek out these destinations and bring tourism dollars into local communities through the purchase of food, fuel, lodging and more," Dingman said.

The editors of American Motorcyclist magazine used the 230,000-member, non-profit association's website, AmericanMotorcyclist.com, to accept nominations and tally votes for members' favorite roads. Nearly 100 roads made the ballot, and the magazine published the top 15 roads in the April issue as well as a list of "honorable mentions."

"Some of these roads are familiar to motorcyclists, and others may not be," said Managing Editor James Holter. "They all have one thing in common: They're the best roads in the country, as chosen by AMA members."

A countdown of the top 15 routes:

15. Washington Route 129 and Oregon Route 3, Clarkston, Wash., to Enterprise, Ore.

14. Ohio Route 170, Calcutta to Poland.

13. California Route 58, McKittrick to Santa Margarita.

12. U.S. Route 33, Harrisonburg, Va., to Seneca Rocks, W.Va.

11. Natchez Trace, from Natchez, Miss., to Nashville, Tenn.

10. Angeles Crest Highway, California Route 2.

9. U.S. Route 12, Lolo Pass, Idaho and Montana.

8. California Route 36.

7. Cherohala Skyway, North Carolina and Tennessee.

6. Going to the Sun Road, Glacier National Park, Montana.

5. California Route 1, Pacific Coast Highway.

4. U.S. Route 550, from Ouray to Durango, Colo.

3. U.S. Route 129 -- The Tail of the Dragon -- on the North Carolina-Tennessee border.

2. Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina.

1. Beartooth Highway, Montana and Wyoming. (http://www.beartoothhighway.com)

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

Our 2 wheel brethren are an excellent source for finding great driving roads. There is a series of books written by bikers (Destination Highways) that rate various roads in BC, WA, and No.CA. As well, iPhone App Greatest Drives with routes that are user contributed, and rate the drive, road surface etc.

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

Perci:

I know the Destination Highways material - I have the book and maps for BC and Washington State!

Will check out the iphone App. Thanks for info on that one.

Kevin

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5