Just installed new rear swing arm bushings & Bilstein shocks.

Rick

Good afternoon

I always wrestle with whether to drive the car/s on a nice day :cool: or work on them. Last weekend I elected to work on my 1987 (3.2 Coupe) and tackle the job of installing new swing arm bushings & shocks.

I knew it was time to replace the bushings as you could clearly see that the torque tubes were starting to rub on the upper half of the bushing retainers. Not a good situation.

After Derek @ South Center Fine Cars advised that he (the parts department) were unable to source replacement bushings from the factory, (only entire assemblies at $700.00+ each :eek:) I was able to purchase a bushing replacement kit from Stoddard Porsche in the US. [ref: part number # SIC-333-110-00 / cost = $57.00 & change ... plus shipping.]

http://www.stoddard.com

The actual job streched over two weekends, given my limited amount of spare time these days :(, and involved disconnecting virtually everything (shocks, CV joints, sway bar) connected to the swing arm assemblies. Once the torsion bars were completely unloaded (i.e.: fully relaxed) I simply marked their orientation relative to a fixed reference in the wheel-well and removed the outer end of each torque tube.

I also marked the orientation of the torque tube arm relative to the swing arm using a white pencil. This allowed me to preserve the rear wheel alignment when reasembling the components later on. Thanks for the tips Fritz!

IMG_2161.jpg

Once the old bushings were removed (by cutting them off with an exacto knife and grinding away the remaining bits that were glued to the tube at the factory), I was able to slip the new bushings into place and reinstall everything without any problems.

IMG_2162.jpg

The results exceeded my expectations and it now feels & handles like a much newer car.

If you drive an early 911 (up to 1989) and haven't inspected your suspension lately, you should check your rear swing arm bushings. If they appear to be wearing (i.e.: close to rubbing the top of the bushing retainer, you should consider replacing them.

If you happen to be a "D.I.Y" type as well, you won't regret the investment in time this project requires.

sincerely;

Rick Barnes, V.P. WRR ;)

Edited by Rick

Hi Kevin

Cars & Coffee sounds like a great idea. The forecast is calling for a nice evening tomorrow, so I will make time.

Look forward to seeing you (and possible other WRR members) there.

cheers!

Rick

Rick:

Good for you! Wish I had your skills with the tools! Can you get out to Cars and Coffee tomorrow - Tuesday?

Kevin

Oh what fun. I spent Friday in the garage raising the 912 (the extra weight of the 911 engine and oil tank caught up with me and the suspension sagged just enough for the tire to rub on the fender and burn the paint). Happy to find out that my spring plates have been updated to Carrera ones. Of course, since I was raising the car, alignment is going to be screwed (anyone got a good place in Calgary to get a lowered 911 aligned?).

I had to resist the "whileyou'reinthereitis" and leave well enough alone, but I know I am due for some suspension R&R. I have been looking at the Elephant Racing catalogue and they have an option for the stock style rubber bushings that have been previously not obtainable.

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/rubberbushings/911rubberbushings.htm

They also make a tool to make the removal of those stubborn bushings much easier. Here's their "how-to" video

It's an $85 tool, so likely something a guy could pick up and rent out to friends for $20/12 pack of Stella and never wear it out.

Of course, my spring plates were firmly stuck to the bushings, and I was not in there to mess around and get them off for the hell of it - of course, I could only raise then by the inner splines, but it seems to have worked (a touch higher than I wanted, but I'm OK with that).

Hello Keith

Look forward to seeing your 912 again soon.

Regarding your question of reliable shop/s for 911/912 wheel alignment, I will recommend "Integra Tire" on Macleod Tr. just North of Chinook Centre on the East side.

They performed an alignment on my 911 last year and did a very good job. [not certain if they will undertake lowering your car, but you can certainly ask.]

They are listed in the Calgary phone book.

cheers!

Rick

Oh what fun. I spent Friday in the garage raising the 912 (the extra weight of the 911 engine and oil tank caught up with me and the suspension sagged just enough for the tire to rub on the fender and burn the paint). Happy to find out that my spring plates have been updated to Carrera ones. Of course, since I was raising the car, alignment is going to be screwed (anyone got a good place in Calgary to get a lowered 911 aligned?).

I had to resist the "whileyou'reinthereitis" and leave well enough alone, but I know I am due for some suspension R&R. I have been looking at the Elephant Racing catalogue and they have an option for the stock style rubber bushings that have been previously not obtainable.

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/rubberbushings/911rubberbushings.htm

They also make a tool to make the removal of those stubborn bushings much easier. Here's their "how-to" video

It's an $85 tool, so likely something a guy could pick up and rent out to friends for $20/12 pack of Stella and never wear it out.

Of course, my spring plates were firmly stuck to the bushings, and I was not in there to mess around and get them off for the hell of it - of course, I could only raise then by the inner splines, but it seems to have worked (a touch higher than I wanted, but I'm OK with that).

Thanks for the name Rick. My car is plenty low enough already :D I just need somewhere with a drive-on ramp that will handle lowered cars, and someone who understands all the myriad of adjustment bolts on the 911 suspension. Do you recall offhand how much the alignment cost?

When I took delivery of my 88 Coupe this spring, the squeaky front end hinted at worn suspension bushings. I ordered the OEM spec A-Arm bushings from:

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/rubberbushings/911rubberbushings.htm and (since an alignment would be required) had then installed by a local shop. They had not seen the product before, but did vouch for the quality and ease of installation. The result? Suspension bliss!

Marc and Leslie Schroeder

88 Carrera Coupe