Boxter S - Manual or Auto???

Rob996

I am gathering some info for a future purchase and wanted some input on the Boxter S I should get. How old is too old? Manual or Auto? Any input is great.

Rob Campbell

2001 996, Cabriolet - Rainforest Green Metallic

1986 928S, India Red - SOLD

I'm no expert but I did look for just under 2 years before buying my 2005 Boxster S. Here's what I found out:

1. The 987s are supposed to be more reliable and 2006 and newer have new or improved mechanics in regards to the IMS failure. That been said many have stated that the 986 models are just as reliable.

2. Horsepower was increased from the 986 to 987 and then again from the 987 to the second gen 987.

3. Every one will say buy as new as you can afford. Everyone will say buy a car with all manuals and documentation.

4. 2003 and newer have a glass rear window as opposed to plastic.

5. 987 interior is roomier (subjective) and have a glove box.

6. I think, but not sure, 2004 on have the ability to deactivate the passenger airbag.

7. Whatever model you get, the fall is the best time to buy.

8. I heard no issues about the reliability of the tiptronic cars. Some stated that there was a lost of power but I think this was small.

Weissach in Vancouver always has some Boxsters in stock at decent prices. I haven't seen any 986 models there however.

My Boxster is awesome and a blast to drive. It reminds me of my first car, an MGB. Except my Porsche starts and goes in a straight line, the electrics also work, and the top doesn't leak, and it's fast, and......

Shayne.

Edited by CalgaryStig

Hi Rob. I've had my Boxster S for 11 years now, and it's still going strong. All my answers to your questions will be biased, but here are a couple:

• You're never too old! :D
  • I never met an automatic I liked. The Tiptronic wants to get into the highest gear it can as fast as it can. Okay for economy, not so much for fun. I haven't driven a PDK, so it might be better. Go with the 6 speed.
  • Mine has the plastic window and hasn't been an issue (yet) from fogging(I clean it with Porsche plastic window cleaner) or breaking. I park it out of the sun, too.
  • The early cars have an interior better matched to the design (IMHO), the later cars look too Cayenne-ish for my taste, YMMV.
  • I've been told the IMS issue is more prevalent with 'garage queens', but having said that, mine will fail tomorrow
  • look for the sport suspension (M030) option, which sharpens the suspension feel, without too much loss in ride

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

Rob I have a 2009 Boxster S with PDK & I love it. The computer shifts are precise & instantaneous & the 3 driving (shifting) maps are incredibly responsive to your particular driving situation at any given moment. The shift points vary from @ 2000 rpm in the 1st map to @ 4000 rpm in the 2nd & 7200 rpm in the 3rd map. The computer will put you in the map you need basically based on your input to the electronic accelerator pedal. When I first got the car I shifted with the paddle shifters but I gave it up because I can't come close to the precision of the computer shifts. My next car will be a Boxster S with Sports Chrono Package Plus, Launch Control, variable suspension (PASM) & PCM with navigation module.