Winterizing

Frank Kelly

Hi Frank,

South Centre Porsche gave me the following information on a handy little sheet. I followed their recommendations last year and had no issues.

Winter Storage

South Centre Porsche

1) Clean car thoroughly inside and out.

2) If carpets were shampooed, the interior must be dried.

3) Lubricate all door and cab top seals.

4) Leather and/or vinyl treatment to interior components.

5) Drive car to clean and drive brakes after washing.

6) Fill fuel tank.

7) Inflate tires to 50 PSI

8) Block wheels and do not apply hand brake.

9) It is not recommend to lift the vehicle.

10) Ensure engine coolant and windshield washer fluid are good to at least -36 C

11) Change oil and filter

12) Clean debris from in front of radiators

13) Install Porsche battery maintainer on a fully charged battery. Not if maintainer is not used the battery will need to be replaced come spring.

14) Air conditioning if good working condition and full charged.

15) Convertible top should be closed

16) If parked on on bare concrete isolate by parking on rubber mats.

17) Install cat cover if desired.

18) Lock vehicle with remote.

I purchased 2 rubber mats door mats from Canadian tire, cut them in half and parked on them to isolate the tires.

They cost 10 or 12 bucks for both.

Brodie

Hi Brodie

Why # 16?

Rubber on concrete or rubbber on rubber on concrete?

Barry

I'm not 100 percent sure why they recommend to isolate the tires from bare concrete. It's not the first time I've heard that either.

If anyone one knows the answer hopefully they'll chime in.

Interesting to note that they do not recommend any type of fuel additive - like Stabil which so many others state as needed.

I was told to only use a fuel stabilizer if the car is being stored for a really long period like a year or two.

Last year we put Stabil in, this year I'm going to leave it out.

Brodie

From what I have heard the rubber on rubber is preferable to concrete due to moisture. Apparently the moisture within the concrete can lead to "tire spotting". Don't know how true this is but the snow brought in my garage in the winter melts and pools under the cars so there is moisture there.

Stabil only lasts for one year in a fuel tank. After that it breaks down. I would be more concerned if your fuel has ethanol in it as this is more prone to condensation. I used it previously on my MG. However I cannot compare it to not using stabil.

The battery charger recommended to my by the wise members of this site is the ctek 3300. It's available at Canadian Tire and Princess Auto. You can get the optional cigarette lighter for $13 off of ebay.

Shayne.

Ok. I don't think I have ever seen what tire spotting looks like. I guess it could depend on your individual situation/location if the tires are constantly resting in water.

The ethanol free gas in my car is 2 years old with no stabil added. The car still starts instantly. I have been running the car over the summer and have almost emptied the tank. I will be filling up again before I park it.

I have one of the ctek 3300s and it does an excellent job on my 6-7? year old optima battery.

Barry