Short shift upgrade...which kit do you recommend?

Alex

Hi everybody!....another tech question for our members. I am considering upgrading my '80 SC with a short shifter. I understand that there are 4 kits available (through PelicanParts).....the Porsche Factory kit, the Weltmeister kit, the Wevo series kits, and the Jwest Rennshift series kits.....which one would you recommend?......do please inform me!

Thanks!

Alex

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

Guest RJ911SC

Alex, I am installing the Weltmeister Kit on my 79SC, after i replace all the shift bushings, will be installing this winter along with all my other upgrades. Didnt see much difference between the factory or the Weltmeister, as for the other 2, your paying for the name.

got mine for 60 bucks on line new in the package.

Hi guys

Regardless of which short shift "kit" you ultimately choose, you should be aware that all vintage (a.k.a. air cooled engine) Porsche transmissions (901, 915, G50 & G60) do not like to be operated too fast.

The shorter throw of a "kitted" shifter will have you using more effort (albeit manageable) than the standard shifter. That extra effort can lead to a tendancy to rush each shift which ... over time ... can lead to premature syncro ring and shifter fork wear.

This potential for accelerated wear is easily mitigated by timing your shifts. If your car shifts smoothly with a 1 to 2 second transition between gears with your stock shifter, then be sure to take the same amount of time shifting with the kit installed.

If you ride with anyone who produces consistantly fast lap times during track events you will see that they don't shift, steer and brake quickly, they perform all inputs to the car smoothly.

cheers!

Rick Barnes

Edited by Rick

Rob:

Thanks for the tip!...I have actually located an un-used factory kit at a really decent price from a fellow PelicanParts member.....I will probably buy that one. Let me know how your install goes.

Rick:

Once again thank you for your input as well.....your extensive knowledge of Porsche mechanics is, as always, impressive and also very much appreciated! What you say makes a lot of sense. Incidently, you mentioned shifting, steering, and braking "smoothly".....can you "heel and toe" yourself?....it would be great to have a demonstration from one of our members!

Continuing on the topic of short shifters.....has any of our members installed the Seine Gate Shift Kit?

Cheers!

Alex

Alex

Alex,

As mentioned the last time we met I installed the Rennshift short shifter from JWest. Install was easy as no parts currently on your car need to be reused. An advantage I found with the Rennshift was the ability to adjust the spring tensions on both the One-two and Five-Reverse side of the shifter allowing you to customize how much or how little the springs "push" during gear changes (hope that made sense).

As for actual shifting, like Rick said, there is no noticeable improvement in shift time as the 915 very much has its own sense of urgency! however, I do like the fact that it no longer feels like I'm shifting an old John Deere with huge throws between gears. Also found the side to side (1-3-5) spacing reduced nicely.

Paul

‘12 Targa 4S - Amythist metallic

'81 SC Targa - sold but not forgotten

Thanks Paul!

My old John Deere is totally automatic.....one pedal for forward & one for reverse...couldn't be any easier! ....it sure beats the 915!

Cheers!

Alex

Alex