Porsche & Winnebago Camping at Starland Campground August 14-15

Danielle

:D Let's go camping! :D

A large group area has been reserved for Saturday, August 14th. The campground offers paved roads, free firewood, firepits, washrooms, picnic tables, camp kitchen, ball diamonds, hiking trails, playground and even a beach along the river!

It is located in the Red Deer valley approximately 40km north of Drumheller. The cost is $15.00 per car/unit payable at the registration booth on arrival.

For more information on the campground, click here: Starland Campground

We will depart Chapters Crowfoot Starbucks at 10am on Saturday, August 14th.

There will be a stop in Drumheller for lunch.

Be sure to bring bring hot dogs etc. for dinner and bagels etc. for breakfast, beverages and of course your Porsche-friendly camping gear!

*** I've received some recent feedback that some would like to bring a Winnebago instead of a Porsche, so if you want to bring your camper/trailer/truck instead of your Porsche, please do !! Brodie and I might change the plan and bring the truck instead of the car, then we can fit more food in there... time will tell on that, give me your feedback people, who's coming and what are you bringing? ***

Edited by Danielle
If there is not enough room for your gear in the car, we might bring a support vehicle to carry everybody's extra things (I'll drive our truck out there if needed). If someone is going to bring a camper instead of their car, perhaps they may be kind enough to carry some extra stuff for us. Just post here on this thread if you are bringing a camper or if you need someone to take extra stuff for you and it will be arranged.
  • 2 weeks later...
8 days to go!!!! This will be my first camping trip of the year. Normally, Brodie and I camp all the time but since the car came along, camping has taken the back seat! I'm excited to get back to nature for a night!
*** I've received some recent feedback that some would like to bring a Winnebago instead of a Porsche, so if you want to bring your camper/trailer/truck instead of your Porsche, please do !! Brodie and I might change the plan and bring the truck instead of the car, then we can fit more food in there... time will tell on that, give me your feedback people, who's coming and what are you bringing? ***
I have inlaws from Scotland arriving this weekend so we are out for camping. We might stop by for a visit on Sunday as we plan to take them to Drumheller to see a dinosaur bone.
Looking like I will be up for this (with family). We may drive out and then head to Tyrell Museum for the aft (Kids pumped to see dinosaur skeletons etc) and meet at camp ground around dinner time. Trying to nail down details ...

Jim

17 black/black Audi R8 V10 Plus - still within the VW family! a few minor upgrades

12 black/black Cayenne Turbo - a few minor cosmetic enhancements

91 black/black/black 911 C4 Cab - keeping it pretty OEM and basic

I was thinking of bringing the truck with our bikes because there are some cycling trails there, so we'd drive out Saturday morning, set up the tent and then maybe go on a bike ride in the afternoon or just hang back and play frisbee or whatever, take it easy & relax with a beer.

As for Sunday, the weather is supposed to be really nice (Saturday is iffy) so I'd like to do a full camping breakfast that morning. There is no "check out time" at the campground so we can be as lazy and slow as we like getting out of there so Scott if you want to drop by in the AM we'll still be there chowing down on eggs and bacon.

** Weather update: As of today (Wednesday) it's supposed to be sunny and 23 degrees Saturday and sunny and 21 on Sunday! **

Edited by Danielle

Green Light!!!

This trip is-a-go! We are bringing the truck for sure so we can live comfortably and bring lots of food.

We'll be at Starbucks on Saturday at 10am (depart at 10:30am). The drive won't be anything special becuase we'll have our big bulky truck with us. We'll decide if we will stop for lunch in Drumheller that morning when we meet.

The weather forecast is looking really good too, we're lucky!!

The 1st annual camping trip is now complete. We totally lucked out with probably the best camping weather of the entire summer. The campground is incredibly scenic, nestled in the badlands valley - and being low in the valley there is little wind and it is HOT! If you want to get away from the cold Calgary wind, this is the place to be.

The night sky was crystal clear, the Milky Way was like a painting brilliantly shining above us on the moonless night. We saw at least a dozen shooting stars, some so bright they would leave neon green tracers in the sky!

Jim and his family camped with us and Kevin joined us in the morning for breakfast.

This will definitely be an annual event in the same campground. It will be a family function, I really enjoyed having the kids there and it's a great opportunity to meet the families of club members.

We climbed up the hill and this is the zoomed out picture of the campground:

IMG_1582.jpg

Zoomed in view:

IMG_1580.jpg

Looking downriver:

IMG_1576.jpg

Evening activities:

IMG_1586.jpg

Getting that fire ready:

IMG_1587.jpg

Breakfast with Kevin:

IMG_1589.jpg

An awesome weekend trip Danielle. Thanks for all your planning and hospitality at the campsite and to Brodie for his help figuring out the new tent. (hope the kids weren't too intrusive on your weekend : - )

P.S. We made it about half way up the hoodoos and you were right - not as steep as it looks!

Jim

17 black/black Audi R8 V10 Plus - still within the VW family! a few minor upgrades

12 black/black Cayenne Turbo - a few minor cosmetic enhancements

91 black/black/black 911 C4 Cab - keeping it pretty OEM and basic

Hi Danielle,

Looks like we missed a nice weekend.

Unfortunately when I went to retrieve the Winnebago from where we keep it, I discovered that a leak had developed around one of the antennas and soaked the carpet (from all the crazy rain we had last week) - so we didn't want to go far until I had it fixed & dried out.

We will be ready for next time.

John