Appraisals

Keith Adams

Keith Adams

My 912 is due for its 5 year re-appraisal for insurance. Any recommendations for an appraisal? I used Bill Knecht last time.

Since my 912 is mid-project and not currently running :rolleyes: I'd be happier to wait, but I'll have to call my insurance broker I guess.

Hi Keith

I use Jim Maslek from Vintage Sports Car Club 403-606-6433

allclassicauto@yahoo.ca

Tell him I gave you his nimber and see if he will extend the discount to the Porsche club.

Bring 3 print outs for what those cars sell on eval-bay or Craig.list ad he will consider those as guideline.

Keith Adams
Thanks Fritz - I guess I need to do some legwork on my end beforehand, as trying to value a 912 converted to a 911 will not be fun for anyone!

I got a better idea!

Go to www.pca.org, log in and go to the valuation program tab under member benefits. As PCA members, we get FREE appraisals through the PCA.

I did it last week and got mine in the mail today. The appraisals aren't great for heavily modified cars such as mine due to lack of data points however it 'gives a starting point for establishing the value of your unique car'. My evaluation is based on 32 cars over the past 10 months. The value is based on adds from Sunday news classifieds in the New York Times, Washington Post, Atlanta Journal, Chicago Tribune, LA Times, Denver Post, Houston Chronicle, Seattle Times; Hemmings Motor News; Panoprama; and NADA Blue Book - Central Edition.

You can select Insurance Appraisal, Accident Appraisal (or something like that), or general info for the reason for the appraisal. It's awesome. The last appraisal cost me $350. Membership really does make a difference!

http://www.pca.org/Membership/ValuationProgram.aspx

Cheers!

Edited by unclebilly

Your link should go to the link section of our web-site.

I will ask Brodie to put it there.

Scott, will a Canadian insurance company except US appraisal?

Scott, will a Canadian insurance company except US appraisal?

In the past, I had my vintage cars insured through the vintage program at Brokerlink/Intact. They had a printed list of approved appraisers. So if PCA is not on the list, it either isn't valid or you'd have to lobby, beg, convince, cajole your specific insurance company to have it added.

With the cost of three appraisals due the same year, I went with Haggarty this past fall (Palliser Insurance) that doesn't require appraisals - they instead insure based on agreed value (with rates set accordingly). It was a very easy process for me, with them accepting my initial proposals for value and putting it to ink. A different option to perhaps consider.

With the cost of three appraisals due the same year, I went with Haggarty this past fall (Palliser Insurance) that doesn't require appraisals - they instead insure based on agreed value (with rates set accordingly). It was a very easy process for me, with them accepting my initial proposals for value and putting it to ink. A different option to perhaps consider.

I went with these guys too and so far it has been a money saving experience. I think that I sent him a copy of the appraisal that I had done when I bought the car. I also sent photos of the engine compartment,exterior and interior.

Good people to work with.

Haggerty won't insure a car that sees track use (at least they wouldn't this spring) because they didn't have a track use exclusion.

Order a PCA appraisal for your car(s). I think anybody would have a difficult time arguing the completeness and how thorough they are. PCA has a panel that does Porsche appraisals, these guys ought to understand the Porsche market better than some local guy who hangs out a shingle and appraises everything from 1926 Model T's to 1959 Edsels to 1977 Pintos with Hoodscoops to 2006 Lamborghinis and everything in between. The last apprasals I had done on my cars cost alot of money, the guy had no idea what I had, nor do I have any idea how he arrived at the replacement values for my cars. The PCA appraisal at least spells out how the value was determined based on actual market conditions.

With respect to the appraisal being US based - how many of us bought our cars State Side or bought them from someone else that did? 30%? 50%? It at least gives you a starting point.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kieth

I have used "Appreciated Vehicle Appraisals" here in Calgary with good results and flexible scheduling. Scott Hobbs is the actual appraiser. He has done a considerable number of Porsches over the years.

He was recommended to me by Legends Insurance. Scott's number is: (403) 612-0844

email: shobbs13@shaw.ca

rgds;

Rick

Edited by Rick