Car stalled (first time).....now nothing!

Paul

Ok, need to pick the brains of all the WWR tech junkies....

was driving the car two days ago (evening). Car drove fine, strong acceleration, like normal. On arrival to the house the car had a "hic up" coming around the corner, but then continued to run. then driving up the driveway (slight incline) it died and will not restart.

Original diagnosis: fuel gauge was at 3/4 full but still i thought just maybe i have no gas. Filled the Jerry can with 18L of fuel and poured into car. Fuel gauge is now registering full (gauge is good?), didn't really think I ran out of gas (would be a first). Tried to start the car numerous time, nothing!

Next thought is fuel pump (replaced last season, thanks Fritz) but when trying to start seems to be fine. Can smell fuel while starter is turning over. checked all ignition connections, seems to be fine. Ignition wires were replaced last year.

And that people is the extent of my knowledge with regards to this problem.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

cheers, Paul

‘12 Targa 4S - Amythist metallic

'81 SC Targa - sold but not forgotten

Guest RJ911SC

Paul,

did you check your pop off valve? Might have poped off not pun intended, that is if your running with an air box?

Sounds like what happed to me a few years back, ended up needing replacement.

replaced it and started right up, and was fine after that.

Just a thought

Rob

I'm not sure if the SC has one, but I had an ignition relay in my 964 die in almost identical manner. I carried a spare after that.

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

Hi Paul

Internal combustion engines need three elements to run. Air, Fuel, and Fire (a.k.a. spark). Given that you have confirmed you are getting fuel to the cylinders, and there is no obvious obstruction in the intake manifold or runners, I would suspect your problem is related to your ignition system.

Quick test is to remove one of your spark plug wires and while holding it against the frame or the engine block (or any other well grounded metal in with the engine bay) with a well insulated pair of pliers .... have someone start the car. A spark should be easily visible between the metal portion of the plug connector and the engine block if the ignition system is healthy.

(you may need to place a used or spare spark plug into the plug wire if you can't roll the boot back far enough to expose the metal connector)

If there is no spark, then you are narrowing in on your problem. Potential causes for lost or weak spark:

#1.) faulty ignition coil/s.

#2.) failed ignition relay. (as Perci mentioned above)

#3.) corroded distributor rotor. (under the distributor cap)

#4.) weak or failing battery.

Try the above test and let us know what you find.

sincerely;

Rick Barnes

87 911 / 3.2

95 993 / 3.6

Edited by Rick

Check the bird site (Pelican Parts BBS) and search the technical section for "The Green Wire of Death"....

If it wasn't your pop off valve or anything obvious in the ignition system, look at the green wire attached to the distributor.

Cheers,