911 3.2 Front Strut replacement & turbo Tie Rod end upgrade.

Rick

Hello everyone

With the labor day long weekend nearly over and the fact its ocurrence marks the near complete passing of summer, I thought it was a good time to finish the refurbishing of the suspension on my 1987 3.2 Carrera.

After correcting an earlier false start (ordering the incorrect front struts), I began the process of removing the old components this morning. I estimated the job would require 10 - 12 hrs., however 25+ year old cars don't respect maintenance manuals estimates of required time to perform any maintenance work.

So by the end of today, I have managed to remove about 75% of the old parts. (see attached pics.)

tear down 1.jpg

Old spindle.jpg

Left wheel well.jpg

The next step/s will be to adjust the new tie rod ends to duplicate the length of the old units and in doing so, preserve enough of the last wheel alignment to allow me to drive the car to a tire shop for a full relignment of the new components.

Will post subsequent updates on the progress in the coming days.

Have a good week and drive safe!

Rick :cool:

87 911 Carrera Coupe

95 993 Carrera Cabriolet

Edited by Rick
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

As porimised earlier, I am posting an update on the progress made over this last two weeks w.r.t. upgrading the suspension on my 87 911 Carrera.

Great progress made this week through the combined support of Fritz's help on Tuesday evening ... Thanks Fritz ... and a full day spent today removing the last of the components on the front of the car.

If any of you are considering taking on this (or similar) project on an older 911, consider the following points.

#1.) whatever your estimated time to complete the project .... you will need to double it!

#2.) you will require more tools than you originally anticipate!

#3.) when it seems as though you will never loosen or free the rusted/stuck/seized component you have just spend 45 mins+. trying to loosen. Step back ... count to 10 ... an go find a BIGGER hammer!!

I have now removed the entire front suspension from the car (see embedded pics) and need only to free the ball joints from the "A" arms before reassembly can begin.

911 front clip removed1.jpg

911 front clip removed 2.jpg

Next steps ... reasemble front suspension c/w new Bilistein struts & 930 turbo tie rod ends.

Stay tuned !

Barnsey

Edited by Rick

Well here's the latest w.r.t. the project at hand.

I managed to complete the last of the disassembly of old parts (removal of the old ball joints) this week with some very prompt assistance from Marc @ Alpine Autowerks when I dropped by ... unannounced.

Removal of the ball joints requires a "special tool" (which Marc obviously has) and an impact driver. Marc removed the old ball joints and installed the new ones ... while I waited and had me on my way within an hour. THANKS Marc!!!

With the new ball joints installed I began the job of ressembling the front end today c/w all the new pieces intended to upgrade the suspension.

Will require one more day to complete the task, however still took a picture to illustrate the progress made thus far.

Bilstein 1.jpg

Should have the car on the road by next weekend and that should allow me to enjoy 1 or 2 fall season drives before my cassis chariot goes away for another winter.

Until then .. stay tuned & drive safely!

Edited by Rick

Well ... its' Finished

After what seems like far too much time, I can report that the front end suspension upgrade on my 1987 3.2 Carrera is complete.

All of the new parts took less than 3 hours to install ... vs the 3 weekend days (give or take) to remove the old rusted/seized components from the car.

I did encounter one last glitch before installing the new pieces. That was the discovery that the new rubber bellows that protect the "steering rack" from road dirt were also selected in error. Turbo tie rods use a different bellows than regular Carrera tie rods. (smaller diameter on the outboard ends.) So I ordered the correct ones from South Centre on Monday of this week.

Derek @ South Center's Parts Dept. went above & beyond in making the correct bellows available to me upon their arrival in the midst of moving the entire Parts & Services operations over to the main Porsche showroom. Thank You "very much" :) Derek. His dedication to customer service ensured I could complete the project this weekend.

The following pictures sequence the progress in reassembling the front end.

IMG_2500.jpg

From below (left side of the car) you can clearly see the "A Arm" c/w new ball joint, new Tie Rod & bellows as well as the lower portion of the new strut.

IMG_2499.jpg

From below (centre of the car) you can see both "A Arms", the fuel pump (light blue canister) both tie rod bellows, the anti sway bar and the horn!!

IMG_2502.jpg

From the lower front right hand side of the car wheels now installed ... ride height adjusted ... and the car leveled (via adjusted torque tubes) it is ready for a drive to South Centre's shop for a proper wheel alignment.

Once that is complete, you can rest assured I will be out for a drive to experience the improvement in ride & handling quality the Blistien suspension components provide.

Will comment on that c/w "lessons learned" in one last post created later in the coming week.

cheers!

Edited by Rick

Took the car out for a little run to level out the suspension and determine if the front end would require further adjustment to the ride height. Good news, the new struts provide a substantial improvement in the overall ride quality of the car. Secondly, the front end ride height is exactly where I intended it to be. Bad news, however the back end of the car is about 1" (inch) higher than ideal.

So in the interest of time (my personal time) I intend to have the rear ride height adjusted by South Center Fine cars at the same time they perform the wheel alignment.

Once that is done, I intend to take the car for a proper drive and that will tell the full story on just how much better the car handles with the new suspension set up.

Stay tuned!

Barnsey!! :cool:

87 911 Cassis Red Carrera

95 993 Guards Red Cabriolet

Hi Rick:

What a mechanic you've become owning Porsches! Drop by one day, who love to see what you've achieved.

Happy Thanksgiving and all the best.

Kevin

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

Good Sunday afternoon

Well the 3.2 is currently in the shop at South Centre Fine cars for its wheel alignment. I told them to keep it for the week and schedule it in during a slow period. Hoping that will ease the sting of paying professional mechanics "shops rates" when I'm used to doing most of the work on the car myself. Will have it back by Friday.

Final pictures and lessons learned to follow.

cheers!

Hi Keith

I am having a complete 4 wheel alignment performed on the car as I am altering the ride height from N. American spec. to European spec.

If I wasn't lowering the car, I suspect a front end alignment would be all that is required.

I didn't ask for a quote this time (unusual for me) as I wanted to see just what they will charge a PCA member for work on an older car.

f.y.i.: Derek (their Parts Mngr.) has been very fair in the pricing extended to me for the parts I have been purchasing for this (and other) work I have been performing.

Will gladly share what the cost of the alignment was once I get the bill. :eek:

cheers!

Edited by Rick
Hi Keith, I had my a four wheel alignment at reigel on my 930. They raised the back end slightly and lowered the front. It cost $767, I don't know if that is expensive or not. But regal quoted 6.5 hrs to do everything and i know they spent almost 10 hrs messing with things to get it right and still only charged the 6.5 hrs. So i would recommend them. Mark.

Good evening everyone ....

I picked up my car from South Centre this evening and must simply say ... WoW. What a difference in ride quality now that everything is properly aligned. They did a tremendous job.

The car feels very well planted and far more willing when executing turns. It used to resist or hesitate turning in prior to receiving its new components. I wasn't able to go for a proper highway drive due to the time of day and fading daylight. So, will look forward to do so before (or after) our forecasted snow fall this weekend.

From an appearance stand point, I am very pleased with how the car looks poised at its' new ride height. Will let you judge for yourselves if it's an improvement or not.

Euro height 1.jpg

Lessons learned from this project.

#1.) required time to completion is at least twice my worst case estimate.

#2.) count on breaking something you didn't anticipate before hand. (this effect increases exponentially the older your car is.)

#3.) you can never have too many tools. The phrase "the right tool makes any job possible" is an absolute/universal truth.

#4.) be fearless in your approach. You can always purchase another of what ever you just broke! :p

#5.) if your not certain how to do something ... ask someone in the club. (Thanks Fritz!)

#6.) lastly ... and most importantly ... have FUN!

Euro height 2.jpg

Looking forward to seeing you at an upcoming meeting or late season coffee run.

sincerely;

Barnesy ;)

87 Cassis Red 911 Coupe (with new suspension)

95 Guards Red 993 Cabriolet

Edited by Rick

Hi Keith (et al)

I forgot to mention the cost of the alignment at South Centre. Happy to report that the bill for adjusting front & rear ride height (up & down respectively) and performing the 4 wheel alignment was ... $707.00 incl. taxes.

This seems more than fair in my opinion given the time required to perform that work and referencing the price Mark shared for similar work performed at Riegel Tuning.

Had the car out on the highway today (Sunday) and can report that it has never ridden better :) while I have owned it.

cheers!

Rick Barnes

87 Cassis Red 911 Coupe

95 Guards Red 993 Cabriolet

Edited by Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the kind words,very much appreciated.

Love the look of the "stance" now,combined with the Porsche lettering on the side. Can't wait to see it on the road.

Hello everyone

Keeping my fingers crossed for one or two more nice weekend days so I can take the 3.2 out for one last end of season drive.

I was looking through some folders on my PC and came across a few pictures of the Cassis Carrera as it looked when I first bought it three years ago. I created a composite picture and attached it here, as I thought it serves as a good (before & after) comparison illustrating what can be accomplished when one applies a little TLC and commitment to a result.

Cassis Carrera before & after.jpg

There has been more mechanical work done (out of view) than is evident from this picture.

Hope you enjoy the composite pic as much as I have enjoyed (and continue to enjoy) reviving the car to some of its former glory.

sincerely;

Rick Barnes :cool:

Edited by Rick

Hi Keith

Thanks for the kudo's.

I'm smilin :o about your OCD and my black wheel lug/s. That's bugged me for some time as well. Given that the car is never parked outside or left unattended for any length of time, I might easily polish up four more regular lugs and appeaz my own sense of symetry by replacing the security lugs.

On a "work in progress" note, I've just purchased a new set of 9J x 16 replica Fuchs (for the rear) and am currently searching for a reasonable deal on a set of new 245/45/16 tires (any brand) to mount on same. That should finish off the look I have been working towards over the last two years.

Will post a couple of pics once the new wheels & rubber are on the car.

cheers!

Edited by Rick

You are going to be in a battle to find tire sizes like that Rick - a real oddball size that boils down to mostly competition tires.

May want to grab these:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/parts-marketplace/724868-two-new-245-45-16-continental-sportcontact-n1-z-rated.html#post9967059

Tire Trends has these:

http://www.tiretrends.com/tire_info.php3?detailID=30507

You may end up having to go with 245/50/16 to find anything at all!

Hi Keith

I was drawing the same conclusion until the local Kal Tire in my neighborhood determined that Bridgestone has just launched a brand new tire line ... Potenza RE-11 ... (summer service only) and offer the 245/45/R16 size I (and many others) have been seeking.

I looked into this a little further and TireRack (USA) has these very tires in stock. I have a set on their way as you read this.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=245%2F&ratio=45&diameter=16

Couldn't be happier to have stumbled :p onto this recent development.

cheers!

Edited by Rick

Hi Rick,

I think you will be very happy with the RE-11's. Althought the design is now a few years old, Bridgestone answered the call (plea?) from Porsche owners for your rather rare tire size. I just drove my second summer on the stock 16" sizes, and I love them.

Marc

'88 Carrera Coupe

Hi Marc

I didn't realize these tires have been available previously as they are featured as "new" on the TireRack site. Regardless, I am pleased to learn you have had good service from your set.

Mine are enroute as I write this and I intend to have them mounted on the new rims just as soon as they arrive. Then ... come next spring ... I intend to drive the Cassis Chariot a lot more than I did last season.

cheers!

Rick

Edited by Rick
Best thing about the RE-11s is you can get a proper sized front tire to match! I was trying to find them on the Bridgestone Canada site the other day when I posted, but it borked my ancient old work computer's browser. Glad you found them regardless!