Altering a LiftKing 4 post lift to allow for an engine drop...

Alex

Hi Guys and Gals!

Well I finally got my LiftKing lift installed in the garage and....it's pretty cool! I now have 6 vehicles inside! A little tight but at least they are all out of this weather and not covered in snow.

One of my upcoming winter projects is going to be an (first time for me) engine drop on the SC to finally rid myself of some pesky oil leaks and for the experience of doing it, as I've heard the line that you have not officially worked on your 911 until you've manned up and done an engine drop.

So how does one alter the ramps to allow for, I believe, a 39-40 inch gap to allow sufficient clearance for an engine drop? Currently the separation between the ramps is 34". Can you post some pics please?

Cheers!

Alex

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

Hi Alex,

Congratulations on the lift install. I cannot help you with your request, but if you do need a hand during the drop let me know and I can give you a hand.

Marc

Hey Marc, I'll certainly let you know when that happens!

In the meantime, I know that you wanted to see the lift at some time but here it is:

liftking.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality shot but I think you get the idea!

Alex

Alex

Hi Alex

I have a 4 post lift "Carlift" brand (not LiftKing) that I modified myself to allow 911 engine drops.

The job was not that difficult as I only needed to spread the ramps another three inches from original configuration. In my case I was able to make the mods to just one side. This is desireable as I did not need to alter the positon of the ramp that holds the hydraulic ram that activates the lift.

The only tools I needed were an appropriately sized carbide tipped drill bit, and a good drill. Careful measurements ... measure twice - drill once ... and a little elbow grease to slide the one ramp to is new resting position and then rebolting it in place.

Have posted a few pictures of my lift to illustrate the change.

IMG_2514.jpg

This ramp is approx. 3.0 inches further left (wider) than originally configured. I did not reuse the bolt for the inside edge of the ramp once relocated as there was no way to accurately drill the hole required through the backside of the crossmember. This has not degraded the stability of the lift.

IMG_2515.jpg

If you like, I would be happy to come by to access the design of your lift and help you devise a feasible alteration plan .. and even help perform the modifications if you wish.

cheers!

Rick :cool:

Edited by Rick

Hi again

Here are a few pictures of the engine drop I performed two seasons ago. Not too difficult to conduct. I had several friends in attendance to make sure I didn't break anything or snag on an edge or line during removal and reinstallation.

Enjoy ...

ed 1.jpg

ed 2.jpg

ed 3.jpg

I used a transmission lift (400 lb. rating) under the engine and a hydraulic lift (under the transmission cross member) to support the engine/trans. while out of the car. Both where on wheels so moving the unit around on the garage floor was pretty easy.

Rick :cool:

Edited by Rick

Rick, thanks for the great pics and description of what needs to be done.

Yes! I would definitely appreciate your help and expertise in the task. I'm not sure exactly when this will take place...probably Jan, Feb or even March as I have other must-do's lined up but I will certainly let you know!

Much appreciated!

Alex

Alex