Howdy and......Where do you get your tires?

Guest tgt40

Sitting here and just got the 'brainwave'....gee I never go on the WRR Page....maybe I SHOULD....:o be more involved, after all my membership begins with 1997.....grin...okay to the tacks then:

I've got Sumitomos on my 996 and I picked up a screw the last week of driving. It's right where the tread meets the sidewall....ish so I figure I need to replace the tire, since I planned maybe one more season only out of these fronts I'm going to replace them both. Now then, I had bought from tirerack.com but is there a local source with similar pricing?

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

Not sure what sizes you need or whether you are restricting your search for Porsche "N" rated tires, but my last set of Bridgestones (RE-11's) were ordered and installed by the NE Costco. Service and pricing was excellent (quick order time, fixing weights to the inside of my old Fuchs rims, filling with nitrogen and being very careful with the small jack pads)!

Marc

'88 911 Carrera

Calgary

Hey Kelly.

I just got new Michelins early last year. I could find no "great deals" like those found at Tire Rack. As a matter of fact, all tire dealers seemed very expensive compared to the American online seller.

I actually wonder if Tire Rack is cheaper after you pay shipping, taxes, and duty. I do know that Discount Tire has good deals and shipping is free (at least last time I checked).

Please let us know if you do find a deal.

Shayne.

Hi Kelly (et al)

I went through the same exercise you outline above. What I concluded was it was still cheaper to order the tires from Tire Rack and pay the duty & shipping. The apples to apples comparison I compiled was as follows ...

Qty. (2) Bridgestone RE-11's (245/45/R16's)

Price to source from Kal Tire (here in Cgy.) $335.00 ea. Installation & balancing extra.

Price to source from Tire Rack (USA) $215.00 ea. + $150.00 total for Duty/Brokerage/Shipping = $290.00 ea. Installation & balancing extra.

[if you ordered a set of 4, the cost per tire looks even better.]

Cost to install & balance same on my wheels $106.00 = tax.

In the end, it was slightly cheaper to order them from the U.S.. Not to mention that Kal Tire would have had to order these tires on a "seasonal production" (batch) order that wouldn't see the tires in my possesion until early spring.

Any way you look at it sports cars are expensive :( ... and a lot of FUN ;) !

I trust the above is somewhat helpful.

sincerely;

Barnsey! :cool:

Edited by Rick

Kelly, what tire size do you need? FWIW, I have a near new (500Km) Potenza 305/30-19 that came off my 997 C4S (rear tire) available.

Alex

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

Hi guys - I need fronts - 225/40ZR-18. I agree, owning these cars is expensive, fun and very cool....but you know, a few bucks in my jeans is better than in someone elses....

Thanks to for the comparison Barnsey...it's close to what I figure as well.

Onward to Tirerack!