1980 911SC Targa - upgrading to Carrera chain tensioners

Alex

Hi all!

I own a 1980 911SC Targa with around 130K. I am the second owner....I have owned it since 1991. I would like to install the Carrera chain tensioners but before I proceed with this project I was wondering if any other members have had experience in doing this, as I would like to DIY. Though I am not a mechanic, I believe that I am fairly mechanically inclined. Any comments? :confused:

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

Hi,

There are several good books for this the best probably the Bentley manual (you can borrow mine if you want) or Wayne Dempsey's (Pelican Parts) 101 projects for your 911 http://www.101projects.com/ . You could always swing by Alpine autowerks and ask Marc if he has some pointers.

Bob James

06 Cayman S

2018 Macan GTS

Thanks Bob!

I have both the 101 projects book and the Bentley manual. The project looks fairly straightforward. I was just wondering if one of our membership had any actual "hands on" experience in this undertaking. I take it that your '79 SC has had this done. Did you DIY or did you have it performed at a trusted shop? How much was the upgrade?

Alex Wilson

80 - 911 SC Targa - blue

06 - Carrera 4S - black

Alex

• 3 weeks later...
Guest andrew15

I've done this to a couple of 911s - The 101 projects is great and covers the process in good detail.

The main takeaway is to keep some tension on the idler arm while swapping out tensioners - basically, don't let the timing chain slip and jump any teeth on the cam or intermediate shaft gears.

Regards,

Andrew M

Thank you very much for your reply Andrew! In your experience can you please describe exactly what the best way is, of keeping the tension on the idler arms?

Thank you again!

Alex

Alex

Guest andrew15

The best way is to get a helper to put some pressure on the idler arms to hold the chain in place.

Then:

- Remove the 13mm nut,

- Take off the old tensioner (may need a bit of prying)

- Put on the new tensioner

- Put the nut back on

- Pull the release pin on the new tensioners to put spring pressure on the idler arm.

Easy :) Should take about 10min per side once you have the covers off :)

If you can wait a few days, i'll post a couple pics of an engine I'm taking apart and show where to hold the idler arm

Regards,

Andrew M

Andrew, that would be just great!...much appreciated!...I'm hoping to make this one of my fall projects.

Alex

Alex