PDA

View Full Version : Leaving for the 2010 PCA Escape on Thursday September 09 ?

Brodie
07-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Hi everyone,
Please sign up here if you are planning on participating in the Thursday departure for the 2010 PCA Escape on Thursday September 09.

Time: Departing 8 am

86 928S
07-30-2010, 04:55 PM
I will be on the thursday run. My Dad is coming along to enjoy the weekend as well.

unreal6
07-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Karen and I will be joining you guys Thursday for the trip. Looking forward to it already!!!

86 928S
07-30-2010, 06:12 PM
I was thinking that we should head out the old hi-way to Canmore. I think Danielle smiles the whole way.:D

KevinJ
07-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Don't forget to stop at the Rogers Pass Visitor Centre to check out the diorama. There is a young lady going with the Thursday group who is a big fan of these displays.

Danielle
07-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Don't forget to stop at the Rogers Pass Visitor Centre to check out the diorama. There is a young lady going with the Thursday group who is a big fan of these displays.

That's going to be highlight of the trip... you know it!!!

Fritz
08-09-2010, 06:25 AM
I just got a participant list from the Escape organizers and I am missing some of you guys on the list.
Please make sure that you registration went through.

Fritz

86 928S
08-09-2010, 10:05 AM
I have confirmed with the ESCAPE people and I am registered. I also have my registration number.

86 928S
08-09-2010, 10:06 AM
We should all get together the weekend before for a coffee and go over our rout and were we plan to stop. I am good for Sept 3rd or 4th.

Caymanwalter
08-09-2010, 02:29 PM
A gtg the week before sunpeaks would be great, are you thinking a mini drive or such? Mckays in Cochrane might be nice if it is not raining, although I think Kevin was talking about a nice drive to Banff too. I might have a bring a different car though as my Cayman might still be in Norden's shop for some new bits being put on. :)

86 928S
08-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Just heard from Renee. My car is done and she said it looks great. I feel like a kid at Christmas. I just want to leave early to go get it. I am up for a mini drive or just a coffee depending on the weather.

Brodie
08-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Rob did Renee take before and after pics of your car? I can't wait to see it.

September 4 is good for Danielle and I.

86 928S
08-09-2010, 03:54 PM
She is posting a picture thread from start to finish. I cant wait to drive it. I think.......I KNOW it will go faster now:cool:

86 928S
08-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Just picked up my car. (It think it is my car.) It is actually Red, not faded orangey-red. Renee is posting all of the pictures. She did an amazing job. I don't remember this car being this red and shiny any time over the last 11 years. I think I will just leave it in my garage and stare at it until September.:D

JT997TT
08-09-2010, 08:04 PM
WOW! Congrats - that will be very enjoyable. Money well spent it sounds like. I'll be watching for pics!

86 928S
08-10-2010, 06:55 PM
here is a taste of what my 928 looks like before and after.

Fritz
08-10-2010, 08:21 PM
How did she turn the black fenders in to red fenders:o:o
Hope she does not turn my green car into a yellow car.

86 928S
08-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I have put the pics on my profile in a new album. Why does the upload not load the pictures in order? It loaded the pics randomly and now i can not sort them?

Fritz
08-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Warning
I got this message from a BC participant

I discovered this problem last weekend when I travelled to Sun Peaks
from Revelstoke B.C. West along the Trans Canada ( Hwy #1.)

Most GPS navigation devices and Google maps give directions to turn
right at Squilax Anglemont Road just before or the Pinantan road after
Chase B.C.

*_THIS ROAD IS A_**_N_**_ UNPAVED BACKROAD_* and should not be used
unless you have an SUV or 4X4!

I actually spoke to a number of tourists that were guided along this
road in their poor rental cars.

It is imperative that people coming to Escape should *drive through
Kamloops and take the Yellowhead (Hwy #5) North then turn right at Old
Highway 5* ( Heffley louis Creek road) to Sun Peaks.

Brodie
08-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Hey Guys,
Here is the list of who is leaving Thursday morning.
We will be meeting at 7:30 AM and departing at 8 AM sharp from Starbucks in Crowfoot center.

If you are not on the list and are planning on joining us please post a message here or private message me.

Martin and Christina K
Steve W
Brodie and Danielle G
J. Ian and Karen C
Rob and John C
Dan and Tracy B

86 928S
08-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Google Maps shows 660km going through Kamloops on the paved road (not the way the map first shows) With fuel, food and Code Yellows and unwanted construction, that should run about 8 ish hours. I have 2 radios I am going to bring. Anyone else that has any 2 way radios should bring them for car to car communications. (I am still unable to text in a car like an 18 year old girl)

Brodie
08-25-2010, 09:44 AM
We are going to see if Costco still has the 3 pack of radios. It would be nice to have one radio per car.

Fritz
08-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Rob, Mapquest shows 8hr 45 minutes without code yellow, construction delay and lunch.

Fritz

86 928S
08-25-2010, 02:13 PM
THat would be taking into acount that we held 90 kph all the way through BC.:p

tbull
08-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Ramona and I are leaving on Thursday morning. I don't want to commit right now on joining the group as work might cause me some delay in departing. We did move off the waiting list into the main event! We are not staying in the Delta, we rented a condo up the street off the golf course. Looking forward to a great weekend! The German Beer sounds great...all you can drink I hope!!!

Rick
08-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi there

After reviewing my work & home commitments, I have decided to join this group leaving for Escape on Thursday a.m.

I'm looking forward to the drive out with all of you. We will be an impressive collection of Porsche's finest.

Should be a great getaway overall.

sincerly;

Rick

87 911 Coupe (Cassis Red)
95 993 Cabriolet (Guards Red)

86 928S
08-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Just got the latest e-mail from ESCAPE. We will need to stop and fuel up in Kamloops as the resort HAS NO GAS!!! This should not pose a problem for all of the 6 cyl people but my thirst V8 needs to have a healthy dose of fuel. Unfortunately my heavy right foot does not help maters.:cool: I am counting down the days just like my kids do before Christmas.

Fritz
08-28-2010, 07:09 AM
Rob, I checked and there is a fuel station in Heffley Creek.

http://www.tnrdfilm.com/locations_detail.php?id=3556

I found the phone number ???-578-7224

Check if they have your poison to your liking. If not than we will have to stop in Kamloops.

I was planing to take the 912 to the show, but the little baby developed a bad case of the runs and it's marking it's territory on the pavement.
I tried to put a new seal in, but it is still leaking. Need another part for it. So I will take the 911.

found another nice link

http://www.tnrdfilm.com/new-directory/sun-peaks.pdf

So how many more sleeps????

86 928S
08-28-2010, 07:53 AM
12 more sleeps!!! Thanks for the info Fritz. Heffley Creek show 32 km from Sun Peaks. It is a 250 area code. I am going to call them today to see what they have on tap. That should work well for anyone that is doing the longer driving tours.

unreal6
08-29-2010, 06:15 PM
As of today (Aug 29), the long range forecast for Kamloops is still looking good!:D

Thursday, Sep. 9
High 25; Low 12 Sunny

Friday, Sep. 10
High 23; Low 12 Isolated showers

Saturday, Sep. 11
High 23; Low 12 Variable cloudiness

Sunday, Sep. 12
High 24; Low 13 Sunny

Danielle
08-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Hey Thursday crew:

Let's get together at the meeting on Wed and we'll discuss the route, place to stop for lunch, do a poll on who had radios etc.

unreal6
08-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Hey Thursday crew:

Let's get together at the meeting on Wed and we'll discuss the route, place to stop for lunch, do a poll on who had radios etc.

Unfortunately, I'm back east this week and won't be able to attend the Wednesday meeting. We do have a radio, if that helps.

Danielle
08-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Unfortunately, I'm back east this week and won't be able to attend the Wednesday meeting. We do have a radio, if that helps.

Hello, do you have 1 radio or 2 radios? I will PM you the details of our discussion after the meeting. Have a safe trip!

86 928S
08-30-2010, 06:37 PM
I wont be able to make the meeting either. I have 2 radios. The only input i have is the fewer the stops the shorter the trip. If we stop for fuel, bathroom and a lunch stop we should be able to make good time. I will see you Thursday the 9th bright and early.

Danielle
08-31-2010, 10:34 AM
I wont be able to make the meeting either. I have 2 radios. The only input i have is the fewer the stops the shorter the trip. If we stop for fuel, bathroom and a lunch stop we should be able to make good time. I will see you Thursday the 9th bright and early.

Ok thanks. I'll send you a PM with the details after also.

911 Turbo
09-01-2010, 11:38 AM
I am also leaving on Thursday morning. I suggest we may want to leave earlier than currently planned. We would encounter less police, traffic and have enough time to settle into our rooms, register and participate at the welcome dinner.

Ray Gumbel has advised as follows:
I discovered this problem last weekend when I travelled to Sun Peaks from Revelstoke B.C. West along the Trans Canada ( Hwy #1.)

Most GPS navigation devices and Google maps give directions to turn right at Squilax Anglemont Road just before or the Pinantan road after Chase B.C.

THIS ROAD IS AN UNPAVED BACKROAD and should not be used unless you have an SUV or 4X4!

It is imperative that people coming to Escape should drive through Kamloops and take the Yellowhead (Hwy #5) North then turn right at Old Highway 5 ( Heffley louis Creek road) to Sun Peaks.
Steve Warner added:
Generally, I'd say travel west on Highway #1 to Kamloops, then north to Sun Peaks as directed. That's the easiest.

However, since I drove Hwy #1 about 3 weeks ago, make sure you check traffic reports closely with respect to construction and/ or closures: west of Banff (bridges and road widening), east of Lake Louise (road widening) west of Lake Louise (Icefields Parkway interchange and paving), west of Field (about 14 km of paving), east of Golden (substantial highway work for several km's).
As a precaution - and depending on what you determine as a group is the best course of action - I may suggest driving to Radium from Eisenhower Junction, then north to Golden. The time difference is less than 45 minutes - for Porsches! And, it's a nicer, quieter drive from Radium to Golden.

No exaggeration here, if there is an accident on Hwy #1 east of Golden (and there have been several this summer already), it is normally closed for several hours.

It looks like an 9+ hour drive (with detour) and so with a lunch / gas break will take us longer longer. If anything goes wrong we will be very pressed for time.

If we want to get to Sun Peaks in time, register, settle in and go to the welcome dinner (7 pm) then I think we need to leave about an hour earlier.

86 928S
09-01-2010, 08:04 PM
I agree with the 7:00 am departure. I would rather leave at 7 and not have to rush if we get construction delays. I also agree with the route through radium. The drive will be nicer and less hassle.

911 Turbo
09-01-2010, 09:16 PM
As discussed at Wednesday September 1 WRR monthly meeting I think we need to plan to leave earlier to get to Escape and Sun Peaks in comfortable time and check in, get registered and enjoy the welcome dinner at 7 pm.

Because of the work I am doing we plan to leave Wednesday late afternoon and overnight in Golden. Let Chris and I know if you plan to do the same and we could do a late dinner together.

Danielle
09-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Hey everyone!!!

Brodie and I might change our plans and hopefully a few more can jump on this bandwagon and we can make our holiday even longer! On the suggestion of Martin & Christina:

An alternate plan is to leave Wednesday evening at 5pm and then stay overnight in Golden and have a nice dinner there together. The next morning we would continue on to sun peaks, arriving there between 1 pm and 2 pm.

I checked and there are good hotel rates for that night in Golden. Is this idea of interest to anyone???

86 928S
09-01-2010, 11:12 PM
I can't leave Wednesday evening. I am still planing to leave at 7:00 am Thursday morning.

Danielle
09-01-2010, 11:21 PM
A suggestion from Dan for the Thursday departure was to meet in Canmore - this way people don't have to waste time driving across the city to meet up and you can gain some time becuase the departure time stays the same.

For those who can't leave Wed. evening, how about a departure time of 8 am Thursday morning, Canmore Tim Horton's?

86 928S
09-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Good idea. Canmore Tim's is a good spot to meet. Besides, the coffee is cheaper there. (I wish I had a cup holder in my car to put a hot coffee it)

Fritz
09-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Rob- it's called a wife/ cup holder

86 928S
09-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Coments like that are probably wy I am on Wife #2. ha-ha

Rick
09-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Hey Rob

I have a solution to your no coffee issue in your 928.

It is actually from Fritz also, but not nearly as troublesome as his suggestion above! :(

I will bring it with me to Escape, and if you like it ... it's yours. I already have one in my 3.2 and it works great. I bring coffee with me on every drive.

cheers!

Rick :cool:

Danielle
09-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey everyone!

Brodie and I have booked ourselves into a room in Golden for Wed. night so it's confirmed that we are leaving Wednesday evening.
Have a great drive and we'll see you all there!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the Thursday morning drive, it makes the most sense to change the departure info:

Time: (meet @ 7:30am) Departing 8 am

unreal6
09-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Hello, do you have 1 radio or 2 radios? I will PM you the details of our discussion after the meeting. Have a safe trip!

We have a couple of radios. Having said that, we're not able to leave the south of Calgary until around 7:30am on the Thursday (have to get my kids onto the schoolbus that morning...). So we might be flying solo, unless there are others that are on the same timetable.

Looking forward to seeing you guys up there!

Glen
09-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Barb and I will also be leaving Thursday.

Based on my experience Revelstoke has the cheapest gas and the best coffee - Modern Bakery and Cafe - it also serves panninis, wraps etc fairly quickly and, best of all, great desserts to go with the coffee.

See you Thursday

dbourlet1128
09-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Tracy and I are not leaving Calgary till just after 7:00AM so we will also wait for you in Canmore.

Dan

Mark
09-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Hi everyone
The drive today was uneventful, a little rain but no snow, temperatures ranging from 5 degrees up to 17 degrees.

Hit a little road construction along the way but no delays.

Johnston canyon parkway - 1km - 60 km/hr
Junction of the 93 - 17km - 50 up to 70 km/hr
Junction at lake louise - 8km - 50 km/hr
Kicking horse - 10km - 60 km/hr - WATCH FOR ANIMALS ON ROAD!!!!!
Blind bay (Shushwap) - 5km - 70 km/hr
Our total drive time from Bragg Creek up to Sunpeaks, in "an old red trucking towing an older red car", was 8 1/2 hours (excluding stops).

Note to anyone needing gas outside of Alberta, cheapest we saw was in Salmon Arm, regular was 99.9 (didn't see the premium price)

We're at the Delta Residences Suite 1301 if anyone needs anything.

Safe driving.

Mark & Yvette

Brodie
09-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the update Mark.

Blair
09-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Hi, This is Blair and Carol Hennes from Medicine Hat. We are heading out to Escape 2010 on thursday am and would like to meet up with the group in Canmore. Is the meet time 7:30 am at Tim Hortons still ok? We are looking forward to a great weekend.

Danielle
09-07-2010, 10:21 PM
There were no objections to the meet time, so rendezvous 7:30 am Thursday in Canmore it is!!

(Brodie and I won't be on that drive becuase we are leaving Wed. evening.) Drive safe everyone!

unreal6
09-08-2010, 06:57 AM
Hi, This is Blair and Carol Hennes from Medicine Hat. We are heading out to Escape 2010 on thursday am and would like to meet up with the group in Canmore. Is the meet time 7:30 am at Tim Hortons still ok? We are looking forward to a great weekend.

Hi Blair,

There's two small groups it looks like for the Thursday AM departure. A couple folks are meeting earlier in Canmore, but a couple of us have early morning commitments to attend to in Calgary before we can leave. If you are interested in an extra 1/2 hour of flex time, my wife Karen and I, as well as Dan, will be arriving at the Canmore Tim Hortons around 8am. Rick is arriving earlier, but has agreed to hang out to drive out with us (thanks Rick!). It would be great to have you along. See you tomorrow!

tbull
09-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Ramona and I are leaving tonight at 6:30 pm for Golden and hopefully get off to a early start in the morning.

Drive Safe!
Ted

Rick
09-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks Ian

I was going to extend the same offer to Blair & Carol.

We'll wait until they show up for sure.
Hi Blair,

There's two small groups it looks like for the Thursday AM departure. A couple folks are meeting earlier in Canmore, but a couple of us have early morning commitments to attend to in Calgary before we can leave. If you are interested in an extra 1/2 hour of flex time, my wife Karen and I, as well as Dan, will be arriving at the Canmore Tim Hortons around 8am. Rick is arriving earlier, but has agreed to hang out to drive out with us (thanks Rick!). It would be great to have you along. See you tomorrow!