Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion.

Rick

Good evening everyone

Just returned from a 5 day trip to Monterey, California to indulge our love of cool cars buy attending the Rolex Motorsports Reunion with Bill M., Ken M., Kevin J., Steve W., Brian A., Adrian L., Ian C.,.

Being my first trip to an event of this calibre, was the equivalent of bringing a junkie to an opium den. The number of makes, models and historical significance of each in attendance was amazing. The fact that this event coincided with the year long celebration of 50 yrs. of Porsche's 911 Carrera simply served to sweeten the affair.

Though virtually every influential "marque" was represented with various models, my favorites by far were the Porsches. I may now boast having seen (and heard) 911T's, ST's R's, RSR's, 910's, 935's, 936's, 962's, & GT1's, tearing up the pavement and straightening the corners @ Laguna Seca raceway.

http://ricks930.shawwebspace.ca/videos/

To fully appreciate just how special this event (and similar ones' such as Goodwood) is, one only has to digest the shear cost of maintaining these very special & rare cars.

The followng picture is of a spare fully reconditioned 1974 vintage 3.0 litre RSR motor (330 hp.) that was for sale in one of the paddocks in the pits.

1974 RSR 3_0 ltr.jpg

asking price: $200,000.00 USD :(

You should return to this thread regularly to see the latest additions from the various attendees as we each return to earth and organize & post the best of the hundreds of pictures and videos we captured.

The event was oustanding and should be on the must see list for anyone even half as interested in cars as I continue to be.

ENJOY!

Barnsey

Edited by Rick

Well said Rick!

On the way to and from Laguna Seca Raceway we stopped at a number of top notch service/restoration and resellers. Canepa Design was certainly a highlight. Having previously visited RM Auctions' facility in southern Ontario, Canepa is a few notches above them. Everything from service to full off body restoration. We even saw a wooden tool box that was made for some vintage auto - complete with all the tools that came with the car when it was sold long ago. The coolest part was that they made some of the tools to put in the tool box based on old black and white photos, as no originals could be found.

Here is one of the many cars they have on display in their showroom...

_DSC0430_1_2.jpg

As you can see - quality - not quantity!

Thanks guys for the invite - I learned a lot about Porsche cars and whole lot more.

Kevin

Edited by KevinJ

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

KMR 968 Turbo
If you have never been it's hard to grasp the sheer amount and lunacy of the cars during that week. I tell everyone they have to check it out at least once in their lifetime.
Jealous!!!

Jim

17 black/black Audi R8 V10 Plus - still within the VW family! a few minor upgrades

12 black/black Cayenne Turbo - a few minor cosmetic enhancements

91 black/black/black 911 C4 Cab - keeping it pretty OEM and basic

Hello once again

I have had a little time to review my picture collection and have selected some shots that are representative of the variety and exclusivity of the cars that were present.

Here (with brief description) are a few waay cool rides .... !

IMG_2748.jpg

1939 Maserati 4CL racer.

IMG_2884.jpg

Martini 917 long tail - capable of 240+ mph (for sale!!)

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

Porsche 910 - you can pick one up for approx. $900K as is!

IMG_2762.jpg

1961 Aston Martin DB4 GT.

IMG_2789.jpg

Intake system for a 1967 Shelby "King Cobra" Can Am car.

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

1970's vintage 911S/R (this one has to be heard to be fully appreciated.)

IMG_2913.jpg

1970 AMC Javelin "Trans AM" car entering the cork screw @ Laguna Seca. (driven by Bruce Canepa to overall class win)

IMG_2773.jpg

Very cool 356 roadster.

IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

Business end of a 911R Factory racer. (300+ hp pushing sub 2200 lbs. 911 - need I say more?)

IMG_2874.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

Intake plumbing on an outlaw Turbo RSR. (700+ hp all dressed up and ready to go!)

IMG_2901.jpg

1987 Porsche 959 - the grandfather of Carrera 4's and subsequent twin turbo cars. (how about 450 hp from just 2.0 ltr. of engine displacement ... OMG!) There were ten (that's right 10) 959's at the Canepa facility in San Jose when we toured it just prior to arriving @ Laguna Seca.

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2847.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

Absolutely stunning 1957 Austin-Healy 100 Six MM!

IMG_2809.jpg

Potential new additions for YOUR garage!!

More to come in another post.

Until then ENJOY!

Barnsey.

Edited by Rick

Thanks for the feedback Shayne!

Here is my favourite photo from the trip. I love it as the car is the 1960 Porsche RS60 Spyder race car that my car (2008 Boxster S RS60 Spyder) is a tribute to.

All the best.

Kevin

_DSC2191_2_3.jpg

Edited by KevinJ

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

Here are two more very COOL Porsches ...

IMG_2775.jpg

1968 911 L Factory Racer. (check out the very rare 5 spoke magnesium wheels.)

Barnsey!

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

Edited by Rick

I learned a lot about Porsche cars and whole lot more.

Kevin

I too learned a whole lot more...:) quite an adventure, great crew.

This was my second time down for Speed Week in Monteray.

The historic races at Laguna Seca (and the paddocks) are an amazing thing to witness, something to salivate over all day. Whether 20's open wheel italian and british cars being flung through the Andretti hairpin, or post-war Ferraris, Masarati's and AC Cobra's blasting down the main straight, or a pack of early 911's (the class had 43!!! entries in it), or TransAm cars, or CanAm cars, or 935's, or...

Maserati racecar - Laguna Seca.JPG

But its not just the racing, the auctions are in full swing. RM, Rosso&Steele and others. The one auction I witnessed was a pre-war Mercedes that sold for $6.8MM (plus buyers premium). I guess there are more lotto winners out there than I would have guessed to bid on these cars!

Then there were the car shows. Pebble Beach gets most of the press, but there are shows going every day. Concorso features the italians, while Autobann features the Porsches, MB's and Audis. Pebble has the fashionable out in full force, while Concours de Lemans has some of the more, ahem, interesting cars on display (when was the last time you saw a single, let alone six Cosworth Vega's in one place).

Alfa Romeo at Pebble.JPG

Simplex - Pebble Beach Show.JPG

911s at Pebble.JPG

But my favourite part of SpeedWeek is not really the organized events. It is the sheer number of rare and cool cars that seem to be randomly driving around, or parked on every street. It seems like every tenth car is something interesting. Here's a few example encounters...

550 Spyder

550 Spyder - Carmel street.JPG

Barn find 911ST, with all the rare typeR stuff...

911ST - Carmel street.JPG

Even more rare, 908 (at least, that's what the guy told me...:rolleyes:)

908 - San Francisco.JPG

Very clean 911S outlaw, with 2.7L

911S - Carmel street.JPG

The elusive 911 Baja (not just for bugs anymore I guess)

911Baja - Cantina cars and coffee.JPG

And the Singer 911. $460K it could be yours. Modern 964 chassis, 3.6L dual plug and an amazingly beautiful interior that smelled like fresh ball glove. Mmmmmmm.

Singer 911 - Baja Cantina.JPG

Edited by 66SWB

Gentlemen,

Thanks for posting your pictures and providing your commentary. Brings back memories from the previous Monterey Historics (featuring Porsche) in 2009. A must do for every petrol-head! Perhaps we can get you guys to do a presentation at 1 of our monthly meetings?

Marc