Airport Trail Tunnel Show and Shine

Danielle

From Mr. Hild of The City Of Calgary:

"We are looking forward to our Opening event on Saturday, May 24 between 11am – 2pm inside the Airport Trail tunnel.

We are planning to put all the Show ‘n Shine vehicles in the south side of the tunnel and put everything else in the north side of the tunnel (ex. stage area, displays, first aid tent, etc.). Because the tunnel is so long (620 meters – over 2,000 feet) and each tunnel side is 15 metres wide (i.e. 49 feet), we have the opportunity to display hundreds of vehicles. We are thinking of having each vehicle angle park against the two walls of the south side of the tunnel in stalls of approximately 13 feet x 19.7 feet. There will be an area in the middle of the tunnel where people can walk from one end to other, about 10 feet wide.

We would like all the Show ‘n Shine vehicles in place by 10:30am so that we don’t have too many conflicts between vehicles and pedestrians. The Show ‘n Shine vehicles should come to the east portal of the tunnel, off 36 Street NE – you can get onto 36 Street from Country Hills Boulevard to the north or from 80 Avenue/64 Avenue to the south. At the end of the event, we are hoping that most of the public leaves before 3pm so that the Show ‘n Shine vehicles can leave the tunnel.

The “official program” for the Opening will take place between 12noon – 12:30pm on the stage area in the north tunnel near the east end. We also plan to have a couple of small musical groups playing on the stage before and after the program, as well as some “roving” entertainers (animal balloon makers, magicians, etc.). We are also looking at having some food trucks present."

Sound good, no? Fill out this form & email to the contact below to attend!

Airport Trail Tunnel Show and Shine May 24 / 2014

Registration Form

Name: _______________________________

Phone: ____________________ Cell: ___________________

Email: _____________________________

Make of car: ______________________________

Model: ____________________________

Year: _______________________

Name of Club: ____WILD ROSE REGION PORSCHE CLUB________

Would you like your car to be displayed with the other members of your club? Yes ___ No___

- Entry will start at 8:00 AM and all show cars must be parked in the show area by 10:00 AM.

Please return this form before May 10 / 2014 by email to James.

Click here to email your registration form.

Edited by Danielle
  • 1 month later...

Anybody else planning on attending this?

I just registered. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to be a part of history. I imagine the look of wonder and pride that my future great-grandchildren will give me when I'm 80, and I am able to tell them that I was there to do my civic duty on tunnel opening day.

Hey stranger ... Long time no talk to!

I see from your signature above you were successful at finding a new project? Look forward to seeing the 944 soon. Hope all else is well with you and family.

Barnsey! :cool:

Yes Rick, after much discussion, I convinced the wife that we should get another roommate. I stumbled upon a fetching 28 year old German girl in an on line ad, and happy to report she's just moved into our garage. In her ad pictures, she looked fast. But my first impressions of seeing her in person was that she was a bit dirtier than I had expected. So I've been needing to spend quite a few long evenings with her in the garage, washing her - she had dust in so many places! Looking forward to you all meeting her this summer!
I will be there. Just got the new back tires today and dropped the rims off. Should have them back in a day or so. I just want to open up my 928S in the tunnel and see how many car alarms I can set off. Hahahahahahaha

Rob Campbell

2001 996, Cabriolet - Rainforest Green Metallic

1986 928S, India Red - SOLD

do we have a coffee shop meet prior to going into the tunnel?

thx.....Malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

I am not sure how many cars have signed up but I can always use another cup of coffee. Where is a good place to meet at that end of the city? Has anyone received any info on the show and shine yet?

Rob Campbell

I emailed James, the man in charge, and he said parking passes will be mailed this week. You will need to bring your pass to get into the show.
From Mr. Hild of The City Of Calgary:

We would like all the Show ‘n Shine vehicles in place by 10:30am so that we don’t have too many conflicts between vehicles and pedestrians. The Show ‘n Shine vehicles should come to the east portal of the tunnel, off 36 Street NE – you can get onto 36 Street from Country Hills Boulevard to the north or from 80 Avenue/64 Avenue to the south. .

I'm in for coffee that morning. I don't know the area well (at all, actually), so I did a Starbucks search... There is one in Saddletowne (just to the east of the tunnel entrance), off 80th Ave NE at the Safeway there (850 Saddletowne Circle NE). Opens at 8am on Saturdays.

What do you guys think, meet there at 9:15-9:30am? Head over together at 10ish?

As long as we get our parking pass, we will be there too. Haven't heard anything yet so I'm not sure if we even made it in the show before it was filled.

Has anyone received confirmation already?

no, I haven't :(

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

When I sent my registration in I did receive a reply saying that my registration was received and they would send me an info package email before the show but I have not seen anything yet.

Rob Campbell

I sent an email to James Peachey this morning , the guy with the City that replied to my registration, but have not heard back on any show info. Anyone else get any info?

Rob Campbell

I sent the following to James Peachey again this morning with no response yet. I am wondering if we just show up.

"Good morning James,

There are a handful of Porsche Club members that submitted registration forms for the Tunnel Show this Saturday. We are excited to participate in the show but we have not received any info on where to be at what time and if we need a parking pass. Can you let me know what the plan is and I can pass it along please?

Thanks"

Rob Campbell

I just received the email and parking pass. Looks like I have a 7:20am parking time. Might bring a pillow to have a nap. Haha

Rob Campbell

did the pass come with the email? can we share?.....nothing in my mail box :(

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

I received 2 attachments with the email. It had a generic parking pass and some directions. The directions are as follows......

In order to achieve this time of 10:00 AM all cars that have pre registered will be givenan appointed time for entry, please do not arrive more than 5 min. before yourappointed time, otherwise you will haveto wait and you will be blocking traffic. Clubs and groups that want there carsparked in a particular order should meet in a place of your choice and form aline that is in the order that you want to park and then proceed to the show inthat order. When you get to the tunnel your cars will be parked in the order inwhich you arrive.

I was given a 7:20am parking time. There is a Petro Canada Gas station beside the Country Hills Toyota on the East side of Deerfoot we could meet at 6:45 and drive over for 7:20 if anyone is interested in parking as a group.

Let me know if anyone that pre-registered does not get the email and I can send you the parking pass to print off.

Rob Campbell

we'll need a rescue vehicle for coffee and food............how long are the cars in the tunnel for?

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

For the members that preregistered but have not received the email from the organizers I will bring some extra printed parking passes. Who needs one?

Rob Campbell

For the members that preregistered but have not received the email from the organizers I will bring some extra printed parking passes. Who needs one?

Rob, I've still heard bupkis from the organizers. If you could bring a copy of the pass for me, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks Rob.

Danielle emailed the organizer a few times and hasn't received a response.

Plans have changed for us and we won't be able to go.

That's too bad. I will see you guys Sunday then. For the rest who are going to the show, I will be at the Petro Canada truck stop beside Country Hills Toyota by 6:45 with extra parking passes.

Rob Campbell

Hey guys.

Plans have changed again...

We got our parking pass so we figured it's meant to be!

Our time is 8:00am

See y'all tomorrow!