Back from vacation and fixing the Oil leaks on my 87 911.

Rick

Hello everyone ...

Returned from vacation last weekend and still adjusting to getting up early and not having afternoon naps. :(

Started work on my 3.2 last Sunday. Dropped the engine & trans. for easier access to the areas that require my attention. Documenting the steps (with pictures) for a newsletter write up in a Fall or Winter edition of Ramblin Rose.

Here are a couple from the removal phase.

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

Hope everyone has found time for a few drives between the hail & rain that have defined most of our Calgary summer. :mad:

Will have my 3.2 ready in time for Escape 2010. There will be lot's to see & do there.

Rick :cool:

Edited by Rick
Hi Danielle

How was the Starland camping weekend? Did the weather cooperate?

Rick

The weather was perfect, even the night wasnt as chilly as you would expect! The place is very nice and there were NO snakes! Hopefully you can come next year. I've posted a few pics on the forum thread, check 'em, out!

Hey Rick,

Welcome back.

I noticed in the picture you have a zip lock bag wrapped around a hose. Is that hose part of the oil sump system?

Hi Brodie

Yes, that line allows oil to flow from the saddle tank (located inside the right rear fender of the car) to the inlet side of the Oil pump which is located in the engine block.

Porsche's use a "dry sump" oil system which tolerates high "g" forces and prevents the engine from starving for oil during hard cornering.

The other end of that same line is passing through the lower portion of the primary oil cooler. If you are interested in taking a closer look I will be reinstalling the engine & transmission this Sunday and you are welcome to come over.

Warning ... I will likely put you to work if you do come over. ;) (Fritz's tells me your a good apprentice!)

cheers!

Hello again everyone

Thanks to the generous help provided by Brodie Green and Dan Bourlet, the engine & transmission from my 87 Carrera are back where they belong.

With watchful eyes and carefully applied muscle we lowered the car back onto the eng & trans yesterday. Once we aligned and secured the transmission mounts to the body structure, everything else pretty much fell (figurative term) into place.

I'll be reconnecting all of the fuel lines and sensor over the next evening or two and expect to fire up the car mid week.

Thanks again to Brodie and Dan for all your help. It wouldn't have happend without you.

Looking forward to dinner & drinks (on me) with you both in the very near future. I'll drive the 87 to meet up with you then.

cheers!

Rick

87 Cassis Red 911 Coupe

95 Guards Red 993 Cabriolet

Edited by Rick

Hello again everyone ...

With the work now complete (and the car making great Porsche sounds again), I drove my 87 to Mobile Solutions customer BBQ today.

IMG_1799.jpg

Nothing fell off the car enroute :p, so I should be 100% go for the treck to Escape 2010 in two weeks.

IMG_1809.jpg

The Mobile Solutions event was well attended (approx. 160 - 170 visitors) during the afternoon. The weather cooperated and there were plenty of exotic's as well as several North American classics present.

Look forard to seeing you at the monthly meeting this Wednesday. Meeting detals are posted on the Schedled Events forum. http://www.porsche.ab.ca/content.php?126-scheduled-events

rgds;

Edited by Rick