Car Covers - Yes or No and what type

DavidM

I am debating getting a car cover. It is an 05 997S, so not a classic, though has low mileage and the original paint is in great shape. I am considering a cover because the car has an irritating water mark on the windshield from storage by it’s previous owner in a structure that developed a leaked. As the car will be winter stored in a unheated garage and not checked daily, I am thinking a cover may prevent an unpleasant surprise.

I am concerned though that a cover could cause more problems than it may prevent (i.e. scratches, trapped moisture, etc.) Also, I am not sure if it is best to go with an indoor versus outdoor cover or where best to source it (i.e. Porsche or elsewhere.)

If anyone has any thoughts, I would be interested to hear them.

Nostrathomas

I use a car cover myself during storage (and actually during driving season as well, as its a little bit of extra protection against door dings from our other car). It's also good for random spills/drips from above and preventing dust accumulation (which can scratch your car more than a good cover).

I think the key is to make sure to get one that is breathable, and that let's the moisture out. You definitely don't want one that will trap water inside.

Personally, I stay away from most Porsche merchandise...they tend to just take already existing goods (ie, a battery tender), slap on a Porsche crest and jack up the price.

1990 964 C2 - Guards Red

2007 Cayman - Guards Red (former)

I do.....they also hide the car so one doesn't get upset from not driving all winter :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Hi David

Yes ... I am a believer in using a good quality car cover to protect the paint finish ... and minimize your rework after the car has sat for extending periods of time.

I have found good quality indoor covers for a reasonable price at .. Canadian Tire. These breathe well and don't cost 100s of dollars.

Alberta's climate is categorized as semi arid and therefore unless the car will be stored outside you shouldn't have any pronounced moisture issues unless ... as you stated earlier ... the car ends up under a persistent water source.

cheers!

Barnsey :cool:

Edited by Rick