Fuchs refinishing

Paul

Just acquired a set of Fuchs (thanks Ken) and am looking to get them refinished. They are currently chrome with black background and i am more partial to the RSR finish. Any suggestions as to where to get them refinished locally? Any suggestions and feedback always welcome.....cheers.

‘12 Targa 4S - Amythist metallic

'81 SC Targa - sold but not forgotten

Rob posted some before and afters of Alberta Wheel Repair's work.

Here's the link:

http://www.porsche.ab.ca/showthread.php?772-18-quot-Carerra-Rim-Repair&p=3158#post3158

Paul,

Are they chrome or are they polished? Big difference in what work needs to be done to get to RSR finish.

I re-finished my own Fuchs this past winter. They are 15x7's that had previously had the anodizing removed (crudely) and then polished. Here's what I did in a nutshell:

- tape up the polished lip to keep the polish on it

- bead blasted the rims, petals, etc. until a consistent finish was had. I used a basic sand blaster and glass beads purchased at Princess Auto using a home grade 5 gal air compressor - nothing fancy

- here's where it gets a bit trickier - the original Fuchs were painted by 'dipping' them in black paint. That's how they got the petals painted. So I did two of mine by trying to mimic this by taping up the backs of the holes in the spokes and then filling up the center with paint to the proper height. This was a complete PITA, and really messy.

- I gave up on that, and for the next 2 wheels, I just taped up the petals and spray painted them. It's pretty fussy taping up and trying to get a straight line when absolutely every surface is curved.

- the paint I used is pretty fancy - Tremclad semi-gloss black.

If the anodizing has not been removed from your rims - all Fuchs were anodized from new - then you need to remove the anodizing using lye - easiest found in oven cleaner (extra strength - not the enviro friendly kind).

I'll post some pictures when I can find them and get them online!

Thanks everyone for the advise. Keith, your wheels look great. Thank you for your "recipe", I will definitely do a bit more research on howvto remove the chrome finish.

‘12 Targa 4S - Amythist metallic

'81 SC Targa - sold but not forgotten