Leveraging the "Aftermarket" ?

Rick

Good afternoon ...

As long as I have had an interest in cars, it has been primarily about the performance the power trains produce.

I would likely be just as happy driving a Rat Rod with 400+ hp as behind the wheel of a brand new 2015 GT3 when it comes to enjoying the acceleration of a high performance engine. The fact Rat Rods aren't designed to go around corners all that well ... anchors my obsession in Porsche ... period.

Going around corners quickly or fast in a straight line only heightens my admiration for the engineering & science behind the ongoing advances in design. (double over head camshafts, high compression ratios, variable valve timing - interference designs, variable length intake tracks, direct injection, etc., etc.)

In the automotive world, many pivotal designs exist that raised the bar and challenged all that followed to better the effort. Racing was/is a proving ground for many advances. Porsche's H6 (horizontal or flat six) "the Boxer" design ranks high among an enviable list ... and the Mezger variation raised the bar even higher forging its (and his) reputation through World Class competition. From its' original 2.0 ltr. 130 hp introduction in 1963 through to the 3.6 ltr. 845 hp (turbo charged) version at the end of its' reign in racing.

That engine and its' lengthy list of competition wins was the single biggest factor in my decision to purchase the 2004 GT3 I currently own. Think about these numbers for just a moment ... and see if you aren't impressed by the genius of its maker and his colleagues!

Displacement = 3600 cc

Configuration = liquid cooled horizontal six cyl.

Compression ratio = 11.7:1

Valve train = double overhead cam / 4 valve per cyl.

Fuel delivery = electronic fuel injection.

Output = 381 hp @ 7400 rpm and 284 lb/ft of torque @ 5000 rpm

Engine red line = 8200 rpm

In summary, this normally aspirated engine creates in excess of 105hp / ltr. and is designed for a service life exceeding 100,000+ kms.!

As a car guy, if that doesn't impress you perhaps this will ... top speed capability ... as delivered from the show room floor ... 190 mph or 305 kph.

There is a really good article published in the Dec. 2011 issue of GTPorsche (see excerpt below) if you would like to read more about this amazing engine.

image.jpg

Given all of the above ... it's' hard to think that a DIY'er like myself (see: rank amateur mechanic) could possibly improve on an engine design as epic as the masterpiece found in my GT3.

In reality the economic demands of modern automotive mfg. (i.e.: the need for profitability) regularly impose constraints & compromises on even the most purpose built models. The opportunities this creates has given rise to a segment we know as the "parts aftermarket". Many reputable companies produce specialty parts for Porsche's which can liberate extra power that Corporate PnLs' suppressed.

The demand from enthusiasts is sufficient that the Mfg.s themselves have created their own performance subsidiaries. BMW's "M" div., Mercedes Benz "AMG" line, Audi's "Stasis" div. to mention a few.

One only needs to do a little research and low & behold an exhaustive list of aftermarket vendors are just waiting to sell you their wares. Some are pure snake oil but many items are the result of sound engineering & testing and offer tangible improvements.

One of those items of particular interest to me is IPD's high flow aluminum intake plenum for the Mk. II GT3 engine. This plenum was designed to improve air flow to the engine by enhancing high velocity air flow in the intake tracks to the cylinders.

The result of IPD's design & testing efforts produced a plenum & throttle body combination that unlocks an additional 24 hp & 20 lb./ft of torque (dynamometer proven to occur lower in the engines' rpm range) on the 3.6 ltr. GT3 engine.

[Coincidentally the next generation 997.1 based GT3 uses the same 3600 cc engine as found in my 996 Mk. II variant. Its' output is factory rated as 415 hp @ 7600 rpm and 298 lb./ft of torque @ 5500 rpm .. by exploiting the same intake path efficiency principles as IPD used in designing the plenum/throttle body arrangement I will be installing.]

As a bolt on accessory that does not require modifying the internal engine components .. I quickly convinced myself to upgrade my GT3.

So, if the above has intrigued your interest in higher performance ... feel free to follow along as I document the installation in the coming days - weeks.

Barnsey! :cool:

Edited by Rick

Subscribed!

OK what's involved in "bolting" that sucker in Rick? Can it be done on a 997TT, seeing as it also has a Mezger engine?

Alex

1980 911SC Targa "turbo" - Light Blue Metallic

2007 997TT Coupe - black/black and black - now wrapped Gloss Red Metallic

"As a car guy, if that doesn't impress you perhaps this will ... top speed capability ... as delivered from the show room floor ... 190 mph or 305 kph."......very impressed!

"The result of IPD's design & testing efforts produced a plenum & throttle body combination that unlocks an additional 24 hp & 20 lb./ft of torque (dynamometer proven to occur lower in the engines' rpm range) on the 3.6 ltr. GT3 engine."

nice power increase with a bolt on out of the box piece, be interesting to do a follow up in the spring to verify your impressions.

I changed the exhaust on the 928 GTS to more high flow version (Xpipe and high flow cats) with a claimed 35hp increase........seat of the pants impression is more free reving and improved sound :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Hi Malcolm

I have learned to temper my expectations of aftermarket mfgs. claims of "big" performance gains from bolt on components. In the case of the IPD plenum +24 hp is roughly a 6% gain over stock ratings ... which is in the realm of possible in my opinion.

http://www.ipdplenums.com/products/plenums/carreras/996-gt3-mark-ii#

Seat of the pants testing will regrettably have to wait until spring.

More to come.

Barnsey :cool:

Edited by Rick

Well ...

Today was the perfect day to undertake the installation of the IPD intake plenum & throttle body on my GT3.

Given the the mild temperatures outside, I only needed to run the electric heaters for about an hour to bring the garage up to a comfortable temperature.

The tools required for the job would be common to anyone used to taking on mildly complex DIY projects. 10 mm thru 13 mm sockets, a Phillips screw driver and a 12 mm box end wrench. (nothing more)

Getting underway

image.jpg

Air box removed ..

image.jpg

Stock Throttle body & Plenum removed ..

image.jpg

New plenum installed ..

image.jpg

New plenum & throttle body installed ..

image.jpg

After reconnecting all the sensor hook ups, the air box was reinstalled. Modification completed in 3.5 hrs.

Now just need spring to arrive for the inaugural road test to allow the ME7.8 Motronic ECU to record a few hard acceration runs. That will involk the ECU to recalibrate .. and adapt for the deeper breathing the new plenum & larger throttle body will permit.

Barnesey! :cool:

Edited by Rick
fit and finish look great.....revisit in +3mths :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Observations & Conclusions.

Having completed the Plenum & Throttle body installation ... I offer the following for like minded members to ponder.

#1.) In comparing the stock plenum to the IPD piece several differences are apparent.

Stock Plenum

image.jpg

IPD Plenum

image.jpg

The IPD plenum is clearly a more complex casting shape than the stock unit and as such would add extra mfg. cost as standard trim.

The IPD design incorporates a wier (diverter) at the back of the cross tube which encourages a smoother flow transition (left & right) to each bank of cylinders. This will enable higher flow volume through the intake track, reducing reflective turbulence (standing waves) and increasing the volumetric efficiency of the engine.

The stock unit relies on manifold vacuum alone to direct air to each bank of cylinders. Incoming air hitting the non contoured back of the stock unit will have some of that flow reflected back towards the front of the plenum ... which at different engine rpm ranges will begin to restrict the Plenums' abilty to flow air efficiently.

The IPD unit also incorporates dimples in its surface walls which help maintain good air - fuel mixing characteristics. The more homogenous the air/fuel mixture is .. the more complete its combustion will be.

#2.) The stock throttle body on the 996 GT3 is 76mm in diameter.

image.jpg

The IPD plenum is designed to work with Porsches' 82mm throttle body. Further evidence that the IPD plenum flows more air than the factory plenum. (note: the 82mm throttle body is standard issue on 997 based GT3's. I am not familiar with what changes were made to the 997's plenum over the 996 model. Will have to look into that later.)

In conclusion ... the design principles employed in the IPD plenum make good sense to me.

Looking forward to spring to determine what (if any) real world improvement is evident after making this modification. I will provide an update after that drive.

Happy New Year!

Edited by Rick

Hey thanks for sharing Rick! You're a testament to all of us DIY weekend P mechanics!

I've got a project in waiting myself this winter/early spring as I have to tackle this coolant leak on my 997TT. I may have to summon some help from the DIY braintrust so I maybe giving you notice!

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Alex

Hi Erik

Thanks!

Must admit that I didn't realize we held a "Dyno day" event for the club! Is it in conjunction with one of the tuner shops .. or do you have your chassis dyno operational?

I would be willing to hook up the GT3 to get a sense of the rear wheel horsepower the car is putting out. Given the engine has just 10,000 kms. on it now, it should produce healthy numbers.

Cheers!

Edited by Rick
KMR 968 Turbo
We held it in August at a friends chassis dyno near Okotoks. We had 10 cars and the results were interesting. I haven't published the results as I would need to ask permission before doing so. In the past we have used the dyno at Concept 1 but this year they had trouble getting an operator to work on the weekend which is why we used my friends.

Rick,

I would pay admission to hear that puppy sing at 8200 rpm!

Erik, you have my permission to publish the insane numbers my car posted!

‘12 Targa 4S - Amythist metallic

'81 SC Targa - sold but not forgotten

• 4 weeks later...
I put one on my Cayenne Turbo (plenum not TB) and I will say I didn't notice any HP feel difference, but the sound and the freer power curve was much better than stock. I had an EVO intake and cat bypass pipes too. You need them all to really make a difference.

Bob James

06 Cayman S

2018 Macan GTS

Hi Bob

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the results from your modifications.

Not surprised to learn you didn't feel much (if any) increase in performance. Given your Cayenne Turbo has 475 - 500 hp from the factory, an additional 15 - 20 hp (as IPD advertises) would be hard to perceive.

To have done this properly, I should have conducted a dyno run before the installation, to establish a baseline and then again after the installation to measure the difference.

I elected to leave the factory exhaust system intact .. as GT3's have a relatively free flowing system already, given they are designed with regular track duty in mind.

In the case of your Cayenne, reusing the stock throttle body would reduce the Enhanced Plenums' ability to flow more air to the cylinders.

The smaller inlet diameter of the stock throttle body will act as an obstruction at the rpm range were higher flow rates could be realized if the extra air was freely available. The same principle is applied in racing .. when cars from a higher classification are permitted to compete in lower categories. The larger displacement engines are required to run with a restricter plate under the carburetor ... or use a smaller throttle body if the engine is fuel injected ... to restrict their power output.

Will provide my seat of the pants impression when spring rolls around.

cheers!

Edited by Rick

Hello again ..

As a follow up to my reply to Bob posted earlier ... I came across this great cut away diagram (artist unknown!) of the Mezger engine. It clearly depicts the intake plenum & manifolds and the throttle bodies that manage both combustion air flow and the variable length of the intake tracks.

image.jpg

The variable length intake tracks allow the engine to make more torque at both low and high rpm ranges. The engine breathes through the longer intake path during low rpm operation and transistions to the shorter path at higher rpm ranges. This feature was first offered on Carrera engines with the 993 series cars. (Vario-ram)

The rectangular shaped object in the upper left corner of the image is the engine mounted oil tank for this dry sump engine.

image.jpg

The oil circuit within the engine is depicted well in the diagram above.

cheers!

Edited by Rick
.........This feature was first offered on the 993 series Carreras. (Vario ram)

Very interesting.......Porsche used a valve in their intake system to vary volume back in the S4 model of the 928. The valve is actuated by vacuum which is triggered electronically at ~3700rpm.....similar to the sensation of 'coming on cam'.

Its a nice seat of the pants kick.

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

My comments were to supplement yours Rick, no correction intended :)

As engine designers have 'played' with various configurations to provide best torque and horsepower with improved fuel consumption throughout the rev range its interesting, at least to me, how far they have progressed.

Flavour of the day seems smaller displacement with turbo charging and auto/semi-auto gearboxes with all sorts of management so control is maintained despite driver skill level.

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Thanks for the update Rick!

Where did you get that great cutaway image of the Mezger design from? Sorry OT here, but as you might recall I'm having an issue with a small coolant leak on my TT and having a cutaway view of the cooling system would be a great place for me to start the diagnostic process.

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Alex

Hi Alex ...

No luck finding the cut away image/s you are after. Found these two which are Turbo related ... however lacking the proper view angle to highlight the cooling circuit.

image.jpg

image.jpg

You will likely have to bite the bullet and purchase a workshop manual.

cheers

Edited by Rick
  • 1 month later...
KMR 968 Turbo

Alex,

Check these out:

http://www.evoms.com/Torque_Solution_GT1_Engine_Water_Pipe_Repair_Kit_p/ts-por-001.htm

I installed those in my 996TT. The engine had to come out to do it. I had them TIG welded in to fix the problem for good. Your problem could also be another set of pipes. They have a replacement for them too:

http://www.evoms.com/Porsche_Turbo_997_Coolannt_Replacement_Pipes_p/sw997cp.htm

If I had the engine out to fix a leak I would put in both the sleeves and the replacement pipes.

Edited by KMR 968 Turbo

Soo ...

Today was the ideal day to conduct my "seat of the pants" evaluation to the IPD Plenum & 82mm throttle body install on my 04 GT3.

In brief ... the time, effort & expense were worthwhile. The car pulls really hard from 4800 to 7200 rpm. Prior to the modification, the engines' sweet spot occurred between 5500 and 7200 rpm. I can't confirm if the peak output is any higher, but having the power available sooner is a welcome shift.

Will consider another drive next weekend ... if the forecast holds for +15C.

rgds;

Edited by Rick
Alex,

Check these out:

http://www.evoms.com/Torque_Solution_GT1_Engine_Water_Pipe_Repair_Kit_p/ts-por-001.htm

I installed those in my 996TT. The engine had to come out to do it. I had them TIG welded in to fix the problem for good. Your problem could also be another set of pipes. They have a replacement for them too:

http://www.evoms.com/Porsche_Turbo_997_Coolannt_Replacement_Pipes_p/sw997cp.htm

If I had the engine out to fix a leak I would put in both the sleeves and the replacement pipes.

Thanks for the info Erik. Who did your repair work and about how much did they charge you, if you don't mind me asking?:confused:

Alex

^^^Erik, I just sent you an email.

Alex