Parade vs. Rennsport 2023

Danielle

Holy smokes, 2023 is looking good for us Porschefolk!

Rennsport Reunion is confirmed for Sept 2023. Looks like they are waiting on a decision about upcoming track improvements at Laguna Seca before selecting a location - but that's the hopeful & tentative destination.

Parade 2023 is in Palm Springs June 18-24, finally re-scheduled after the tedious 3 year wait since the unfortunate covid cancellation.

It's quite the pickle... which to choose? 🤔

• Danielle changed the title to Parade vs. Rennsport 2023
  • 4 weeks later...

Porsche announces dates and location for next Rennsport Reunion 

17/05/2022

The next Porsche Rennsport Reunion will be held at Weathertech Raceway Laguna Seca near Monterey, California, from September 28th to October 1st in 2023.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    •  
    •  
    •  

This will be the seventh running of the Rennsport Reunion and marks the fourth time that the iconic California race circuit is the stage for a celebration of the motorsports heart of Porsche. Further information on themes and ticket sales will be announced in due course.

During the four-day event, fans of all ages will not only get to experience exciting racing action with vintage and contemporary Porsche race cars on track, but also be able to see many rare Porsche vehicles, enjoy new vehicle reveals, E-Sports, fan zones, and take part in opportunities to meet and interact with drivers as they share their exciting racing experiences. Rennsport Reunion will also offer a host of other off-track activities.

917/30 Spyder, Rennsport Reunion VI, WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, California, 2018, Porsche AG

“California and Porsche are a dream pairing, and the Monterey Peninsula is an ideal spot to bring the two together for an unforgettable weekend with so much happening both on and off the track” said Kjell Gruner, President and CEO of Porsche Cars North America Inc. “Rennsport Reunion is for everyone – we’re creating an experience that’s special, whether you’re or a long-time enthusiast or are new to Porsche and are learning about our cars for the first time. Rennsport Seven is going to be bigger and more exciting than ever and yet at its core it’s the people that sets it apart – all are welcome, and I can’t wait to share our plans in the coming months.”

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

• 4 months later...

The Rennsport Reunion VII ticket website opened early for PCA members, I was super excited to sign up since it feels like we're really on the tail end of covid and Kathy and I are hopefully getting past a high demand period in our personal life dealing with aging parents and helping kids get launched, and re-launched etc

But buying tickets was an absolutely CRAP experience: pages freezing, error messages "event is unavailable due to heavy demand" - they sold 40,000 last time and there are 140,000+ PCA members - did they think they were only going to get 6 or 7 interested buyers today?  Took me well over 2 hours to get a ticket for general admission, paddock for 993, and corral (whatever that is).  And no tickets available for just general admission but no paddock parking (in case you want to bring just one car with 2 people). One of the most frustrating online experiences of my entire life, and that is saying something.  Others are reporting struggling with this for 3 to 6 hours.  Have any others tried this, and how was your experience?

I have a strong suspicion that this was mostly out of PCA's hands since they generally seem well run and organized (at least based on my experience with our local chapter, which even handled a big snow dump at Banff Treffen with total aplomb!).   From what I can tell the website Tix.com is contracted by Laguna Seca. I really hate to wish this on anyone, but whoever did the capacity planning / testing and UAT at Tix.com really should be out of a job - I can't imagine they are happy in their work anyway as the lack of pride of craft is glaringly obvious.  I reckon they really need to hire Brodie for big bucks to get this mess fixed. 

Oh, and there's also a "Legends Club” VIP package - interestingly, this includes admission and paddock parking – if you buy at least 3 tickets… because yeah everyone with a 2-seater Porsche is somehow going to bring 3 people. Makes absolutely zero sense. Also, the info says Sept 28 – Oct 1 (4 days) vs description that says “3 day admission”, so it’s only for 3 days, unless it’s for 4 days, glad we clarified that one.

Anyway I am confident that when we hit the ground PCA will have it all well organized and running smoothly, and that PCNA will likewise have their part running like the assembly line at Stuttgart.  

image.jpeg.07dd9d4cabb955b71df1bc3d3ec88e64.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I share your website frustration - it took me an entire afternoon of checking & re-checking before getting my tickets!

Just goes to show the extremely high demand for this event. It's gonna be awesome!

Did you try to book accommodation too? That was an adventure in itself! 😮

P.S. Corral parking is totally worth it - you get to park inside the track loop along with literally 1000 other Porsches belonging to fellow PCA members.

• 2 months later...

Danielle, i booked accommodations the minute the dates were announced back in May.  Hotels only had online booking for 12 months ahead so we ended up getting a VRBO at Carmel Valley, about 15 minutes from Laguna Seca on what looks like a nice twisty road :)

We also ended up getting Legends Club tickets, with their eye-watering price of admission I anticipate vintage champagne with caviar, lobster, foie gras, and beer-fed hand massaged Kobe beef directly imported from Japan.

It comes with parking in the “Blue zone” instead of the corral, i assume this means we will live to be at least 100 years old.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be registering for Parade next week, Feb 1st.  Hopefully there is a group that wants to make the trip.  If not I may do the late night "brisk speed" drive in 2 ish days Solo.  Very excited to get to Parade again.

Rob Campbell

2001 996, Cabriolet - Rainforest Green Metallic

1986 928S, India Red - SOLD

I'm thinking about doing the drive.  I'd heard from some folks that in previous years, they shipped their cars to Abbotsford to start, which cuts down considerably on drive time.  I'm not 100% sure on my schedule then, so may or may not being doing it in a hurry as well.

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke SOLD!

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon

Interesting bits of Rennsport news:

A webpage dedicated to Rennsport 2023 is supposed to launch Feb 15, as well as a "major" announcement from Porsche regarding Rennsport will follow on the 16th.

All Porsche corrals are sold out, (1749 parking stalls) so congrats to those who stuck it out to register. Ticket income is 3x the total of Rennsport 2018 and 100,000 people are expected to attend.  

100% of Porsche's ticket revenue is going right back into the event, Porsche has said this is not a money-maker for them, but an event for Porsche owners. This will likely cause several "market adjustment" dealers to clutch at their pearls. 

The hottest ticket will likely be the Porsche hospitality tent, tickets are not sold for this as it is by invitation only for VIP's, limited to 700 guests. As an aside for any WRR VIP's who qualify, I am available as a +1...

Al 

• 2 months later...