Castrol Raceway Edmonton Alberta

Perci

Had my first opportunity to try out the new full road course.:D Technically challenging 2.7km with an emphasis on using the right amount of brakes in the right place. The Speedway corner (turn 12) is banked, followed by a left 180 flat curve. I'll need to explore them a bit more before I decide which line through works the best for me. The straights aren't too long, and there are enough corners to keep you busy. Maybe not a great track, but certainly a good one.

One challenging combination of note: Turns 8 and 7 (they numbered them, then ended up reversing the direction), the latter already being nicknamed "Pucker". The straight approaching 8 has a slight rise, which is just enough to hide the corner until very late, or too late if you haven't braked. We were the 3rd users of the full track, and you could already see the skidmarks of those who were 'too late'. "Pucker" is a tight, seemingly reverse camber, right turn that my car just didn't want to follow. Understeered like mad. Then a quick left, right, and onto the 'front' straight. There is a chicane halfway down the straight to provide a track exit to the hot pit and to control speed. You can still get fast enough for turn 14 to get your attention!:eek:

I liked it and plan to get back, next year, if not this one.:cool:castrol.jpg

Edited by Perci
add track map

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

I was up there last Sunday to watch Eurasia races - some great cars Mclaren MP4-12C, 458 Italia, R8 V10. I honestly thought the driver of the McLaren was going to lose it on turn 14. They were drivign the @#&@$ out of their cars. NICE to see.

I think the Miata guys were having more fun though. Less stree when its not $200k plus. Porsche presence was not good - 10%.

I will go up to the track again - there is some lapping events with track junkies. Could be fun - Compared to Calgarys facility it is outstanding(little bitter).

• 2 weeks later...
On a brand new track there is no excuse not to use safe barrier on the walls, let's hope they get their act together.

The excuse is always money. My preference is to have a track and add more safety later.

IMHO, the only place where Safer Barrier is really needed is turn 14, and as I understand it, that corner (wall) is going to be revised due to the track direction reversal. We'll have to wait until next year to see final configurations.

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT