2015 Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion

Rick

Good Sunday morning everyone ...

I recently had the good fortune to attend the Monterey Motorsports Reunion in California with several other members of the WRR club.

My route to the event started with a flight to Victoria, B.C. were I met up with former WRR member Dan Bourlet. Dan & I then proceeded to make our way South (via the Black Ball Ferry to Port Angeles, Wa.) in his limited edition 2008 Boxster RS60. We allowed 3 days to drive to Monterey following the coastal highway through Washington, Oregon and California.

This was our first time driving that road and I would recommend to anyone with a passion for driving to make that trip at least once in your lifetime.

The 2015 Motorsports Reunion was as amazing this (second) time for me as it was in 2013. This year's event paid tribute to the Ford Shelby GT350 Mustangs' 50th Anniversary with 35 competition examples of the iconic car competing throughout the weekend. There was also a Show & Shine held in one of the racetracks parking lots that saw another 50+ gleaming examples of this iconic marque.

Staying true to its propose, the 2015 Motorsports Reunion was host to a grand gathering of historic race cars from every manufacturer and specialty designer from around the world. This year's collection of cars was very impressive (as is so every other year) and I have provided some pictures of the cars that caught my eye.

Trust you will enjoy these pictures as much as I did in taking them ... and seeing the cars perform in the racing environment they were designed for.

IMG_1046.jpg

Porsche (type 962)

IMG_1052.jpg

Porsche 356 Speedster

IMG_1068.jpg

Porsche 550 Spyder (stinger exhaust)

IMG_1070.jpg

Porsche 550 Spyder (c/w prototype wing)

IMG_1101.jpg

Porsche (type RS718) cockpit

IMG_1132.jpg

Early 911 rally car (tribute) ... featured in March 2013 edition of Total 911.

IMG_1157.jpg

Carrera GT (type 904)

IMG_1158.jpg

Carrera GT (Furhmann 4 cam engine)

IMG_1160.jpg

Self explanitory

IMG_1169.jpg

2004 GT3 RS

IMG_1174.jpg

Paris - Dakar rally car

IMG_1178.jpg

Porsche 550 Spyder

IMG_1180.jpg

Porsche (type 993) GT1

IMG_1182.jpg

Porsche (type 996) GT2

IMG_1183.jpg

Early 911 (great windshield decal)

IMG_1199.jpg

Renault -Alpine

IMG_1204.jpg

as above!

IMG_1222.jpg

Ferrari 250 GTO

IMG_1226.jpg

Shelby GT-350 Mustangs

IMG_1236.jpg

Porsche (type 906)

IMG_1116.jpg

Jaguar XK120

IMG_1215.jpg

Ford GT40 (24 hr. Lemans winner)

IMG_1207.jpg

Porsche (type 917) 24 hr. Lemans winner

I will encourage the other WRR attendees to this event to add their favorite pictures here to enhance the post.

Hope you enjoy!

Barnsey! :cool:

Edited by Rick

Great photos Rick!

My third time to Speed Week, but it never gets tiresome. Everywhere you look, there are special cars. At the shows and auctions (obviously), but casually parked at the Laguna Seca paddock, and driving around the streets of Monterey. I came home with a sore neck, don't know if it was from sleeping in an RV, or from constantly whirling around to get a look at the next fantastic sounding machine driving up behind me.

Some of my photos...

Don't know if I've ever seen a real GT350H (the few made for Hertz that you could rent for the weekend). Here's a couple, along with those oh so common regular GT350's (LOL).

Laguna - Shelby GT350H row 1.jpg

Loved his window sticker on the GT500, bet it saves him lots of time when dealing with the latest cop pulling him over to inspect his car...

Laguna - GT500 I know I know.jpg

Carrera Abarth, lowly 550 Spyder in the background...

Werks - Carrera Abarth left front.jpg

Prewar race cars at Laguna Seca Historics were pretty cool... Compared to the 50's Ferraris, 60's TransAm, Formula car classes, they seemed like they were struggling at times to get up the hill that leads to the corkscrew, but very neat to see up close.

Laguna paddock - prewar racecars rear.jpg

At the local cars & coffee at Baja Cantina, lots of interesting stuff comes out to play. Somebody is commercially recreating these beasts under the company name American Delahaye. Might look at little strange driving up McLeod Trail, but didn't seem that odd in Monterey.

Baja Cantina - American Delehaye2.jpg

Kevin, my attempt at the artsy shot... Citroen SM (the Masarati powered one).

Baja Cantina - Citroen SM glare.jpg

Street shot from Carmel...

Carmel street - Speedster double parked.jpg

Another Carmel driveway, clogged with a vintage Bugatti. Wonder if its the wife's grocery getter...

Carmel street - Bugatti.jpg

The antithesis of Pebble Beach, was the Concours d' Lemons show. This lovely Karmann Ghia cabriolet was on display, and being used by a local television reporter to introduce the show. Upon getting out of the car, I made a point of advising her that she might want to consider updating her shots... Incidently, we saw this car at a local car dealer the day before, for sale at $US 3900. It did run, and although the tires would only hold air for a couple hours at a time (carry a compressor, make sure its 6 volt), was advised you 'could' drive it home. Send me a PM if you're interested, I'll give you the dealer's info.

LeMons - Dodis ghia reporter1.jpg

Lemons show - entrants intent on winning were encouraged to leave bribes for the judges... Closing announcements by the organizers included a very polite but firm message that entrants must actually take their cars home after the show, they do not want them just left behind...

LeMons - Judge bribes beer.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few more pictures from the trip (mostly non-Porsche) to provide a little broader flavor for the events.

IMG_1117.jpg

How's that for "Emblem" prestige!

IMG_1118.jpg

Beautiful Lamborghini coach & engine work.

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

Check out the "lunch box" and 300 kph speedometer.

IMG_1185.jpg

OK .. one more Porsche pic. (for Ian and Mark)

IMG_1142.jpg

Long & Low @ Baja Cantina

IMG_1149.jpg

Lower still @ Baja Cantina

IMG_1251.jpg

Low & Classy @ Blackhawk Museum.

IMG_1252.jpg

Enjoy!

Barnsey :cool:

Edited by Rick