Stolen 2004 Boxster S

dina

Hello everyone,

Please read the email I received below. As fellow Porsche owners, we all know the attachment we have with our cars. Please keep a look out for the lost Boxster S and share this information with as many people as you can. Thank you for help.

My friends, I need your help. Something with huge sentimental value was recently taken from us and we want it back badly. We were victims of a B&E on Wed. Sept. 30th, 2015. Items stolen from our home were computers, luggage and cash. Those items can be replaced but what can't be is the emotional attachment we have to our car which we've made amazing vacation memories with over the past 11 years of owning it. Most special were the first kms we put on it while we were breaking it in on the German Autobahn and 4 other European countries when it was brand new. The B&E occurred just 6 days after returning from a month long, 10,000km trip with it to the south western US as far south as Phoenix AZ. On this trip we experienced such beautiful and exciting things such as the Bear Tooth Highway, Monument Valley, the Grand Canyon, Route 66 and Zion Canyon with it. At the time of the B&E and theft of our car, I was in the office for the last time packing up my stuff as I was laid off from my engineering company. Talk about having a rough day....

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1108903055&edited=true&posted=true&adActivated=true

Please if you can, forward this out to everyone that you know. Calgary police suggest the car may have been abandoned shortly after they used it as a getaway car and may be sitting on a street somewhere in Calgary. Just no one has reported it yet. I'm trying to better our chances of ever seeing it again and want as many eyes possible keeping a lookout for it. The license plates may have already been swapped so the VIN is the only sure way to tell it's our car.

I know it sounds silly but our car feels like a family member and we desperately want it back with us where it belongs.

We thank you in advance...

Jeff & Ileane

• 6 months later...
mrdunlop944

Global news had a story on some recovered stolen goods.

A Porsche Boxster is one item found. Fingers crossed its this one!

84 944 SOLD

85 944/1

85.5 944 Parts car Sold

86 944 SOLD

86 944 Turbo SOLD

88 944S parts car sold

88 924S Sold

88 944 Turbo S SOLD

89 944 Turbo

90 944S2 coupe Sold

90 944S2 coupe Parts car Sold

90 944S2 Cabrio SOLD

KMR 968 Turbo
I saw the news report too and I e-mailed Jeff to ask if it was his car. I have not heard back yet. I know he took a settlement from the insurance company back in January because it looked like the car was gone for good. I gave him a heads up that a Boxster has been found and hopefully he can buy it back from insurance.
KMR 968 Turbo

From the owner:

After I heard the news yesterday I went to check out the inventory of stolen items online. My heart initially jumped when I saw there was a Boxster there but unfortunately it's listed as a 1997. I suppose this at least gives us hope that our 2004 can one day be found in a similar manner.

We actually decided to wait the maximum allowable time that AllState is giving us to settle on the vehicle which is 2 years. So technically we still own it.

Thanks for continuing to keep your eyes and ears out for us!

Edited by KMR 968 Turbo
  • 6 months later...
KMR 968 Turbo

Update: The car was recently recovered. Got permission from the owner to share their story:

They got a call from a CPS vehicle theft unit officer asking if their car was sold or was still missing. When they confirmed to him that was yet to be discovered, he then proceeded to tell them that a 70 year old man just registered it in Crossfield a couple days earlier and that most likely he was an unsuspecting victim. RCMP confiscated the vehicle and it was taken to an auto body shop here in Calgary undergoing damage assessment. Their initial excitement and assumption that it was in great condition being an older gentleman bought it was short lived once they found out the car was involved in a non-reported collision and was no longer roadworthy.

The old man purchased the vehicle at an auction in as-is condition. The stolen key for the car wasn't included in the purchase so perhaps he was just going to use it as a parts car? The thieves drove the car for about 580 kms before crashing it as my friend knew what the odometer read right before it was stolen. They have no idea on the time line of when it was crashed or when the auction company had possession of it.

Currently auto body estimates are coming in and the cost of repairing it is well over 20k already and that's before mechanical inspection even commences at Porsche. Insurance has said to them in so many words that they will most likely write the car off and don't want to proceed with the mechanical inspection. The damage is fairly limited to the right front corner and they believe the car is salvageable. There is minor damage to the interior and of course they don't know yet if the power train is trashed or not. Obviously the car will never be the same as it was but they are not ready to give it up yet.

KMR 968 Turbo

Another note from them:

They heard last week where the Boxster mostly likely sat for the past year. This is what they now know via RCMP information. The Crossfield gentleman who 'purchased' and registered the Boxster didn't get it at a car auction. He bought it at a storage company auction. Their B&E occurred the last day of Sept. 2015. According to the RCMP, their car was brought to Crossfield Storage Sept. 2015, which is just north of the town and right beside the QE2. It was dropped off by a female who gave a fake name and paid for one month of storage with cash. Nobody seems to know if the car had already suffered from the damage when it was initially dropped off there or if the thieves came back, drove it some more, crashed it and then abandoned it at the storage facility. They are guessing the latter as 580kms is a lot to put on in one day. Anyways, the car sat there and storage fees weren't being paid. Then they understand the storage company has the right to auction off contents of storage to recoup their losses....no questions asked. The Crossfield guy bought it late August of this year. He apparently was looking for a winter project and their car was it. Only when he registered it did it flag as stolen and the authorities were called.

Using a female to do the dirty work is the usual MO that these criminals used in recent crimes in our area as they are the sacrificial lambs so to speak if they get caught. For example, exactly 6 months after their B&E, they saw from two different windows in their house, a suspicious vehicle driving slowly around the neighborhood. Female driver, male passenger. They called it in with the truck's plate number to the CPS non-emergency number and about 5 mins later they heard the police helicopter. Turns out it was a stolen vehicle and the helicopter tracked the truck down at SouthCentre mall. All they could do is arrest the female driver. Two male occupants were let go and they had tools in the truck that would be used to break into houses. Probably the same punks who broke into my friends house and they were scouting out their next target. While the males weren't arrested, it gave my friends satisfaction that they at least ruined their day.

About 4 months ago a house down the street from them got hit. The lady of the house hopped in her car to go pick something at the store. Came back 20 mins later to find a pickup truck backed into her driveway. She approached the truck and a young woman was in the driver seat. Asked why she was there and the driver failed to engage with her. Then moments later a male was walking out of her house with a suitcase full of her goods. The homeowner literally tried to wrestle the suitcase away from him at which time he then instructed the female driver to shoot her. That's when the flight mechanism kicked in and she ran down the street to get help. They did manage to arrest the two of them and since then, the B&E's have seemed to stop in the area. So this was most likely the same thieves that dinged them. Looks like they probably get these young women hooked on drugs and use them to help in these crimes and take the wrap if they get caught.

KMR 968 Turbo

They have since bought the car back from insurance and are in the process of getting it fixed. With regards to the mechanical, they are now considering an engine swap (3.6 or 3.8). Porsche said the engine seems fine but of course they can't take it for a road test in it's current state. So once they get it back on the road they may discover some powertrain issues and might need to swap it out anyways. Even if it is fine, they may still do it and make the car even better than it was.

They are wondering if anyone out there has done this before and may be able to pass on the name of a shop who did it for them and was happy with their work. They prefer to leave the car normally aspirated and 'as stock' as possible, just with a higher displacement engine.