Recommendation for Epoxy Garage Flooring

ErikA

I'm hoping folks here have a recommendation for good, and hopefully reasonably priced, installers of epoxy garage floor coatings. The more the better - and happy to hear your experiences, good, bad and indifferent. Thanks in advance!

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke SOLD!

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon

Hello Eric ...

I don't have any experience with epoxy floor coatings, however we recently covered the floor of our storage bay at The Stash with a Polyaspartic coating.

IMG_0844.jpg

It is claimed to be tougher and more durable than epoxy. As with any chemical sealant for concrete, I understand that the preparation work on the surface to be coated is the most critical stage. A poorly prepared surface will not accept any coating well.

I can put you in touch with the outfit that installed the coating in our bay.

sincerely;

Barnsey :cool:

Hi Rick, I've seen your bay it it is spectacular. Sounds like an interesting option - would you mind popping me the details of the contractor, in a PM if you prefer? Thanks!!

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

Hello again Erik ..

The gentleman that did the floor in our bay is ..

Lou of Riverside

cell# (403) 669-1678

Feel free to reach out to him directly. Lou agreed to me posting his contact info.

on our public forum.

cheers!

Rick

Edited by Rick

There is also an newer product out there called G-Floor. I've seen it promoted at places like Home Depot in small sizes but the company I work at has become the distributor in Calgary for the commercial applications. It comes in large rolls in various textures and can have graphics printed on the underside if you want a picture or certain pattern. It is a vinyl product that is supposed to be tough enough for garages and is chemical resistant. If you want to check it out contact Sign Craft Digital 403-735-1903. Our facility is at 4300 - 116 Ave SE, Calgary. Our entry to our offices is done in it so you can see a printed sample in person.

Lee Kersch

KMR 968 Turbo
There is also an newer product out there called G-Floor. I've seen it promoted at places like Home Depot in small sizes but the company I work at has become the distributor in Calgary for the commercial applications. It comes in large rolls in various textures and can have graphics printed on the underside if you want a picture or certain pattern. It is a vinyl product that is supposed to be tough enough for garages and is chemical resistant. If you want to check it out contact Sign Craft Digital 403-735-1903. Our facility is at 4300 - 116 Ave SE, Calgary. Our entry to our offices is done in it so you can see a printed sample in person.

Lee Kersch

Any idea of cost? I looked online and from what I saw this product was about $8.50 per square foot to buy - no installation cost in that. Pretty expensive and I wonder how it looks - especially if your floor is not perfectly level. A dip here or there might make a pucker and look awkward.

IMG_3111.jpgIMG_3110.JPGWe did the foyer in our offices and it looks great! I'm sure the floor would have to be pretty level though. Not cheap at $12 to $15 per square with printed image on the underside plus $1.75/sqft install, but a unique idea if you want something few other people will have. I'll post a picture off my phone shortly. What is really cool is it is only limited by your imagination what you can do. My boss had an artist sketch a sidewalk drawing up for our foyer but any high resolution picture will do. Edited by kkersch
  • 2 months later...

On Rick's recommendation, I ended up using Lou at Riverside Contracting. He was super accommodating and even worked through a day off to fit me in before the January cold snap hit. Here are a couple pictures of before flooring and paint:

image3-L.jpg

image4-L.jpg

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

And here is the after. Next steps will be storage, work benches, upgraded lighting and a 220V service for a welder:

image2-L.jpg

image1-L.jpg

image5-L.jpg

IMG_5392-X2.jpg

Edited by ErikA

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

nice looking floor.......how long did it take to dry?

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

It took 2 days to lay down because he did an extra clear coat. After that, it was totally cured overnight.

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

Looks great. I wanna do mine.

84 944 SOLD

85 944/1

85.5 944 Parts car Sold

86 944 SOLD

86 944 Turbo SOLD

88 944S parts car sold

88 924S Sold

88 944 Turbo S SOLD

89 944 Turbo

90 944S2 coupe Sold

90 944S2 coupe Parts car Sold

90 944S2 Cabrio SOLD

I 100% recommend it. I went with a polyspartic coating, instead of epoxy. More durable apparently!

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

• 2 weeks later...
I used Garage Plan-It in my aircraft hanger. They use a high temperature epoxy suitable for aircraft hangers in Southern California. They can put chips and grit in it to your liking. The grit is mandatory or you will slip and fall when it gets wet. Price was very reasonable and they came and did everything including the prep. Don't bother with the Home Depot stuff, it will delaminate over time. The industrial stuff these guys use will last a long time. It's been 3 years and the floor is still perfect.

'05 CGT/'14 Turbo/'18 GT2RS