Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost Ready

Almost Ready

Have been doing a partial tear down and rebuild. Its almost done and ready for the season. Bought a 99 C2 Coupe that needed some TLC.

Did all of the maintenance items I could think of this winter including: plugs, tubes, oil pain gasket, coil packs, AOS, MAF, replaced all vacuum lines, cleaned throttle body, a few coolant hoses, coolant flush, manual transmission fluid change, engine mounts, oil filler tube, rotors, pads, brake fluid flush, lower coffin arm, and a good scrub.

Pulled the headlights apart as the PO swapped them out for the litronic type but they had water/dirt on the inside. Rewired them as they hadn't been soldered and the connections were not waterproof. Cleaned them out and blacked them out. Replaced the headlight drain lines. As well as all new bulbs and LED's.

Pulled the front bumper and replaced a few parts that had some minor damage from the PO. Also, re-sprayed all of the radiators and A/C condensers as one was silver and one was black. Added some mesh to the openings.

Gave her a quick polish, but will finish that job shortly and top coat with Ceramic. V36 and V38 chemical guys polish. Amazing stuff.

Also replaced a few missing belly pans and missing front fender liners.

Rolled the rear fenders and installed some new rubber all around. Running turbo wheels 18x11 with the 45 rear offset, so could only get 295 to fit.

Ordered some coilovers that should be here in a week or so to replace the tired original struts and to get it a little lower.

Also fixed some power seat issues, cleaned the seat tracks and tidied up the wiring under the seat. Ordered and installed the seat rail trim pieces that were missing.

Added the non-smoker package that included the coin tray replacement for the ashtray and an updated lighter with the correct size and non-smoking plug. This gives it a better feel inside as a lowered the AC unit and replaced the single DIN radio with a double DIN. Also added a white gauge cluster kit for a small update to the dash. A few more interior pieces on order from Porsche. Signal light stall cover, wiper stalk cover, cruise stalk cover and CD holder to shelf replacement.

Shampooed the inside for what felt like three days until the water came out clear. How did it get so dirty?

Dealt with a horn problem as the PO had miss-diagnosed a no horn issue and connected the horn output to the alarm siren instead of just replacing the failed two tone horns.

Working on the roof rails this weekend as most of the clips are broken and the PO lost the covers for the roof rack holes. Ordered most of the parts, but need a few more clips. What a crazy design.

Still need to deal with a sunroof issue. If anyone knows how these things work inside and out let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ddavidoff; 03-26-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Cool car great purchase. Amazing what can happen when a car falls into the lap of an enthusiast. Keep up the good work look forward to seeing your 911.
    Last edited by mrdunlop944; 03-26-2017 at 09:10 PM.

85 944/1 Guards Red
    88 924S Guards Red “SOLD”
    90 944S2 coupe Zyclam Red Pearl Effect
    90 944S2 coupe Guards Red “PARTS CAR”

Closest I can come to the sunroof is fixing one on my 964C4. What is the issue with yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Perci

PCA DE Instructor
    2014 Cayman S
    2000 Boxster S
    2000 Carrera

Quote Originally Posted by Perci View Post
    Closest I can come to the sunroof is fixing one on my 964C4. What is the issue with yours?

It's intermittent on wanting to slide open and closed fully. The tilt works great, but the slide not so much. I also need to re-attach the interior cover, but I can't seem to get it on/in properly and it catches and further disrupts the sliding movement.

Sounds similar to what mine was doing. IIRC it was a broken toothed track on one side that wouldn't engage the teeth on the motor. Wasn't hard to replace, nor too expensive. Based on what you posted above, it should not be too challenging for you. Does Bentley make a manual for the 996? If not you are welcome to borrow the 964 manual. I'm betting it's pretty much the same.

Perci

PCA DE Instructor
    2014 Cayman S
    2000 Boxster S
    2000 Carrera

Very impressed. Can I drop one of mine off with you for a month? : - )
    Jim

17 black/black Audi R8 V10 Plus - still within the VW family ...
    12 black/black Cayenne Turbo - a few minor cosmetic enhancements
    91 black/black/black 911 C4 Cab - Getting more stock every day

Quote Originally Posted by Perci View Post
    Sounds similar to what mine was doing. IIRC it was a broken toothed track on one side that wouldn't engage the teeth on the motor. Wasn't hard to replace, nor too expensive. Based on what you posted above, it should not be too challenging for you. Does Bentley make a manual for the 996? If not you are welcome to borrow the 964 manual. I'm betting it's pretty much the same.

Not sure about the bentley manual. I will look into that. I think you're right that I may need some parts. It might be a task for the end of the summer. Or I just order a new one and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JT997TT View Post
    Very impressed. Can I drop one of mine off with you for a month? : - )
    Haha. This one has me almost worn out for this season, so no more projects for me. Almost time to just enjoy driving it.

Pelican has this writeup, but not sure if it helps: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...DY-Sunroof.htm

Other than that, some forums might have some advice?

Great looking car, by the way!
    Erik

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke
    2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon

Quote Originally Posted by ErikA View Post
    Pelican has this writeup, but not sure if it helps: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...DY-Sunroof.htm

Other than that, some forums might have some advice?

Great looking car, by the way!
    Thanks. I did read through that one and their advice seems to be replace the motor and/or replace the whole assembly. Both are costly options.