Almost Ready

ddavidoff

Have been doing a partial tear down and rebuild. Its almost done and ready for the season. Bought a 99 C2 Coupe that needed some TLC.

8561c4f7765ed9ab64e024593a08826f.jpg

Did all of the maintenance items I could think of this winter including: plugs, tubes, oil pain gasket, coil packs, AOS, MAF, replaced all vacuum lines, cleaned throttle body, a few coolant hoses, coolant flush, manual transmission fluid change, engine mounts, oil filler tube, rotors, pads, brake fluid flush, lower coffin arm, and a good scrub.

48277ff694c7a4a9f4bdee6b9b171f80.jpg

Pulled the headlights apart as the PO swapped them out for the litronic type but they had water/dirt on the inside. Rewired them as they hadn't been soldered and the connections were not waterproof. Cleaned them out and blacked them out. Replaced the headlight drain lines. As well as all new bulbs and LED's.

2d830f4376759b56c486c7635ad18f06.jpg

Pulled the front bumper and replaced a few parts that had some minor damage from the PO. Also, re-sprayed all of the radiators and A/C condensers as one was silver and one was black. Added some mesh to the openings.

f03e01d9384d250d2d4567a0da0f4659.jpg

Gave her a quick polish, but will finish that job shortly and top coat with Ceramic. V36 and V38 chemical guys polish. Amazing stuff.

Also replaced a few missing belly pans and missing front fender liners.

0e80b919ed8313e371bc35ea1c41dea3.jpg

Rolled the rear fenders and installed some new rubber all around. Running turbo wheels 18x11 with the 45 rear offset, so could only get 295 to fit.

6ded24274e06ecd8499c2c0aa4451ed3.jpg

Ordered some coilovers that should be here in a week or so to replace the tired original struts and to get it a little lower.

Also fixed some power seat issues, cleaned the seat tracks and tidied up the wiring under the seat. Ordered and installed the seat rail trim pieces that were missing.

cea64eebf3d09d6e35810df1076e710d.jpg

Added the non-smoker package that included the coin tray replacement for the ashtray and an updated lighter with the correct size and non-smoking plug. This gives it a better feel inside as a lowered the AC unit and replaced the single DIN radio with a double DIN. Also added a white gauge cluster kit for a small update to the dash. A few more interior pieces on order from Porsche. Signal light stall cover, wiper stalk cover, cruise stalk cover and CD holder to shelf replacement.

ca9ac14198fa2c2115ca4e8ebdb3dc14.jpg

3c8ec19ce38de3dcadb9fa17184d5743.jpg

Shampooed the inside for what felt like three days until the water came out clear. How did it get so dirty?

Dealt with a horn problem as the PO had miss-diagnosed a no horn issue and connected the horn output to the alarm siren instead of just replacing the failed two tone horns.

Working on the roof rails this weekend as most of the clips are broken and the PO lost the covers for the roof rack holes. Ordered most of the parts, but need a few more clips. What a crazy design.

Still need to deal with a sunroof issue. If anyone knows how these things work inside and out let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ddavidoff
mrdunlop944
Cool car great purchase. Amazing what can happen when a car falls into the lap of an enthusiast. Keep up the good work look forward to seeing your 911. Edited by mrdunlop944

84 944 SOLD

85 944/1

85.5 944 Parts car Sold

86 944 SOLD

86 944 Turbo SOLD

88 944S parts car sold

88 924S Sold

88 944 Turbo S SOLD

89 944 Turbo

90 944S2 coupe Sold

90 944S2 coupe Parts car Sold

90 944S2 Cabrio SOLD

Closest I can come to the sunroof is fixing one on my 964C4. What is the issue with yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

Closest I can come to the sunroof is fixing one on my 964C4. What is the issue with yours?

It's intermittent on wanting to slide open and closed fully. The tilt works great, but the slide not so much. I also need to re-attach the interior cover, but I can't seem to get it on/in properly and it catches and further disrupts the sliding movement.

Sounds similar to what mine was doing. IIRC it was a broken toothed track on one side that wouldn't engage the teeth on the motor. Wasn't hard to replace, nor too expensive. Based on what you posted above, it should not be too challenging for you. Does Bentley make a manual for the 996? If not you are welcome to borrow the 964 manual. I'm betting it's pretty much the same.

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

Very impressed. Can I drop one of mine off with you for a month? : - )

Jim

17 black/black Audi R8 V10 Plus - still within the VW family! a few minor upgrades

12 black/black Cayenne Turbo - a few minor cosmetic enhancements

91 black/black/black 911 C4 Cab - keeping it pretty OEM and basic

Sounds similar to what mine was doing. IIRC it was a broken toothed track on one side that wouldn't engage the teeth on the motor. Wasn't hard to replace, nor too expensive. Based on what you posted above, it should not be too challenging for you. Does Bentley make a manual for the 996? If not you are welcome to borrow the 964 manual. I'm betting it's pretty much the same.

Not sure about the bentley manual. I will look into that. I think you're right that I may need some parts. It might be a task for the end of the summer. Or I just order a new one and be done with it.

Very impressed. Can I drop one of mine off with you for a month? : - )

Haha. This one has me almost worn out for this season, so no more projects for me. Almost time to just enjoy driving it.

Pelican has this writeup, but not sure if it helps: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-996-997-Carrera/105-BODY-Sunroof/105-BODY-Sunroof.htm

Other than that, some forums might have some advice?

Great looking car, by the way!

Thanks. I did read through that one and their advice seems to be replace the motor and/or replace the whole assembly. Both are costly options.

check out Rennlist David.....theyre advice is real life owners not predicated on selling parts :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

It looks like you can't buy the cables separately, which is what I did. Ouch.

[TABLE=class: Main_Table_Class]

[TR]

[TD=class: listing-title, colspan: 2]" Sunroof Cable and Frame Assembly Note: The replacement cables are not available separately.

[/TD]

[TD=class: listing-price-surround][/TD]

[TD] "

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 80%][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

It looks like you can't buy the cables separately, which is what I did. Ouch.

[TABLE=class: Main_Table_Class]

[TR]

[TD=class: listing-title, colspan: 2]" Sunroof Cable and Frame Assembly Note: The replacement cables are not available separately.

[/TD]

[TD=class: listing-price-surround][/TD]

[TD] "

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 80%][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Yep. It's the whole assembly or nothing. I did find a used one, but that's a risk as well. I will read through the tech manual and see what it has to say.

David - "a little TLC"??? You are being extremely modest. I will echo Mike's comments about "the lap of an enthusiast", you have rescued the life of a 996. Love those turbo wheels..... When you replaced the coolant did you use a vacuum device to pull the fluid through and eliminate trapped air?

Marc

David - "a little TLC"??? You are being extremely modest. I will echo Mike's comments about "the lap of an enthusiast", you have rescued the life of a 996. Love those turbo wheels..... When you replaced the coolant did you use a vacuum device to pull the fluid through and eliminate trapped air?

Marc

Lol. I guess it was more extensive than I had planned. And I missed a few things on that list....

Yes, I used a vacuum filler. Found one at Princess Auto for under 80 bucks. It's a dream to use and also checks for leaks. Highly recommend it.

I also have a pressure bleeder.

These tools make the jobs so simple. IMO

New center caps arrived to replace the Turbo ones. I decided to clear coat them as the last ones I purchased for my Cayenne started to flake.

5e58850b133388950b5e2ba7a5a5cb22.jpg

Also, pulled the brakes apart again as my coilovers should be here soon and I noticed that I put the discs on the wrong side. Didn't realize the fronts have a left and a right. I guess the drilled holes were a clue.

793d62daba94601a9b1c0c105af80954.jpg

Edited by ddavidoff
  • 2 weeks later...