Night with the PIWIS

ddavidoff

Anyone have connections with service at Porsche Calgary that they would allow us to each hookup PIWIS and change and options we would like and scan our vehicles for codes etc?

Maybe at one of the monthly meetings that we have there they could bring it out?

Maybe it a dumb idea, but I would love to sit beside someone knowledgeable in using one and have them run through some of the basic diagnostics and make any changes that were available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had thought options could be changed with a durametric scanner?

http://www.durametric.com/

I believe a couple of members have such a device:)

Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

David,

I checked with the service manager at PCC regarding your idea. Unfortunately they are not keen to offer this to members as it goes against their policy of combining proper diagnostic and maintenance requirements. in other words they would not read a code and not also determine the cause of it. Also, depending on what factory coding you wanted to modify, certain options available in Europe would be locked out in Canadian PIWIS testers.

Marc

Thanks for checking. I guess my best option is to buy the durametric pro.

Also, thought it might be interesting to have the experts show us a few things about the brains of these cars. Guess not.

Edited by ddavidoff

Please remember that the dealer is not there to provide things for free, they are for profit businesses. Also, there are things they are not allowed to do as a business, and affiliate of Porsche, that we can do at our own risk. I don't think they would be too keen on lending their PIWIS, which I think costs in the region of $20,000, and I don't blame them.

I'd be happy to come over and bring my Durametric Pro to show you what you car is set to. But no way I would accept liability for anything you changed in your car.

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

Hi David, the durametric pro is a fantastic tool.

Great for clearing the maintenance indicator when you do your own oil changes, checking for over-revs, checking & clearing fault codes, datalogging, etc.

There are some members who have coded their cars to turn off the DRL's (either to save the HID headlights &/or as a LEO counter-meausure), enabling the remote to control your windows up or down, have the side markers blink as turn signals instead of staying illuminated constantly, shutting off the rear rear spoiler if you've changed to a fixed wing, shut off the tpms sensors, etc.

Attended a similar event today at Calgary BMW. Their dealer scan tool displays a "menu" of country-specific features you can change based on VIN number. For instance, in Canada, you can set the DVD players to the Asia-Pacific region, but you can't set the mirrors to auto-fold. The techs indicated that they aren't allowed to mess with anything outside of the Canada menu (not surprising), and suggested finding an independent shop to make any off-menu changes (with the caution that everything would be reset automatically if the car went through a software update when back at the dealer for service). Oh, and the mirror folding thing is apparently a liability issue in the US. Canada is a casualty of their litigious culture, which is why we can't have them!

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke SOLD!

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon

Attended a similar event today at Calgary BMW. Their dealer scan tool displays a "menu" of country-specific features you can change based on VIN number. For instance, in Canada, you can set the DVD players to the Asia-Pacific region, but you can't set the mirrors to auto-fold. The techs indicated that they aren't allowed to mess with anything outside of the Canada menu (not surprising), and suggested finding an independent shop to make any off-menu changes (with the caution that everything would be reset automatically if the car went through a software update when back at the dealer for service). Oh, and the mirror folding thing is apparently a liability issue in the US. Canada is a casualty of their litigious culture, which is why we can't have them!

Thanks. I'm glad I wasn't thinking too crazy. Almost has me thinking about buying a BMW. [emoji2] I ended up ordering a DURAMETRIC unit from France that says it can connect to my 996. It was cheap, but I wanted to start somewhere. It doesn't say it will connect to my 957, but I will try it anyway when it arrives and report back. Thanks for the post.

• 2 weeks later...

If it is a genuine Durametric it is supposed to work with a 957, in fact, all of these:

[h=5]What cars does it work on?[/h]

• 1989-1995 Porsche 928
  • 1990-1992 Porsche 944
  • 1992-1995 Porsche 968
  • 2004-2006 Porsche Carrera GT (980)
  • 1990-1994 Porsche 911 (964)
  • 1994-1998 Porsche 911 (993)
  • 1998-2004 Porsche 911 (996)
  • 2005-2012 Porsche 911 (997)
  • 2012-2015 Porsche 911 (991)
  • 1997-2004 Porsche Boxster (986)
  • 2005-2012 Porsche Boxster (987)
  • 2013-2015 Porsche Boxster (981)
  • 2003-2007 Porsche Cayenne (955)
  • 2008-2010 Porsche Cayenne (957)
  • 2011-2015 Porsche Cayenne (958)
  • 2010-2015 Porsche Panamera (970)
  • 2005-2013 Porsche Cayman (987)
  • 2014-2015 Porsche Cayman (981)

[h=5]What does it do?[/h]

• Resets service reminders
  • Reads and clears diagnostic trouble codes More Information
  • Displays and logs actual values More Information
  • Shows ECU information More Information
  • Turns off check engine light
  • Turns off airbag light
  • Activates functions (Drive Links)
  • Supports coding changes on some models (requires Professional kit)

[h=5]What systems does it work on?[/h] [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 125]

• DME
  • Airbag
  • ABS
  • Tiptronic

[/TD]

[TD=width: 125]

• Alarm
  • Seat Memory
  • Heating & A/C
  • And more...

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

*Not all features are supported on all modules or vehicles.

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT