996 Turbo idle problem….. please help!

oasis

Hi all,

I have a 01 996 turbo on which I just finished changing the clutch. Upon starting the car after everything was complete the car idles at 2000+ RPM. I checked all the turbo piping for leaks, used a scope to look at all the lines and everything looks good. What I did notice is that if I pull off one of the pipes going into the y-pipe to the throttle body the car starts to idle "normal", if i slowly sneak the pipe back on the car continues to idle "normal" but if i touch the throttle it goes straight back up to 2000+ RPM, if I shut the car off running at the normal idle and restart it goes back to 2000+ RPM. I was worried I pinched a line or pulled something off by accident but can't find anything. Also intermittently when its idling at 2000+ RPM the PSM and ABS lights come on.

Could it be the MAF? I did have the air box out in a dusty shop, could that have caused an issue with the MAF?

TPS? or the check valve behind the throttle body?

Any help, thought, comments, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I would start with cleaning the MAF with an electronic cleaner spray.

After that test for boost leaks using at least 15 psi.

Thanks

Brodie

Thanks Brobie! I'll try a new MAF tonight and see….. I did a leak test and couldn't find any leaks at all. Im thinking/hoping its just the MAF, I did have the air box out and it was sitting on a low shelf near the floor in a dusty shop for a week so thinking it might have gotten some dirt on it causing it to fail.

Hi Mike,

I would start with cleaning the MAF with an electronic cleaner spray.

After that test for boost leaks using at least 15 psi.

Thanks

Brodie

was the battery disconnected when doing the clutch project? removing the negative cable off the battery will reset the computers and sensors which shall return the system to the unlearned state.

A high idle is sign of an air leak in the intake system so I'd look at the related air components removed for the clutch project. Pay attention to where the MAF is connected as well vacuum hoses.

good luck.....Malcolm

Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Thanks for the reply Malcolm!

The battery was fully disconnected for about a week. I did a pressure test and there doesn't seem to be any leaks but as I did pull the airbox out during the job, it seems like things are pointing to the MAF. Going to plug it up to the durametrics tonight and check the voltage to the MAF and also check the TPS, hopefully its one of those.

Mike

was the battery disconnected when doing the clutch project? removing the negative cable off the battery will reset the computers and sensors which shall return the system to the unlearned state.

A high idle is sign of an air leak in the intake system so I'd look at the related air components removed for the clutch project. Pay attention to where the MAF is connected as well vacuum hoses.

good luck.....Malcolm

no worries.

a MAF is made up from a matrix of small wires (similar to the old incandescant light bulbs) that are quite fragile and can break. If its not a big deal pull the MAF and inspect the wires.

If similar with older P cars the TPS can be set by adjusting the throttle cables that if set correctly you'll hear a click from the TPS when the throttle body goes off idle.

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)