100 F road Course

Frank Kelly

Frank Kelly

Going to Vegas Spring Mountain road course, DE, in September. Might go up to 100 F. Driving a 2012 Boxster S Black Edition. What challenges may the heat play on my engine? Trying to find out precautions I need to be aware of.

Frank Kelly

Frank:

I would have your brake fluid changed and upgraded to a higher boiling point. Tell the shop were it is being done you will be tracking the car and want to the brake system bleed.

I just returned from tracking by 2008 Boxster RS60 at Area 27 in Oliver, BC. Temps in the afternoon were 32 or 33. We had 20 cars in two run groups. 4 cars had serious braking issues. One had his fluids changed just prior to leaving Calgary - we suspect there was air bubbles in the brake lines. Luckily the brakes went late in a lap when he was in a slow area of the track.

Kevin

22 Porsche Cayman GT4

21 BMW X5

Couple things you can do to manage the heat...

Make sure your radiators are free of debris.

Keep an eye on the temperature gauge and allow the engine to move the coolant around for a while after you stop after a session .

Turning on the A/C will turn the fans on high speed, but puts more load on the engine.

Take a new rad cap as a precaution and check the area around it between sessions.(remember don't open the rad cap on a warm engine)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perci

PCA DE Instructor

2014 Cayman S

2000 Boxster S

2000 Carrera

2010 Panamera 4S

1989 928GT

Frank,

Kevin and Perci have made excellent points.

The factory brake fluid normally available at the dealer (ATE SL) has a dry boiling point of 260 C. ATE Typ 200 has a dry boiling point of 280C. There are other aftermarket fluids (Motul) which also exceed the factory standard.

I use a very long extension on my vacuum cleaner to remove anything that has collected in the front radiator openings.

The cap on your cooling system expansion tank should be the latest version, the part number printed on top should end with 04.

If you are due for an oil change, why not do it before your trip? Sounds like a great opportunity, report back with a newsletter article!

Marc

KMR 968 Turbo
Good idea also not to set your parking brake just after car coming in after hot lapping. Can warp rotors, etc. Also, have you checked with spring mountain for their regs? I know at Laguna we had the run water only - no antifreeze. We were allowed Water Wetter instead.