Nurburgring advice please - May 2018

canmorecarrera

canmorecarrera
I will be in Frankfurt at the end of May and am thinking of staying a few extra days to visit/drive the Nurburgring. Looking for advice on how to plan. Thank you, Blake.

The club member to ask is Lee Kersch - his website is here: https://www.kerschexoticcarexperience.com/

Lee organizes 'Ring rentals and Euro driving trips. I've been meaning to get in touch with him regarding my own 'Ring/Switzerland/Italy/France excursion I have planned in September. I have a BMW 228i manual reserved through Sixt, but you can't take regular rentals on the 'Ring - the companies have spotters. Check out the cars Lee can arrange though - I'm thinking a Cayman GT4!

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke SOLD!

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon

+1 on no regular rental cars on the 'Ring. I can't speak to spotters being there, (vehicle GPS could also rat you out), but the times I was there my Frankfurt based rental agreement had a specific "Nurburgring forbidden" clause. Beyond that, on tourist days the Ring is considered a public road, and tickets can be issued for unsafe driving. The scariest however is the potential fees charged by the track itself for damage, vehicle recovery, & lost revenue should you be deemed to have caused an incident. They actually have a fee guide & it can run into $10k quite easily. Best course of action is to use one of the services provided at the track, RSR or Ring taxi's come to mind.

I believe Lee is affiliated with RSR. Also fwiw, you can rent a Fiesta ST for $140CDN per lap...or a GT3 RS for $845CDN per lap...(go for the GT3!).

I'll be there in May as well, just not driving the 'Ring this time...*sigh*

Edited by al k
  • 2 weeks later...

This follow-up is more of Nurburgring PSA than anything else.

These 2 videos show an in-car tourist day crash, and the second shows the same crash from a following car, as well as the ensuing chain-reaction crashes.

Driver #1 In a GT3 RS is ESL, but his points are valid

Driver #2 Equally scary for this driver https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIxsnNFNMQk

I can't add anything beyond "be forewarned"...

Al

Edited by al k
Gotta review that trackday insurance policy pretty carefully :cool:

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke SOLD!

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon

• 3 weeks later...
I will be in Frankfurt at the end of May and am thinking of staying a few extra days to visit/drive the Nurburgring. Looking for advice on how to plan. Thank you, Blake.

Hi Blake. My name is LEE Kersch. I help people plan their driving experiences at the Nurburgring and Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium. If you would like some help email me at kerschexoticcar@gmail.com

Edited by kkersch
  • 7 months later...