Introduction

joshw

Other considerations:

Buying a cheaper Porsche can you get into a car but with perhaps much deferred maintenance that quickly adds up.

Porsche parts are expensive even when you find sources of good quality at reasonable price; Pelican for example, then theres shipping and customs fees to Canada. There is some availabilty in Canada; https://order.germanparts.ca/index.html but as you'll find they carry most parts for newer cars, anything beyond 10 years old then your supply becomes limited.

This is all assuming you have the skills and can do said maintenance/repairs yourself or with friends.

A car that you may buy for $20k is perhaps another $30k away in parts and labour from being a $30k car if you were to sell.

Buy the newest car you can with as much documented maintenance. A car with higher mileage thats in good condition and runs well tells you it was well looked after. After youve bought and then driven the car for a season or two you'll be that much better equipped and experieinced to then possibly get into a model you are seeking.

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

Thanks for the feedback Nostrathomas and Malcolm.

As I don't have any personal experience with Porsche's I'm trying to take an educated approach to a purchase. Hopefully, by attending a few Porsche club events and having a chance to view and discus a few of models i'll be able to begin to narrow down the prospects. I'd still prefer an air cooled car, but my span of interest has been expanding.

Nostrathomas I'd love to check out your 964, will you be attending the Wednesday get together?

Edited by joshw
Nostrathomas
Josh, I won't be able to make it Wednesday (unfortunately I just dont have much free time these days) but should be there at the season opener.

1990 964 C2 - Guards Red

2007 Cayman - Guards Red (former)

I think another point you may need to consider is how anal are you? I say this based on my experience. Bought an 81 SC Targa 10 years ago for under 20 grand, ran well, but needed some work. Once you start trying to make it perfect (or to your liking) the dollars add up mighty fast. Long story short, rebuilt motor, suspension, transmission, interior, a few exhaust changes, found original wheels, everything but a paint job and still had that uneasy feeling every time i heard a strange noise (especially with a Targa as cars driving next to you can make a faint noise you think is coming from your car - pure maddening!!).

So if your not anal i would highly recommend the aircooled models over the newer ones (just a sportier feel at safer speed limits!)

Just my $0.02

‘12 Targa 4S - Amythist metallic

'81 SC Targa - sold but not forgotten

No worries Nostrathomas, perhaps someone else we'll bring a 964 or 993.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I can definitely see how you could get carried away with things once you start. I've looked at various online part stores and Porsche part prices are not Ford parts prices. The advice to purchase a good quality car upfront is a good one. As I've read and researched I think a newer air cooled car might better suit us (we have two kids). I personally like some of the older cars, but when it comes to safety the 964 and 993 have three-point rear seat belts. That may mean upping the budget, but the car will be safer, and we'll use it more because I'll feel they're better protected.

• 2 weeks later...

Josh, welcome aboard.

You touched on a very key consideration that should be part of your decision. Family inclusion. You have a passion , but you want that passion to be accessible and include your wife and kids. There will be drives, and ice cream runs, and wing nights, and hanging out in parking lots with great people. When my kids were younger, I was driving mostly 2 seaters (the ones out back don’t really count on early cars). My eldest daughter was for many years my wingman (wing person?) to all these events, memories we both cherish. Newer, safer, more seating are all things that need to be balanced against the vision you may have in your head of how cool a radical outlaw early 911 might be to drive solo...

Good luck, hope to meet at an event or two this season.