2018 PCA WRR NOT-AN-AUTOCROSS AUTO-X EVENT #2 - Sunday, July 15, 2018

2018 AutoX draft 2.jpg

Who knew an empty parking lot plus a bunch of cones could equal so much fun!

Even the rain couldn't damper the spirits & stop 25 drivers from coming out to the first event!

If you missed the first event don't despair...

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN FOR EVENT #2, Sunday, July 15th:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ld-rose-193609

If you haven't already, you will need to register for a free motorsportreg account.

Registration deadline is July 8th.

Registration Fee is $149. (pizza lunch included!)

UPDATE - Former club members & friends of current club members will be allowed to register for the event as well. The registration fee for them will $199.

Edited by dragon

With what we've learned from the last autocross we're making a few changes so everyone can get even more runs.

- The morning meeting and course walk will be much shorter.

We plan on starting the driving at 9:30 am. Please plan on being at the location between 8:30 am to 9 am

- Run groups will be evened out and each group will do 4 laps, then we'll switch to the next group. This will continue through the day.

- We need volunteers! If your a participant it would be awesome but not required if you can help out.

If your planning on spectating, a little volunteering will get you closer to the action, is greatly appreciated and volunteers get lunch!

Please post in this thread or PM if your planning on spectating / volunteering or participating and will volunteer when not driving.

Volunteers so far:

Participants/Volunteers:

Brodie

Yoon

Spectators/Volunteers:

Mark B

Just registered!

Can't wait, the first one was a ton of fun.

Would like to come out and help set-up, organize, and run things for the day ... give those volunteers from the first event a better chance to run. My son Jared and his GTI is addicted. Edited by mbeckergt3

I'm sure there are several people concerned about possible warranty issues from participating in autocross.

Brodie & I figured we get some clarification straight from the best source available.

We stopped by the dealership & spoke with Casey, the service manager at Porsche Centre Calgary.

He confirmed what we expected: that participating in an autocross itself would not completely void your warranty with them.

Obviously consumables like tires & brake pads would not be covered.

If you were to run over a wall of cones & shred some under panels, those would not be covered, no different than if you were to run over a parking curb or a deep icy rut.

If you were to consistently over-rev your engine on the street, autocross or track, your powertrain warranty would probably be voided.

Feel free to contact Casey for clarification.

Probably the biggest job is having enough people to pick up the inevitable cones that get knocked over. The more people we have available for that, the more we can rotate shifts of people.

I will confirm what time we'd like the volunteers there in the morning. It'll probably be around 7am.

Probably the biggest job is having enough people to pick up the inevitable cones that get knocked over. The more people we have available for that, the more we can rotate shifts of people..

I'm happy to do that. I do that all the time for SASC and CSCC autoX's. I also have a lot of experience running start, grid, and timing (MJ timing system).

I registered and paid with only 2 hours left before the sign up deadline passed last night. Hopefully I dotted all my 'T's and crossed my 'I's properly. LOL ...

I already had an account previously setup with motorsportreg.com since I have raced before with the CKRC. So it was just a matter of registering and paying for this event. But I am a autocross newbie. I have experience driving Porsche 911s on race tracks in DE open lapping sessions and I have experience racing a Rotax DD2 kart. But this thing about burning around a parking lot with cones is new to me. Be kind. Hopefully I won't be killing more cones than the average cone killer out there.

Can't wait, only 6 sleeps away!

We have 25 drivers paid & confirmed!

I'm hoping there's no lingering issues with my clutch & it gets broken-in before Sunday.

Only 3 sleeps away!

The lot was recently swept so we will have a fairly clean course & what a course!

It will be a bit longer than any of our previous courses & the course designer (Reijo) modelled a section of it after the triple apex Istanbul corner that Nico Rosberg said it was his favourite corner of the F1 circuit! Coincidentally, it's also incorporated into the Badlands Motorsports track design!

Less than 36 hours to our next auto event!

Tonight's crazy wind did blow a sand storm through the parking lot but the weather looks great for Sunday!

The morning schedule is as follows:

7:00am – Volunteers arrive

Last minute prep & final set-up

8:15am – Volunteers meeting

8:30am – Check-in, waivers, tech inspection forms

Open Course Walk

9:00am – Opening Remarks & Driver’s meeting

9:10am – Guided Course Walk for the newer drivers

9:30am – 1st Set of runs for Group A

I need to pull myself from the event. I went to fill up this morning and closed the car door on the tip of my index finger. There is too much pain and blood to consider my right hand useful for the next few days and driving in an autocross event is out of the question with only one hand. :/

Thanks to everyone who organized the event and a special thanks to the volunteers! I would have stayed longer for more runs and help clean up, but I was almost out of gas, who would’ve thunk I could hit 80 in a parking lot :D

i’ve got a bunch of pictures, so email me your car and email address and I will send you a link to get them all (only a few good ones as I was never in the right place)

email bjames @ snetworks dot com

what a blast!

Bob James

Bob James

06 Cayman S

2018 Macan GTS

Best event ever Yoon! I think you have fine-tuned it to be fun for everyone who attended. The track layout was also incredible and will be tough to beat!

Al