new hi o/p alt and harness

malcolm

Our 928 S4 is 30 years old and the engine bay electrical harness had become somewhat old and brittle (something like its owner :)). My parts source in Tx also supplies a full harness made with all new modern materials to the same dimensions as factory so one was ordered. Because the harness includes the alt connections it was decided to also install a new Bosch high output unit to provide modern day car type electrical power at idle engine speed.

The harness runs power from the starter to alternator, ABS brake system, intake air and water bridge temp sensors, engine oil pressure and level sensors, a/c compressor, 14 pin connector and 12v power post (for easier checking and charging battery vs going into the rear of the car).

The new alternator basically is plug and play with no mods required and the new harness connects similarly as OEM.

Having taken several pics when removing the old harness installing the new was a matter of careful following the reverse of the removal routing under and over many components ensuring no moving engine components were close to the harness.

The alternator also had a new OEM belt installed.

Everything together the car fired up first turn. The engine off battery voltage went from 12.5v to 14.3v at idle, very impressive. As the engine warmed I operated the windows and sunroof all opened and closed much faster than previous :)

The big test will be stuck in the city with full a/c, radio full blast, lights on etc.......I'll post the results.

So far very happy with the results of the new electrical power and the peace of mind from an electrical fire prevention perspective.

Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

thanks Yoon; a labour of love spread over a few evenings in the cave of men apres work.

btw.....I have full wireless connectivity so have all WSM access, PET and other such Porsche needs when spannering away which 'sometimes' channel surfs to the odd football/hockey game. :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

• 3 weeks later...

update: several runs later the new components are all working well and as such will offer my used alternator for sale.

It was rebuilt about 3 years ago and is in perfect operating condition. $150 obo

Edited by malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T