2018 PCA WRR NOT-AN-AUTOCROSS AUTO-X EVENT #3 - Sunday, August 19th 2018

2018 AutoX draft 2.jpg

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN FOR EVENT #3, Sunday, August 19th:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/august-19th-2018-pca-wrr-not-an-autocross-auto-x-2020-airport-trail-wild-rose-658951

If you haven't already, you will need to register for a free motorsportreg account.

Registration deadline is August 12th.

Registration Fee is $149. (pizza lunch included!)

Former club members & friends of current club members will be allowed to register for the event as well.

The registration fee for them will $199.

We're limiting the number of registrants to 30, don't miss out!

The club has purchased an omnidirectional antenna to boost the signal for the timing gear.

This will fix the intermittent timing issue where some times weren't recorded :)

...so this go-around it will register my "Brodie-crushing" time as opposed to mysteriously failing??....:rolleyes:

is "mysteriously failing" akin to "fake news"?

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

Polar Silver/Linen, 192k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'09 Cayenne GTS Tiptronic

Nordic Gold/Black, +336k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

Red/Champagne, 110k miles (US car)

...so this go-around it will register my "Brodie-crushing" time as opposed to mysteriously failing??....:rolleyes:

Yep, it will register all runs, but "your Brodie-crushing time" ? hahaha

Someone must believe in miracles and unicorns. :rolleyes:

You did beat me at one thing.... you're the first to register for August autocross. Congrats!! ;)

...First to register?, I'm seeing a pattern forming!...

So am I. First to register, last to arrive in the morning? hahaha

Yoon and I tested the new antenna and the timing gear connected flawlessly at just under 900 feet.

We wanted to test it further but ran out of room.

Now there won't be any excuses for mis or un-timed runs lol.

Nope, now we got the Yagi involved!! LOL :)

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to the 27 participants who registered & paid on time! This means we have 3 spots left.

Anyone who missed the registration deadline (despite the article in the past newsletter, the numerous posts & threads on this forum & the mass email reminders sent out) but still want to participate is welcome to do.

As noted previously, the late registration fee of $199 will apply.

FYI - for next year's events, the late fee will more than likely be increased.

If not, you can always wait until next year!

Only 5 sleeps until the last event of the season. We will need some more volunteers so if you’re free to help out for part of the day, please post on this thread or contact one of the 4 committee members; Brodie, Al K, Mark B or myself.

I think we have solved any potential timing issues with the new antennas lol.

074ecac35f8c71c3521c7593a044873d.jpg

3afb66d329cac06a6cd5c81d4bf24026.jpg

hi Yoon........pls send a PM or txt re. volunteer duties, I should have time this Sun.

PS.......Im not holding the antenna, thats all Brodie!

cheers.....Malcolm

'21 Macan GTS PDK

Miami Blue/Black, 7k kms

'93 928 GTS 5 speed

'88 928 S4 A/T

Black/Ivory, 190k kms

'88 928 S4 A/T

I want to thank the organizers, volunteers and participants for the very successful day we had ripping around the parking lot burning up tires, brakes and some dino juice. Both myself and my car had big smiles on our faces when we arrived home.
Awesome event indeed! Thanks to all the organizers/volunteers. Mike Dunlop filmed a great clip of me recovering a slide and then punting a cone . . . good fun.

Erik

2001 911 Turbo X50

1980 911SC - Black, 3.2 litre short stroke SOLD!

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black over Cinnamon

Two thumbs up to the organizers, volunteers, and participants for three great, and safe, sessions this year! Learned a lot, spent some more money on the car, and had a blast. Can’t believe we have to wait 10 months for the next one!

‘12 Targa 4S - Amythist metallic

'81 SC Targa - sold but not forgotten

I’d like to thank all the participants & volunteers of our 3rd & sadly, final Not-An-Autocross Auto-X event of 2018 that took place Sunday, August 19th. (my wife & daughter are the only people happy the events are done for the season lol).

What a difference a year makes! Last year the club’s 2 autocross events were on the verge of being cancelled because it struggled to get enough participants. This year we were required to do things a bit differently. The club executive believed in the need to provide this opportunity for the members so much so that they put faith in the committee’s conviction & capabilities by spending some big bucks on equipment just for the events. It worked out great! We increased participation for the first 2 events & sold out this last event!

It’s the amazing support of the club executive, the enthusiastic participation of the drivers & the usually thankless & tireless jobs volunteers do behind the scenes that ensure the success of these events. A big thank you to the performance driving committee: Brodie Green, Al Koenig & Mark Becker as well as our Safety Chair, David McEwan. For the record, even all of us still registered as drivers & paid the registration fee on top of donating, supplying & sponsoring some of the supplies for the event. For this final event of the season, we also sourced & purchased new, more powerful antennas for the timing gear that paid off as not a single issue with the timing gear all day!

In addition to the committee, the following members helped set up the sea of cones the day before: Danielle G, Malcolm B, Mark S, Paul A, & of course local autocross guru, Reijo Silvennoinen, who also designed an amazing course, in fact 1.2 km long course with a section modelled after the triple apex Istanbul corner that Nico Rosberg said it was his favourite corner of the F1 circuit! Coincidentally, it's also incorporated into the Badlands Motorsports track design.

On the actual day, last minute set up in the morning went very smoothly, again because of the volunteers already mentioned but also Kevin J, Ted B, Mike D & Al’s wife Jacqueline, who wrote all the time slips for all the drivers for all 3 events. A big thank you also to the drivers who also spent time out on the course replacing the cones that were knocked over as well as being a really good group overall in terms of following instructions & keeping things flowing. Also a thank you to Porsche Centre Calgary’s Miles McEwing, who donated the lunch for the participants.

Many drivers got more than their money’s worth in the number of runs & expert instruction. The brand new drivers & even experienced drivers left the event having learned something new about their cars & themselves. Each event highlights some areas where we can improve a few things & we’ve already started brainstorming improvements for the next year’s events even though they’re 9-10 months away! We are predicting next year’s events will all sell out very quickly. Depending how the winter goes, the idea of a winter driving event is being tossed around. If that doesn’t happen, oh it’s gonna be a long winter!

Edited by dragon
Forgot stuff
Great event. I've only owned my 997 for about 6 weeks now. But that was the first time I got to drive the car in anger and not worry about getting pulled over. I am definitely game for next season. Perhaps even float the idea of scheduling 4 events instead of 3? Heck why stop at 4. Can I hear 6? Okay maybe getting ahead of myself. 4 will do.